Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 12:44 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I think a country with a long hot season cannot be too productive (unless you can afford AC everywhere like in Singapore).

In many regions of India, the temperature reaches 40 C regularly for quite a few months, and the average high is over 30 C for 8 months of a year.
People in such an environment have to be a bit "lazy" and laidback otherwise they get sick.

In most of China, only July and August are very hot but they still cannot be compared to India's May and June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 12:50 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Yep, I thought about that with regard to Africa. That's why reliable electricity supply should probably be the number one priority for developing countries. Once you enable people to feel comfortable, they don't consider work torture, anymore.
Not to mention that many appliances and machines can't take high temps and humidity.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:16 PM

1,087 posts, read 781,889 times
The current world order is not established correctly, and China’s broadening influence should be viewed as a welcomed change. The current world order is from European colonialism with a goal of white supremacy and plundering robbery of resources, along with genocide of natives and oppression. China’s investments in infrastructure and development of trade are viewed positively by other third world and developing countries, not as western media described as “debt trap”(just sour grapes). Economic developments in Middle East, central Asia and Africa also benefits western countries with less migrant refugees.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:02 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
So China "beating" Japan with bullet trains 3 decades after Shinkansen took anyone by huge surprise...

These days Korea are not joking with their idea of a vactrain that may reach 5000 km/h and of course they'll give the contract to the overhyped corrupt south african/american billionaire...you know his name. If they make the vactrain we may agree Korea is the "new japan" with China still enjoying Shinkansen-beaters.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:18 PM

It is not about beating anyone. They need fast public mass transportation, so they build it, here and now. Not decades down the road.

Also, what is the point in traveling at 5000 km/h? Who knows what the consequences on passengers' health would be. Most countries are not even 5000 km across, so by the time you accelerate, you already have to brake again because of the next station Germany already has that problem, and its ICE trains only go 400 km/h or so, and the country is only 1000 km across max.

Also, that system might be vulnerable in all those places where there are lots of quakes.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:29 PM

well I am far from engineer or anything train-related but remember reading somewhere how when the first trains were built (19th century...) there were arguments how the human body "won't survive 100km/h"....also astronauts travel at times around over ~25,000km/h without consequences obviously. I know they're trained and must be within acceptable age but still...

I am also sure China thinks about surpassing Japan every day in plenty of aspects, you would if you had their history. For centuries they were totally overshadowed by Japan while Japan's early culture was heavily influenced by China (writing, martial arts, philosophy...).

Old 04-17-2019, 03:58 PM

I don't share your view on Japan having totally overshadowed China for centuries at all.

On trains you will have a wide range of people, from babies and children to ill and handicapped people to old people. I don't think a 5000 km/h train is the solution for all those people.
What would happen during an emergency stop? People, their pets and baggage would be thrust all over the train or people would break their necks if wearing seat belts.

Last edited by Neuling; 04-17-2019 at 04:10 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 04:17 PM

It doesn't really matter if you're concerned about people's health during such speeds, it only matters if the communist party is concerned and I bet they aren't.

We're talking about a country where human rights are heavily neglected, pollution is a huge problem and I bet their health system isn't that great + the country is quite big...which means if China finds a way to make 10,000 km/h train from Shanghai to _insert_western_chinese_city_here - then they will definitely do it but they can't.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:40 PM

No, in my view there is simply no point in such fast civilian travel. Planes fly at almost 1000 km/h, yet few people fly across an entire big country. Most people travel relatively short distances, even by plane. Whether it takes an hour or a quarter of an hour, doesn't matter.

Those ultra high speeds might only make sense for the military, to move troops to a remote border fast.
They might also make sense for international, especially intercontinental civilian travel, but I doubt one can put one of those tubes on the bottom of the ocean all the way from, say, Lisbon to Rio. Too expensive and difficult.

I think with 5G on the horizon (where China is leading), physical business travel will actually decline as teleconferencing will get to a new dimension, maybe even include augmented reality.

Last edited by Neuling; 04-17-2019 at 04:55 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 05:00 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
It doesn't really matter if you're concerned about people's health during such speeds, it only matters if the communist party is concerned and I bet they aren't.

We're talking about a country where human rights are heavily neglected, pollution is a huge problem and I bet their health system isn't that great + the country is quite big...which means if China finds a way to make 10,000 km/h train from Shanghai to _insert_western_chinese_city_here - then they will definitely do it but they can't.
Don't be brainwashed by the anti China propaganda too much.
Yes it is true that China government does not do well in human rights etc. especially when they feel a threat, but only morons believe China government does not care about people's safety and health at all. After all, the officials are Chinese and humans too.
I know western media tend to portray Chinese officials and even Chinese people as robots with no feeling, but it would be too naive to take it for granted.

Back to the point. Given the technology we have, I don't think we need trains faster than planes either. What is the point? Most people leave their hometown only several times a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia