Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 PM

43 posts, read 46,911 times

Advertisements

I originally started reading the Bible as a way of arguing against it. Over time, I've become quite religious, but I've never embraced Christianity or scripture as a whole.

I advise strong Biblical literacy in Christians as a way of making them more liberal, as that's the usual result. I advise it in those who like to argue from an atheist or liberal perspective as well. To be fair though, I also try to get liberals and atheists to study Philosophy of Science and Epistemology, just to take a bit of the swagger out of them as well.

In both cases though, it is important to approach this sort of thing as an attempt to educate, rather then defeat a person ideologically. Likewise, it helps to keep yourself ready to abandon ideas you hold dear in the name of learning. That can be abrasive, but such is growth, eh?

Send me a message if you want a list of Bible quotes that disagree with standard conservative Christian stances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 01:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,221,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunniRabbi View Post
I advise strong Biblical literacy in Christians as a way of making them more liberal, as that's the usual result.
It is? I have not found that to be true. In any case, Bible verses can be found to supposrt almost any viewpoint, liberal or conservative.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:06 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,640,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunniRabbi View Post

I advise strong Biblical literacy in Christians as a way of making them more liberal, as that's the usual result.
Really? That's not been my experience AT ALL, but maybe you didn't grow up with a bunch of radical bible-thumping, make it say what you want it to say, fundamentalist nutjobs. Ok, not All of them were nutjobs, but their view of the Bible and what it was actually saying was highly subjective and just wrong, imo. I believe the Bible to be a spiritual guide book, not to be taken literally in most instances (such as obvious symbolism) and is not where the actual "word" of God is to be found. That is found written in our hearts, it even says that in the bible. But I won't quote scripture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It is? I have not found that to be true. In any case, Bible verses can be found to supposrt almost any viewpoint, liberal or conservative.
True dat catman.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:04 AM

17,852 posts, read 13,776,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
In any case, few verses from the Bible will actually stand alone. They have to be considered in context to find the real meanings.
Ah, I love the old "taken out of context" bit.

Exactly what is "context"?

Is it the several verses around a particular verse that may or may not constitute a story or parable?

Is it the chapter in which the verse is located?

Is it a number of chapters or the whole biblical book in which which the verse is located?

Is it the books that a particular biblical author wrote, or a series of books which are concerned with the same subject matter (ie-the gospels).?

Is it the entire canon (new testament or old testament)?

Is it the whole bible?

Is it whatever you want it to be when a skeptic (or a believer of another doctrinal approach) cites a verse that is contradictory to your particular stance on an issue?

Old 01-29-2011, 04:10 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,716,615 times
Is it the time in which it was said?

Old 01-29-2011, 04:23 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,251,698 times
Anywayz, quoting the Bible doesn't prove a thing; parrots quote their human owners all the time and they have no clue what they're saying.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:01 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,560,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Ah, I love the old "taken out of context" bit.

Exactly what is "context"?

Is it the several verses around a particular verse that may or may not constitute a story or parable?
Yes.

Quote:
Is it the chapter in which the verse is located?
Yes.

Quote:
Is it a number of chapters or the whole biblical book in which which the verse is located?
The number of chapters? No. Who wrote the book and to whom? Yes.

Quote:
Is it the books that a particular biblical author wrote, or a series of books which are concerned with the same subject matter (ie-the gospels).?
Yes and no.

Quote:
Is it the entire canon (new testament or old testament)?
Absolutely.

Quote:
Is it the whole bible?
Of course. You wouldn't pick a couple of quotations out of "War and Peace" as evidence you understand the whole book would you?

Quote:
Is it whatever you want it to be when a skeptic (or a believer of another doctrinal approach) cites a verse that is contradictory to your particular stance on an issue?
Nope.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Anywayz, quoting the Bible doesn't prove a thing; parrots quote their human owners all the time and they have no clue what they're saying.
It certainly doesn't mean anything to those who don't believe the Bible is the revealed word of God.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Is it the time in which it was said?
Partly. Time and circumstance does matter.

For instance, what God said to Moses on the mount may, or may not, be applicable to future generations and to understand what He said requires one to separate that which is Hebrew-specific from that that which is not.

That's not to say that the instructions He gave the Israelites in the desert never has any meaning to us now, but it does mean we have to understand the difference which time and circumstance gives it.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:00 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,570,759 times
I see the verse spouting to be merely regurgitating nonsense based on a keyword search in their memory. It exhibits zero intelligence and the absence of any thought process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism