Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should we live?
Singapore 10 28.57%
Penang 3 8.57%
Macau 1 2.86%
Hong Kong 6 17.14%
Taipei 8 22.86%
other 12 34.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 08:07 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
You can live in Hong Kong relatively less expensive by living in some communities on the neighboring islands, i.e. Discovery Bay on Lantau Island.

In those communities, the rent/price of property is relatively cheaper, low density and you have a feeling like living in a foreign country because a lot of the units are occupied by expatriates. Moreover, cars are banned so you have better air quality.

The only humbug is when typhoon comes, you have to rush to go home because the ferry service will be suspended.
Thanks. My wife had never even heard of Discovery Bay so I did some research haha. It does seem possible to shuttle to the metro from Lantau, so ferry isn't the only mode of transport. But yes, you would still want to rush because your travel times will be greatly affected otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How close are you with your relatives and how close is your wife with hers? I think if you wanted them to learn the home language then actually having people outside of school that you think will interact with your kids in that language is probably pretty good. I actually learned Hokkien in the US pretty much entirely off of conversations between older family members via immersion.

Also, as the plan is only to be there for a few years, then I think saving up through the more economical options to spend on trips around the region would seem to me like a great idea in terms of both pedagogy and seeing family.
Fair point. Closest relatives would be in Penang and Macau (kind of...they don't live in Macau full time). But in Penang they all speak English by default so it's still the same issue there, Chinese schools would be the key.

We will see...I am very anxious now for our trip this summer. I anticipate it is entirely possible that experiencing in real life the heat and mosquitos in Singapore and Malaysia (again, cause she has been to both several times before) will remind us that we won't be able to handle it year-round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 02:39 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,563 times
A friend who has lived in both Singapore and Hong Kong, as an expat, prefers HK as there are more leisure options. Singapore is like a perfect city in many ways but personally I could never handle the climate. On our last visit we certainly did find it very expensive compared to years gone by. But the food is wonderful.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:06 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Thanks. My wife had never even heard of Discovery Bay so I did some research haha. It does seem possible to shuttle to the metro from Lantau, so ferry isn't the only mode of transport. But yes, you would still want to rush because your travel times will be greatly affected otherwise.

Fair point. Closest relatives would be in Penang and Macau (kind of...they don't live in Macau full time). But in Penang they all speak English by default so it's still the same issue there, Chinese schools would be the key.

We will see...I am very anxious now for our trip this summer. I anticipate it is entirely possible that experiencing in real life the heat and mosquitos in Singapore and Malaysia (again, cause she has been to both several times before) will remind us that we won't be able to handle it year-round.
I see. If immersing your kids / learning Mandarin or Cantonese is one of the intended goals, then an environment where people actually actively use either one can go a lot further than going to Chinese school which are also available in many major US cities (though of course that doesn't fulfill your other goals). You probably already know this though!

Old 03-22-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I see. If immersing your kids / learning Mandarin or Cantonese is one of the intended goals, then an environment where people actually actively use either one can go a lot further than going to Chinese school which are also available in many major US cities (though of course that doesn't fulfill your other goals). You probably already know this though!
I see what you are saying and I agree with you to a degree.

I just want to clarify terms though to make sure we are on the same page. When I say Chinese school I mean regular schooling where all course instruction is in Chinese language. This would be different from "Chinese School" that is after hours or weekends for teaching a Chinese language. I attended one of those for seven years (in fact my father was the principal for four years) but my ability is abysmal considering how much time I spent doing that lol.

So with that said, I am having trouble finding these Chinese schools that you mention. I wouldn't be shocked if they exist but I can't find information about them. As of 2019 it looks like there are 278 Chinese immersion programs in the US, defined as having 50% of their instruction in Mandarin for K-5 and ~25% for higher grades. That isn't bad but it's not the same as 100%. Does that exist where I can look it up?

https://miparentscouncil.org/full-ma...n-school-list/

Old 03-22-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
A friend who has lived in both Singapore and Hong Kong, as an expat, prefers HK as there are more leisure options. Singapore is like a perfect city in many ways but personally I could never handle the climate. On our last visit we certainly did find it very expensive compared to years gone by. But the food is wonderful.
Totally agree with this.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:00 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,099 times
The regular primary schools in both Singapore and Hong Kong are highly stressful. Depending on your children's age and how much Chinese they know, they may have problem to cope with the Chinese language class.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:01 AM

2,264 posts, read 971,284 times
My kids went to local public schools in Taipei from grades 1 to 4, then transferred to international schools where all instruction is in English. That seemed to be enough for them to gain fluency in Mandarin. After grade 4 the insanity in public schools begins though and you see poor munchkins trudging home from after school cram schools at 10 o'clock at night. The majority of parents who can afford it send their kids to international schools at that point.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
My kids went to local public schools in Taipei from grades 1 to 4, then transferred to international schools where all instruction is in English. That seemed to be enough for them to gain fluency in Mandarin. After grade 4 the insanity in public schools begins though and you see poor munchkins trudging home from after school cram schools at 10 o'clock at night. The majority of parents who can afford it send their kids to international schools at that point.
Thanks for sharing. Great! With the current plan, although rather fluid, the kids will most likely be around 4 and 6 when we move and we'd expect to stay for just 2-3 years, so this might be fairly similar to your kids' experience.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:11 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
OP, seeing that you come from Miami, tell you what, Hong Kong's weather is almost exactly like Tampa or Fort Lauderdale.

Singapore actually arguably has better weather because it has only had one typhoon in recorded history. In terms of natural disasters, Singapore has the least of practically any city in Asia. Plus, Singapore has much better air quality than Hong Kong.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:14 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Singapore may have been ranked the most expensive city in the world by the Economist, but the Economist itself admits that that is largely due to the exorbitant car prices in Singapore, and that groceries in Singapore are cheaper than in NYC. Real estate in Singapore is a bargain compared to Hong Kong or even San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia