Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2020, 09:45 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
The people of New Orleans and Louisiana thought that too. Not true.
It is true, and it's not the same climate.
N.O. and LA are 2,000 + miles from the equator and have a climate described as "subtropical" and a brief but definitive winter.
Vietnam is about 500 miles from the equator (then stretching north) and is considered the tropics (except for maybe the high mountains and extreme north).

But also, like China's neighboring countries, they are more accustomed to virus and the draconian measures needed to deal with it. Vietnam started taking measures way early, and have not only a disciplined population but a culture and authoritative government structure of surveillance and strict punishment to enforce these laws.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:11 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,737,314 times
So yeah, China still has cases. They are just keeping it quiet. Which is why I created this thread. We cannot afford to allow China to have such a dominant role in world trade when they are so reckless with something like this which has now gone on to infect millions and kill so many around the world. They would rather "save face" and let the rest of the world burn instead of trying to be open and transparent. And on health issues, we need openness. I'm hoping the rest of the world re evaluates just what China brings to the relationship. Not just low prices, but this as well. --from biafra4life

I want to THANK YOU many times for starting the thread. Can't rep you more, but this is extremely important. The entire world and our country in it should set aside political correctness and evaluate the way we do trade and business with China and everyone else. Our survival depends on it.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:37 AM

1,066 posts, read 765,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I was never a hardcore "buy American" type of consumer, for example all my cars have always been Japanese...but I'm definitely going to take a harder look at trying to find American alternatives to just buying Chinese all the time.

What say you?
Agree. We already buy USA goods over anything made in China when we have the choice, realizing that often materials for certain goods are sourced elsewhere even so.

I feel like this should be a good opportunity for America to look inside itself and initiate something of a renaissance with respect to redeveloping manufacturing that trickled overseas over time. Bring it back home. We'd have to pay handsomely, since there is such a big disparity in wages.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:59 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Again, lots of claims, but no proof. Do the people who claim China is lying about not having registered any new corona deaths today have any proof to the contrary?
According to the official data China has only 1242 active cases left, Ireland has 5165 active cases and also reports zero deaths today. Japan has 3222 active cases and not a single death either.

Also, unlike what people here say, China has a pretty good, modern healthcare system, especially in the cities. They do have a pharma problem, but that is not really important regarding corona.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:55 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Again, lots of claims, but no proof. Do the people who claim China is lying about not having registered any new corona deaths today have any proof to the contrary?
According to the official data China has only 1242 active cases left, Ireland has 5165 active cases and also reports zero deaths today. Japan has 3222 active cases and not a single death either.

Also, unlike what people here say, China has a pretty good, modern healthcare system, especially in the cities. They do have a pharma problem, but that is not really important regarding corona.

keep telling yourself that

Old 04-07-2020, 12:00 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:

Most of what I've experienced in terms of healthcare here was mediocre at best and inept at worst, which is the generally held viewpoint in the expat community. Wealthy and powerful Chinese nationals are well-known for pursuing serious medical treatment elsewhere.

I broke my arm a couple years ago and they used wood bark to fashion a splint, then wrap it. I had to have it replaced weekly. It didn't do a particularly good job of isolating it and now I have a weird "click" when I raise the arm above my head while holding more than 5 or 6kg.

Its widely established that China lies or embellishes routinely about many things; I don't understand why all of a sudden it's supposed to get a pass, now. The situation is certainly better than it has been but I doubt the claims of zero infections, of it effectively being "beaten." It's the perfect time for a PR push...

Old 04-07-2020, 12:06 PM

Are they still testing a lot for Coronavirus?

They still do report new infections, which is actually worse than new deaths because those deaths are the result of infections weeks ago.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Most of what I've experienced in terms of healthcare here was mediocre at best and inept at worst, which is the generally held viewpoint in the expat community. Wealthy and powerful Chinese nationals are well-known for pursuing serious medical treatment elsewhere.

I broke my arm a couple years ago and they used wood bark to fashion a splint, then wrap it. I had to have it replaced weekly. It didn't do a particularly good job of isolating it and now I have a weird "click" when I raise the arm above my head while holding more than 5 or 6kg.

Its widely established that China lies or embellishes routinely about many things; I don't understand why all of a sudden it's supposed to get a pass, now. The situation is certainly better than it has been but I doubt the claims of zero infections, of it effectively being "beaten." It's the perfect time for a PR push...
What I think nothing of is much of traditional Chinese medicine, which in my view is mostly based on superstition. Even worse, that superstition has long become a problem for certain animal species.
Superstition/religion and habits are areas where China needs to modernize.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:29 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
Quote:
What I think nothing of is much of traditional Chinese medicine, which in my view is mostly based on superstition. Even worse, that superstition has long become a problem for certain animal species.
Superstition/religion and habits are areas where China needs to modernize.

I thought being an orwellian police that controls people through social media and fear, and puts them in concentration camps would be enough to change dark age habits.

I guess Room 101 doesn't work enough.

https://news.yahoo.com/china-spokesm...102935148.html

Old 04-07-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I thought being an orwellian police that controls people through social media and fear, and puts them in concentration camps would be enough to change dark age habits.

I guess Room 101 doesn't work enough.

https://news.yahoo.com/china-spokesm...102935148.html
There are reeducation camps, not concentration camps.
Surveillance in the West is just as troubling, I don't trust Western governments, especially the American one, any more than the Chinese one.
Room 101? The waterboarding news came from insiders of the Orwellian US police state.

But I think Xi has realized the need to get rid of superstition/religion, he is an outspoken opponent of those silly religions from the Middle East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia