Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 12:48 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
What is more logical about assuming the supernatural? How can logic be applied to something which, by definition, cannot be understood, explained or evidenced?

Why would this cause be a deity? I could just as easily claim that first cause is a force rather than a being. Either explanation is equally in/valid.
Maybe logic is not the best word to describe what I mean. I just feel it requires a smaller leap of faith to think that whatever this first cause is, consists of something outside the bounds of natural laws and phenomena. Could be a "force" or something natural, but that seems less likely to me. But then that's part of why I'm not an atheist, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 01:04 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Maybe logic is not the best word to describe what I mean. I just feel it requires a smaller leap of faith to think that whatever this first cause is, consists of something outside the bounds of natural laws and phenomena. Could be a "force" or something natural, but that seems less likely to me. But then that's part of why I'm not an atheist, I guess.
It requires no faith at all to admit "I don't know," which is what science and I (and I'd bet most atheists) say on the matter.

When you use the word "likely," you are indeed implying logic and reason. However, one cannot apply probability to an occurrence in which the variables are unknown.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:10 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
It requires no faith at all to admit "I don't know," which is what science and I (and I'd bet most atheists) say on the matter.

When you use the word "likely," you are indeed implying logic and reason. However, one cannot apply probability to an occurrence in which the variables are unknown.
Well, essentially, then, it sounds like you are saying that it is "unknowable." So how can you be sure first cause was not a deity? Wouldn't that make an agnostic position more accurate than an atheistic one?

Old 08-07-2007, 01:16 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,393 times
Quote:
Well, essentially, then, it sounds like you are saying that it is "unknowable." So how can you be sure first cause was not a deity? Wouldn't that make an agnostic position more accurate than an atheistic one?
ZING! Seems logical to me...

Old 08-07-2007, 01:16 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisNemesis View Post
What does "true believer" mean? I'm a "true disbeliever" in God. Anyways, you have no need to share your belief in God to those who disbelieve. They've already proven God doesn't exist in their heads.
You obviously knew what I meant by "true believer", so no further comment.

And yes... some of us do believe we "have a need" to share our beliefs. The Bible tells us to spread the Word of God. Never be ashamed of Him.

I don't intend to change everyone's mind about their beliefs. No one could do this feat. I do however intend to tell people what my experiences, beliefs, hopes and dreams are. You don't need to listen, agree, nor understand. But I do so, just because there is a slight chance that something I say, something I believe, something I've gone through will help one person in their quest.

Peace

Old 08-07-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Agnosticism deals with knowledge. Atheism describes belief. The two are not comparable. This is a common misconception, but I and others have covered it before.

I believe my car will start today. (compare to a/theism)
I don't know that it will start. (compare to agnosticism)

No, I didn't say it is unknowable. I said it is unknown. Big difference.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:33 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,931 times
Do you admit to being a sinner?

Old 08-07-2007, 01:33 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,744 times
Default Question...

Statistically, are their more agnostics than atheists?

Old 08-07-2007, 01:48 PM

20 posts, read 36,237 times
Quote:
My only comment on this would be that assuming an alien civilation theory still leaves the philosophical "problem" of first cause. Assuming that, what would have caused the aliens to exist? I know you atheist will disagree but I find it a lot easier to believe in a uncaused, eternal deity than something in the natural being eternal or "uncaused." But that's just me.
I have NO problem with uncaused origins. In quantum physics there is an entity called a "virtual particle" that just pops into and out of existence completely at random. Now, I will grant you that subatomic particles are not visible, therefore no one has ever actually seen a virtual particle, but the solutions for certain problems that consider the existence of them are much more "elegant" than the solutions to the same problems that do not consider them.

I have a great deal more problem with the idea of an uncaused "intelligence."

Old 08-07-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Do you admit to being a sinner?
Define sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism