Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 03:56 PM

3,171 posts, read 1,272,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
But, why do you need to? What does it matter? Is there a reason to speak Arabic?
The reason is, Turks are not arabs. Thats the point. Our language is Turkish.

How smilar Spanish and English are to understand? Turkish is as different.

I understand arabic nothing more than a native english speaker with no spanish knowledge understands spanish.

And the point is, different nations speak different languages.

Last edited by The Grandeur; 10-31-2019 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 04:11 PM

13,622 posts, read 10,024,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
The reason is, Turks are not arabs. Thats the point. Our language is Turkish.

How smilar Spanish and English are to understand? Turkish is as different.

I understand arabic nothing more than a native english speaker with no spanish knowledge understands spanish.
Yeah, I can accept Turks are not Arabs, but hey, many people, especially from the west, are not as knowledgeable as you are about borders, boundaries, and backgrounds of the inhabitants of those countries.

It's okay to speak Turkish, in fact, I have a few relatives that speak Turkish. I don't understand them if they speak it, but that's okay, I'm not expected to.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Yeah, I can accept Turks are not Arabs, but hey, many people, especially from the west, are not as knowledgeable as you are about borders, boundaries, and backgrounds of the inhabitants of those countries.

It's okay to speak Turkish, in fact, I have a few relatives that speak Turkish. I don't understand them if they speak it, but that's okay, I'm not expected to.
This explains about turkish language.

Turkish language and Arabic language don't even come from the same family. It is that much different.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eJRQRD6LAmY&t=279s

Old 10-31-2019, 05:06 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,987,814 times
Most Americans are geographically illiterate, and any Islamic country that's east of Europe and west of India will be seen by them as "Arabic", even countries like Turkey whose languages don't use the Arabic script.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:20 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Turkish is a different language. Arabic is a different langauge. Different nations have different languages. Simple.

Turkey is not an arabic country. Its language is Turkish.

I dont understand anything at all when one speaks arabic. Nothing.
Right. So, why are you asking if Turkey is an Arabic country?

Why is Turkey called Turkey? It is because they descend from the ancient Turks who came from East and Central Asia. You had Turkic people as far north as northern Siberia and as far East as Western and Eastern China, though the Turks of Eastern China are long gone (Xiongnu), you still have the Uighurs in Western China. That means they speak Turkish, which is related to the languages of Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Uzbek, Azeri, Yakut, and the languages of the Tuvan and Baskhortan peoples etc…

The Arabs speak a language that is Semitic and related to Hebrew and Aramaic. Their language isn’t similar to Turkish at all. The only similarities are that the Turkish borrowed a couple of thousand words from Arabic, but Turkish also borrowed many words from Persian and French and increasingly from English these days.

Turkey does have an Arab minority in the East. About 2% or so. However, it has many minorities like Armenians, Greeks, Kurds too. So, no - it’s not Arab.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Right. So, why are you asking if Turkey is an Arabic country?

Why is Turkey called Turkey? It is because they descend from the ancient Turks who came from East and Central Asia. You had Turkic people as far north as northern Siberia and as far East as Western and Eastern China, though the Turks of Eastern China are long gone (Xiongnu), you still have the Uighurs in Western China. That means they speak Turkish, which is related to the languages of Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Uzbek, Azeri, Yakut, and the languages of the Tuvan and Baskhortan peoples etc…

The Arabs speak a language that is Semitic and related to Hebrew and Aramaic. Their language isn’t similar to Turkish at all. The only similarities are that the Turkish borrowed a couple of thousand words from Arabic, but Turkish also borrowed many words from Persian and French and increasingly from English these days.

Turkey does have an Arab minority in the East. About 2% or so. However, it has many minorities like Armenians, Greeks, Kurds too. So, no - it’s not Arab.
I asked if it was seen as an arabic country in the west.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:34 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Only by ignorants. I wouldn't care about their opinion.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:15 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
Quote:
For many people Arab is synonymous with the middle east since they are so dominant and have influenced a lot of middle eastern cultures similar to how France has influenced a lot of European cultures since they were so dominant at one time.

Now going off of this many people who are ignorant about the middle east will assume that everyone from there are basically Arabs so there will be people who will view Turks and others such as Iranians as Arabs, or at the very least closely related. But for those who are knowledgeable will know that Turks and Arabs are different.

But in the end of the day most westerners view Turkey as middle eastern. Do Turks such as yourself view yourselves as middle eastern?

Old 11-01-2019, 02:42 AM

290 posts, read 179,372 times
Spanish and English are a lot more similar than Turkish and arabic. Turkish and arabic are from completely different language families.

Spanish and English on the other hand are both western European languages, Spanish is a Roman language Evolved out of the Latin spoken by ancient Romans, and English is a hybrid of Germanic and Latin languages.

Turkish and arabic on the other hand are like English compared to Bengali.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:53 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,016,828 times
Ha no, but since I'm speaking from the point of view of Bulgaria which has better idea of Turkey for purely geographic reasons. If you ask someone from Australia or Peru, who knows??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia