Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 02:07 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times

Advertisements

Watch the famous movie "Lawrence of Arabia" and you will be convinced that the Turks are not Arabs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=zmr1iSG3RTA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 04:12 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
Yes, I think Iran is much more likely to be considered an Arab country than Turkey.

They use arabic looking alphabet which will confuse a lot of people...Turkey also used to write in arabic letters back in the days around the Ottoman empire, it was somewhat popular even in Bulgaria but not that much.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:44 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,620 times
Quote:
Yes, I think Iran is much more likely to be considered an Arab country than Turkey.
Well Iranians and Arabs have been at odds for thousands of years. Even their version of Islam of Iranians is different than most Arabs.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:34 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
Quote:
The name Iran has its roots in the word Ayran. The original Iranians were Aryans. All of the Iranians that I have known definitely do not consider themselves to be Arabian - some actually get angry at the idea.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:54 PM

3,171 posts, read 1,273,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
They use arabic looking alphabet which will confuse a lot of people...Turkey also used to write in arabic letters back in the days around the Ottoman empire, it was somewhat popular even in Bulgaria but not that much.
On internet I encounter westerners calling turks arabs.

I dont know why someone would be called something he wasn't.

Nationality has nothing to do with religion. You gotta look at the language.

I dont understand sh*t when arabic is spoken around me. And I find it pretty funny when I am called an arab by a westerner.

Azerbaijan is the closest country to Turkey. I would understand like 70 percent of what they say. not knowing Azerbaijan Turkish.

Last edited by The Grandeur; 11-05-2019 at 02:15 PM..

Old 11-05-2019, 10:31 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
On internet I encounter westerners calling turks arabs.

I dont know why someone would be called something he wasn't.

Nationality has nothing to do with religion. You gotta look at the language.

I dont understand sh*t when arabic is spoken around me. And I find it pretty funny when I am called an arab by a westerner.

Azerbaijan is the closest country to Turkey. I would understand like 70 percent of what they say. not knowing Azerbaijan Turkish.

"West" as in Brazil or Australia: yes.

But with Bulgaria people at least know he basic things for obvious geographical reasons.

I'd assume you also understand Kazakh or Kyrgyz but could be wrong.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:13 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
No, Turkey is not arabic. It's turkish.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:57 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,287,431 times
I guess for a lot of people Turkey is a very confusing country.

And in my experience Turks are pretty defensive on the subject because I guess a lot of them have been confronted with mild racism and / or general ignorance about their country.

The usual thing being someone else told them they didn't look Turk since they had blonde or red hair and obviously many westerners expect Turks to look like people from Yemen or something, which is obviously not the case as it's a very varied country.

As for me I have met a bunch of people from Turkey and it's always great to meet them.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:28 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,945,840 times
What is it with Turks distancing themselves from West Asians and the Arab world, considering that most of Turkey is in West Asia and Turks are in general Middle Eastern culturally (music, food, religion)? It really irks me.

I come across a lot of Turks who try hard being "western" or "European" and would scorn Levantines, even looking down on them, despite the fact that many Turks still resemble Middle Easterners (barring Gulf Arabs). But in the same breath, despite their hostility towards Levantines, they will still be very Islamic and traditional in their views. Sorry, but that's an oxymoron and contradicting, considering that Islam is a very Arab religion itself.

Excuse my outburst, but I hang around in the anthropology forums and many Turks swarm in there, asking users how well they pass in Europe, thumbing up those who say "you pass well in Europe" and getting mad at those that say "you look more Middle Eastern". It's pretty hilarious and pathetic.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:10 PM

394 posts, read 597,855 times
I think most just lump Turkey into the Arab countries and the Middle East. It is very much not considered European.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia