Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 01:51 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Define sin.
That's a good question. What is sin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 01:54 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 565,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Statistically, are their more agnostics than atheists?
They are two distinct categories, so it is hard to compare. There are agnostic atheists and agnostic theists (as well as gnostic atheists and gnostic theists).

Old 08-07-2007, 02:05 PM

20 posts, read 36,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
this brings up an important point. If you are not concerned about what happens after death, then the entire point of Christianity, Jesus, forgiveness, sin, or whatever, is also pointless.

There are those people to whom the thought of eternal nothingness is terrifying.
This is one reason I can no longer be a Christian. Death and oblivion mean nothing to me. It's merely cessation. It can hold no terror for me because I will not be conscious of it.
Quote:
I don't know if ALL major religions teach some sort of continuation, but for the Christians that feel this way, there is the necessity of believing that Jesus was crucified.
That is fine for them on their path. I, personally, would not want to live forever in either a heaven or a hell. To be honest they both sound like pretty boring places.

As for "Pascal's Wager," I consider it to be just about the most cynical, self-serving and insincere reason for calling yourself a Christian that exists. If: 1) I am wrong about the afterlife; and 2) I have lived a good and moral life; 3); and 3) the God you believe in chooses to send me to eternal punishment because I did not believe in Him, then I would submit to you that He is a God unworthy of worship because He is an unjust God. He is the kind of God who would punish Ghandi and the Dalai Lama for eternity because they weren't members of the right sect, and reward Adolph Hitler and Benito Mussolini because they were baptized Roman Catholics.
Quote:
Native Americans traditional beliefs are closely linked to various things of Nature such as Father Sun, The Spirt of the Mountain or Mother Moon. Old Indian traditions also value the spirits of the animals. Christians usually don't like to admit that animals might have spirits.
Christians also don't like to admit how many of their cherished religious doctrines are "borrowed" from various pagan traditions. ...

Old 08-07-2007, 02:33 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,744 times
How do we know that the bible is more than just another book? Why do we put all this belief in this book and not others?

And on another note, it seems that believers use the parts of the bible that sound good to them and skip the other parts.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Convenient? Hardly. Look at how much scorn is given to those of us who believe in this silly fairy tail of a "God".
Well, I'm really sorry you feel that way. I know a FEW non-believers who act that way but the VAST majority of us are really fairly polite people. We're also mature enough to understand that freedom of non-belief for us requires that we acknowledge freedom of belief for others.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
That's weird...I think being an atheist is much easier in the sense of living life. On the flip side...it's not happier IMO.
In all honesty I am MUCH happier as an atheist than I was when I was a Christian. I guess that's why there's chocolate and vanilla.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:08 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninewands View Post
Well, I'm really sorry you feel that way. I know a FEW non-believers who act that way but the VAST majority of us are really fairly polite people. We're also mature enough to understand that freedom of non-belief for us requires that we acknowledge freedom of belief for others.
This is true for you and for others, ninewands, and for that I am thankful. But just as there are jerk-Christians out there, there are jerk-athiests as well who love to show their disdain for us Holy Rollers.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Well I'm not Jazzed but here's what I think, as a Christian.

It is EASIER to live life as an athiest because you only have to do what you feel is right, within societal bounderies. Christians must live according to what God says is right,
... but before an atheist can do what he (generic masculine, not sexist masculine) feels is right, he must DECIDE for himself what IS right. This is considerably more difficult than consulting a set of rules laid down by an authority figure. With freedom comes responsibility. Not to be heaping scorn or ridiculing Christianity, but "the Devil made me do it" doesn't get an atheist off the hook for his mistakes because we don't believe in that him either.
Quote:
and to believe in Christianity means you believe in consequences after death, positive or negative. The negative aspect puts a sort of pressure on Christians to do what is right. So in this sense, being an athiest is easier.
The pressure on an atheist to do right is the pressure of being 100% responsible for your own acts 100% of the time. Think about it. NO guidance except your own conscience. No authority figure to say, "do this ... don't do that." I would submit that it takes a great deal more moral maturity to live a moral life as an atheist than it does as a Christian.
Quote:
However, to believe (as most athiests do) that when we die that is it...well, to me, and I assume to Jazzed as well, that is just about the saddest thought ever.
Not me, but then, I don't fear extinction.
Quote:
The thought of someday not existing, coupled with never seeing loved ones again...gosh, how hopeless, IMO.
So you have to live your life in a way that makes the most of it. I do not want to live forever. I do not want to hobble into my grave regreting that there was something missing from my life. I want to slide into the grave (crematorium, actually) with smoke boiling from the soles of my shoes as I screech to a halt and have my last words be, "WOW!, what a ride!"
Quote:
Also, there is so much more to being a Christian than what you athiests (sorry for the polarizing term) are seeing. To be a Christian begins a process of spiritual development that has the potential of being unequalled by anything this world has to offer. So, to us, you are all missing out on such a joyous and important part of the human development.
Been there, done that, and I was miserable.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:45 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,393 times
Quote:
... but before an atheist can do what he (generic masculine, not sexist masculine) feels is right, he must DECIDE for himself what IS right. This is considerably more difficult than consulting a set of rules laid down by an authority figure. With freedom comes responsibility. Not to be heaping scorn or ridiculing Christianity, but "the Devil made me do it" doesn't get an atheist off the hook for his mistakes because we don't believe in that him either.
Yes, but there is no eternal punishment awaiting you if you make the wrong decision.

Quote:
... The pressure on an atheist to do right is the pressure of being 100% responsible for your own acts 100% of the time. Think about it. NO guidance except your own conscience. No authority figure to say, "do this ... don't do that." I would submit that it takes a great deal more moral maturity to live a moral life as an atheist than it does as a Christian.
I don't believe that being a Christian makes me any less responsible for my own actions at all. In fact more so, because we have been told to be salt and light to the world, and it is quite serious if we are responsible for causing someone else to stumble.

Quote:
... Not me, but then, I don't fear extinction.
Blows my mind, but to each his own.

Quote:
... So you have to live your life in a way that makes the most of it. I do not want to live forever. I do not want to hobble into my grave regreting that there was something missing from my life. I want to slide into the grave (crematorium, actually) with smoke boiling from the soles of my shoes as I screech to a halt and have my last words be, "WOW!, what a ride!"
Who wants to live forever in this body? I believe we are all spirits who LIVE IN a body. I don't want my spirit--the essense of who Jeff is--to cease existense.

Quote:
... Been there, done that, and I was miserable.
Then you haven't really been there and done that. You have been somewhere and done something in the name of Christ, which I did for years, and yes, it's a miserable existance.

But that is NOT the real thing. It probably angers you for me to say it, but misery does not come from a true born-again experience.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:58 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
That's a good question. What is sin?
Missing the mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism