Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 07:15 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I see how they assimilate the uighers and the tibeteans....

japanese have a right to be frightened by the communist party of china and the people's liberation army and the people's liberation army navy
Very few Uyghurs and Tibetans marry Han Chinese. Their population grows much faster than Han population too.
For example, the one-child policy never applied to Uyghurs and Tibetans.

It is true that they are required to learn Mandarin Chinese now, which may have an effect of weakening their own language. However I do not see a better solution so far. All kids in America are required to learn English in school too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 08:04 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
https://www.wsj.com/articles/xis-uns...na-11556011802

Old 04-23-2019, 10:54 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Not "numerous" and certainly not common. I had lived in China for over 20 years and never seen a single one.
Instead many tourist places in China have Japanese language signs. China also has the largest number of students studying Japanese as a second language.

This is not really "racism" either, more like radical nationalism. Chinese and Japanese belong to the same race. Once assimilated, the "discrimination" is gone.
It isn't really "common" per se but it does happen. I've seen a few restaurants and shops in GZ with anti-japanese signs and also a couple places in when I visited Yangshuo and Guilin, but most of those places were much less busy than those around them and the ones I knew in GZ have all closed.

It became much more of an issue after the anti-Japanese protests and property damage 7 or 8 years ago and has died off as tensions have decressed. Prior to that, as I understand, it wasn't a thing.

There are a lot of Japanese in Shenzhen and a fair number in GZ and as long as they don't talk and expose an accent, they are hard to differentiate from a Chinese person. The Western ideas of race put the two together, but the East Asian interpretation of race considers the two to be separate races; academics and commentators in either nation who have suggested otherwise have been censored or published in the past.

Younger people in China have much less of a problem with Japan, liking it's media, games, food, consumer products, and fashion. The people born before the 70's tend to be the ones who have the biggest issues with Japan, with a much smaller (but still vocal) contingent of younger nationalists carrying the torch.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:13 AM

1,087 posts, read 781,975 times
It seems President Xi was presiding China navy 70 year anniversary hours ago seen in the YouTube video below. The new nuclear ballistic missile Type-096 submarine was seen on display (the sub with a big hump on the back), with 12 JL-3 SLBM launching tube lids. That’s many warheads on display, 12x10=120. It might have been 2 boats of this type, then 2x120=240 warheads on display.

Anyway, China can be a sea power too if it wants.

https://youtu.be/oyVk6EeCE0k

Last edited by 6oo9; 04-24-2019 at 01:53 AM..

Old 04-24-2019, 11:17 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,777,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietvinh View Post
Chinese that don't badmouth can return. But once they badmouth China, they are in the black list whether they are in China or outside of China.

Some sort of compensation? What sort of compensation may i ask? How much money can they get?

You talk like you are knowledgable about their system but do you really know? I do question your honesty. You do have an agenda and people here can see that.

When i see China, i see a system that can roll over their students with tanks and make profits out of organs harvesting their dissidents. The system is pure evil.
I hear Chinese rulers kidnap people in Vietnam for organ harvesting. Is this true? Do Vietnamese people have to learn Chinese now?

Old 04-24-2019, 12:11 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Organ harvesting is mainly associated with Falun Gong as far as I know. I can't rule out that some of the accusations are true, but I am not sure there has been any evidence, yet. It's claims and counter-claims.

Either way, since Falun Gong is a very Chinese religion, fighting it makes little sense in my view, unlike with alien religions. To the contrary, the government should promote it in order to fight silly religions from outside. Falun Gong is not a threat to the political system.

While organ harvesting - if it exists - would be unacceptable, one should not confuse the government with the people. It would be like saying the US or Americans are evil because of the US government's actions (Guantanamo, torture, killing innocent civilians with drones, surveillance of the population, sponsoring of civil wars, etc.).

I heard the government is finally fighting ivory smuggling in a serious way now. Hopefully Chinese morals are evolving...

Last edited by Neuling; 04-24-2019 at 12:25 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Organ harvesting is mainly associated with Falun Gong as far as I know. I can't rule out that some of the accusations are true, but I am not sure there has been any evidence, yet. It's claims and counter-claims.

Either way, since Falun Gong is a very Chinese religion, fighting it makes little sense in my view, unlike with alien religions. To the contrary, the government should promote it in order to fight silly religions from outside. Falun Gong is not a threat to the political system.

I heard the government is finally fighting ivory smuggling in a serious way now.
The Party decided to crack down Falun Gong because they "protested" outside of the central government for days. The reason why they "protested" is because a state run newspaper published an article criticizing some behaviors of FLG followers: avoiding doctors when getting sick, worshiping the leader like god etc.

Their leader Li Hongzhi claimed to be a reincarnation of the Buddha, among other things, and have supernatural power. They also collected huge money and started to gain political power.

The way the government treated them may not be totally legal, and it is true that many of them were "forced" to change their faith. Those who refused to do so were jailed. However, most people in China do not like FLG and consider it a good thing to end it.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It isn't really "common" per se but it does happen. I've seen a few restaurants and shops in GZ with anti-japanese signs and also a couple places in when I visited Yangshuo and Guilin, but most of those places were much less busy than those around them and the ones I knew in GZ have all closed.

It became much more of an issue after the anti-Japanese protests and property damage 7 or 8 years ago and has died off as tensions have decressed. Prior to that, as I understand, it wasn't a thing.

There are a lot of Japanese in Shenzhen and a fair number in GZ and as long as they don't talk and expose an accent, they are hard to differentiate from a Chinese person. The Western ideas of race put the two together, but the East Asian interpretation of race considers the two to be separate races; academics and commentators in either nation who have suggested otherwise have been censored or published in the past.

Younger people in China have much less of a problem with Japan, liking it's media, games, food, consumer products, and fashion. The people born before the 70's tend to be the ones who have the biggest issues with Japan, with a much smaller (but still vocal) contingent of younger nationalists carrying the torch.
Yes there are certainly conflicts from time to time. Sometimes there are even parades/protests.
I would say the hatred between China and Japan is less than that between Korea and Japan.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:38 PM

I don't know, I never quite understood what Falun Gong really is, a religion, a sect, a cult...
But it seems to be of a rather Chinese nature.

Being an atheist, of course I don't think much of anyone claiming supernatural powers But the Chinese are a superstitious people in my view, so they will always engage in certain rituals and practices.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:12 PM

Was just reading a bit on the organ business, it seems to be a global business where rich countries provide the demand, leading to horrible crimes in poorer countries (but not only, organ harvesting even happens in the US). There are organ brokers who charge up to $200k per organ, while the donor receives less than $5k of that, if anything. It seems that doctors and hospitals in the West are also involved in that business.

https://bigthink.com/philip-perry/wh...an-trafficking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia