Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 07:04 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Great info. Since you are on the ground there a couple of questions:
China reported having only 82,000 thousand positive cases with under 10,000 dead, and the cases completely stopped growing sometime in March with no new cases. Yet I've read several articles which say that China is lying, that the REAL count is probably well over a million positive cases, with closer to 100,000 dead. Seems like a huge disparity between the two. What say you?
I was a firm believer from the start that the numbers that were coming out were heavily edited; China does this with everything, so why should this be any different? However, there are estimates out there that vary from 10k to over 1m deaths... There is a massive spread of estimations that vary from reasonable to fantastical.

Photos from crematoriums in Wuhan of the number of people waiting to pick up remains and also of urns being delivered or stored, combined with statements about the number of sets of ashes released per day would indicate that there are considerably more dead than what were quoted; a few journals have estimated 40-50k in that city. Most Chinese people seem to also expect that the number is higher than the official tally, but the true number will never be known. It has already been stated somewhat apologetically that many people died at home or outside of hospitals and weren't tested or given postmortems due to the volume of deaths; this can be taken as a defacto admission that the published numbers aren't fully accurate, though with the caveat that it is due to the chaotic circumstances of the calamity and not due to official interference.

Especially as numbers come out of the US, Italy, and Spain, I think we will see a perhaps more accurate set of metrics for a similar situation (low rates of self-quarantine/social distancting early on, medical systems that get slammed with a deluge of patients all at once). These can be compared to the numbers from SK, SG, HK, and Germany, where governments rallied early on and citizens complied more readily with countermeasures, for a bigger picture of the disease's deadliness and also the best ways to handle an epi/pandemic. Hopefully after this, the worst-affected govt's and people will take future scenarios more seriously.

Quote:
Plus if the million is more accurate, with new cases still popping up, we learn that China is re opening the economy, and the lockdown has been lifted. How exactly is that working out? Are people still going to back to life as usual, knowing that the virus is still growing?
Things started to return somewhat to normal about a month ago - easing of restrictions on going outside, more businesses being allowed to open, etc. At this point, most shops in my area have reopened though there are a noticeable number of shops that either have closed or are closing. The skies over my area of Shenzhen have remained crystal clear up until the rain came in a few days ago, which is an anecdotal indicator that factories aren't back up to full capacity; many of the guys I know who work with factories have said that orders still aren't being filled due to a lack of returned workers. Most people are still choosing to stay inside if possible to avoid reinfection, preferring to order food and groceries in, and many of the migrant workers who form the backbone of China's manufacturing are still in their hometowns.

Schools are still shut and the open date has been pushed back many times. Our daughter's kindergarten cancelled the semester; this is also one of the reasons many people haven't returned to work, but schools would be hotbeds for infection and it's a terrible idea to open them right now.

A few days ago, Li Keqiang made a public announcement for local and provincial governments to be honest about their infection numbers, which seems to contradict the grandiose "zero new infections" claim. Usually, public statements like this are made in large part to lay a defensive foundation for the central government in the event that later, something negative comes to light; "yes, it turns out that there were 50k more cases than we said but that's because we were lied to by provincial officials!"

Old 04-01-2020, 01:15 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,472,603 times
https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-wuhan...ar-11585733403

Old 04-01-2020, 03:04 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I am in China too and agree with 415_s2k.

But i see very little point of posting here as it is filled with China haters, who just spend all day wishing that China will collapse.
The world all around is in chaos, people are dropping dead like flies in a fire, and you are surprised that there isn't much love left for China.

Sorry man, but I think this planet would be better off with no China in it.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:33 PM

45 posts, read 30,160 times
I think China has been conducting a cold war with the U.S. ever since Nixon normalized relations in the 1970s, but the U.S. does not know it yet. They have a long term view of the world, while the U.S. flits from election to election.

It would take U.S. politicians to have a backbone to change the situation, but there is not much hope for that as they are influenced by foreign lobbyists more than common sense.

Just look at the Buy American Act as one example, and how it changed from the 1980s to the present. It is now toothless.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:14 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
So this Coronavirus came from China
Italy is getting ravaged now and they have had a heavy chinese presence for a few years now
Several countries getting screwed currently have the same story; China is heavily involved in their economies weather due to tourism or business.
This was part of the Chinese initiative to expand its reach globally.
Do y’all think this is now over for China?
Supposedly the British are enraged at China

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boris-joh...075257081.html

Is this the start of the push back on Chinese domination or just a mere blip?
Yes, the Chinese regime is incredibly fragile and on the tip of collapse. Nothing they do has been making any sense. Everything they do is sure-fire self destruction. Totalitarianism is idiotic at its core.

With infinite power comes infinite stupidity. Whenever a leader rises to dictator he will lose his mind if he hasn't already. Absolute power sucks the leaders' brains out absolutely.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:37 PM

7,142 posts, read 4,736,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
As of today America, Italy and Spain are the biggest threats to freedom...not Chins with infection under control.
China lied in the beginning, they lied about how many were infected and died, and they’re lying now pretending things are “under control.” Educate yourself. How stupid can people be. As of today China is closing facilities, parks, tourist destinations. Get a clue!

Old 04-01-2020, 10:49 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post

This is exactly why Chinese people should care less about what outsiders say. Very few "criticizers" want China to succeed. Instead, they sincerely want China to collapse.

In the west, actually most common people don't think about China too much. Those who always "criticize" tend to be racist and hostile to Chinese people too, and it is not a coincident.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:51 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
China lied in the beginning, they lied about how many were infected and died, and they’re lying now pretending things are “under control.” Educate yourself. How stupid can people be. As of today China is closing facilities, parks, tourist destinations. Get a clue!
Lying or not, China reopened most businesses and some provinces already reopened schools.
In New Jersey, on the other hand, 80% testers turned out to be positive. Tell me there is no under-report.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:45 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
The world all around is in chaos, people are dropping dead like flies in a fire, and you are surprised that there isn't much love left for China.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:08 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
This is exactly why Chinese people should care less about what outsiders say. Very few "criticizers" want China to succeed. Instead, they sincerely want China to collapse.

In the west, actually most common people don't think about China too much. Those who always "criticize" tend to be racist and hostile to Chinese people too, and it is not a coincident.
My Chinese and Taiwanese immigrant friends criticize China the most of all the people I know. For my Chinese friends, maybe it's because they can actually talk freely now(?).

I dunno, it'd be nice to go to Chendu without the CCP, but until then Flushing makes damn good Sichuan food in NYC, and I have my friends from China to show me the real stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia