Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 04:54 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Hell is hell and it's the same destination for those who deny God. Although there are some similarities in certain aspects between the Judeo/Christian and Islamic faiths, the one true messenger from the Father is the Son and he showed us how much God loves us in John 3:16 For God he so loved the world, he gave his one and only begotten Son, for whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God sent his Son into the world not to condemn it, but to save it. - Even Mohammed, the Islamic prophet said that "The world will see the end and man will face judgement when the Son returns".

Bottom line is, when you look at the graves of Buhdah, Mohammed, Joseph Smith Jr., and others, they all have skeletons in them. When you look at tomb of Jesus, it's empty. And it's not a myth, Mary Magdelene, and the disciples saw Jesus after the resurrection, and everything that was prophesied about him, came to pass. So why should we doubt what was said in the Bible about Jesus' return and how judgement will be passed upon those who denied him?
We doubt it because the bible is a book like any other book, open to interpretation and question.

Wach out Mike, you might be converted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 04:54 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,858,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
How come no one answers any of my questions? They are sincere and from a former strict Catholic. Doesn't anyone like Catholics here?
Sorry AZLoafer, I've been busy answering the questions of others.

God loves everybody, even Catholics.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
We doubt it because the bible is a book like any other book, open to interpretation and question.
Look at the prophesies of the Old Testament, there were many instances where they wrote about Jesus hundreds of years before he came down to earth, best example is the Book of Isaiah 53. Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Why would you doubt something that was written about 800 years before Jesus was born?

Old 08-08-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Look at the prophesies of the Old Testament, there were many instances where they wrote about Jesus hundreds of years before he came down to earth, best example is the Book of Isaiah 53. Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Why would you doubt something that was written about 800 years before Jesus was born?
With all due respect...How do you know when that was written? Do you take that on faith or is there proof? What if it was just made up?

Old 08-08-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
With all due respect...How do you know when that was written? Do you take that on faith or is there proof? What if it was just made up?
I not only have strong faith in what was written in Bible, but I've also seen all of the good things God has done in my life and the lives on many others, who know Jesus.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I not only have strong faith in what was written in Bible, but I've also seen all of the good things God has done in my life and the lives on many others, who know Jesus.
How do you know that God is responsible for the good things? What about the bad? Seriously, I have had a lot of bad things happen to me. I am disabled and I think God has abandoned me.

I always tell my wife that when I die (men normally die first) I will attempt to communicate with her and let her know if there is a heaven or if it is all one big sham. I guess I went from a strict Catholic to an agnostic. Shouldn't a just God take all that into consideration and give me a pardon for some doubt?

Old 08-08-2007, 05:32 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
One benefit of being an atheist is to understand that this life is the only life.
That means to value this life, to get the most from this life; to live, to experience, to learn. To view life as to what I'm doing and what I've done, instead of speculating about an afterlife.
Another benefit is not to waste time with prayer (because no one is listening), and not to expect miracles.
Still another benefit...I think what I want without the feeling that some supernatural creature is constantly looking over my shoulder, just waiting for a reason to punish me.
If thats your only benefits as an atheist, I am even more proud to call myself a Christian.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
How do you know that God is responsible for the good things? What about the bad? Seriously, I have had a lot of bad things happen to me. I am disabled and I think God has abandoned me.

I always tell my wife that when I die (men normally die first) I will attempt to communicate with her and let her know if there is a heaven or if it is all one big sham. I guess I went from a strict Catholic to an agnostic. Shouldn't a just God take all that into consideration and give me a pardon for some doubt?
Because God pulled me out of situations that would have killed others.

That's the one mistake many people make when things go wrong in their lives and that is turn away from God because you feel he has abandoned you. In many instances, it's mentioned in the Bible that God puts us through trials and tribulations to test our faith in him. Look at Abraham and Isaac when God asked Abraham to sacraifice Isaac for him, but you know how that turned when God asked Abraham to put the knife away and not harm the boy.

Look at the nation of Israel, when they were enslaved by the Egyptians for 400 years, when God sent them Moses who freed them and led them to their land, but only after 40 years in the wilderness because many have strayed from the righteous path.

If you abandon God, you'll only end up in a downward spiral. Ask a pastor from a Bible-based church and find out how restoring your faith in God can also restore you spiritually and possibly even physically. What have you got to lose?

Old 08-08-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Question For The Atheist...

What stops you from commiting crimes like stealing, murder, etc. You won't be punished, according to your beliefs. At least not if the law doesn't catch you.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:47 PM

103 posts, read 92,376 times
Quote:

Ever hear of self-fulfilling prophesy? Maybe Jesus, knowing the prophesies very well, orchestrated an elaborate series of events that made it look like he was the one prophesied in the earlier scriptures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism