Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 04:45 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So homosexuals can't list a partner on an health insurance policy, well I can't list my sister or my nephews either, and why shouldn't I be able to do that? I'm paying for the insurance. I can buy car insurance for my sister, but not health insurance, so I don't want to hear any sob stories.
You can buy health insurance for your sister so long as you are not 'buying' it through your job benefits. Health insurance can be bought privately the same as car insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 05:25 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
I don't think marriage should be a legal thing for anyone so I don't support piling on gay marriage. Wanna get married? Go to a church. Start your own church. Go to an Elvis chapel. Take care of your family with a 401K, wills, trusts. Dissolve marriage according to whatever your church dictates.
People get married 3, 4, 5 times. Why is everyone else paying for that? Why is everyone paying for people's choices? If someone choses to get in over their head on their mortgage and the govt bails them out its some sort of outrage. But if they choose to have a non-working spouse (and there will be gay ones) and a bunch of kids then everyone is supposed to support that? No.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:17 AM

52 posts, read 102,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I think that the entire country is hung up on a word. Personally, as an atheist, I don't care if gays are allowed to marry, or if they're allowed to have a civil union. The hangup is the fact that in order to receive certain benefits you must be married. So, this brings up the question, is a non-homosexual person entitled to more benefits than a heterosexual person? I believe that they are not, for we are all human and we are all unique. So why punish someone for their sexual preference? If the major hangup is the word "marriage" than fine, call it a civil union, but I still think they should be allowed the same rights as every other American citizen.

The Constitution clearly states that all men were created equal and were entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. To me, that says that ANY person is allowed those things. So, if a heterosexual person is allowed the same freedoms to live their life the way they want to, and are happy because of it, again, why do we punish the homosexuals?

However, with all that being said, I am against Affirmative Action and any other program that grant minorities or people of certain preferences benefits due to the fact that the Constitution says we were all created equal. If we were all created equal than we should all EQUALLY be entitled to ALL the benefits being an American citizen gives us.

Let's look at it another way: People who have committed crimes such as murder, rape, incest, child molestation, and domestic abuse are allowed to marry at will. Yet, a homosexual is not? What does that say for our current state of affairs in America when a murderer is held to a higher moral code and allowed to marry than a homosexual? If the Christian argument is that God deems it a sin and unnatural than show me a person who has not sinned and only they can get married!
Yes, this would make sense if white women didn't have the right to vote until 1920, this would make sense there had to be civil rights movement (that was a mere not only 50+ years ago) for black americans in order to gain equal rights with whites, who have been in this country for 300+ years. But those groups did not have equal rights, so to bring up Affirmative Action as if it were unconstitutional is ridiculous.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:41 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times
Here's a funny animated video on Maggie Gallagher from NOM on banning same sex marriage.

YouTube - Maggie Gallagher Meets St. Peter

Old 09-05-2010, 10:36 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamite View Post
Congratulations, you've found one!

I'm an atheist who opposes homosexual "marriages," "civil unions," "uncivil unions," or whatever else one may want to call them.

My parents were both liberals and I certainly never heard anything anti-"gay" at home. But I've discovered nature can be quite different than ideology. One day when I was fifteen I was walking through a park and saw two guys making out on a blanket. I don't think a word exists that adequately describes the utter revulsion I felt at that moment.

Ever since that time I've asked myself a simple question whenever the question of homosexuality in society has arisen: Is it something that I want to see become the norm? And for me, the answer to that question has always been no. Consequently, I oppose all attempts to promote, spread, consecrate, or otherwise mainstream homosexuality.
WOW.....what an ignorant post. I was at Mardis Gras...in New Orleans...all I saw were the 3 "B"'s...Booze, Beads and BOOBS.....I was revoluted and think those straight people should not be allowed to marry....plus half of them get divorced in a few years anyway; so obviously they don't take marriage seriously or keep it sacred..

Old 09-05-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, it's borne of logic and reason.

One needs to only be on this planet for 15 minutes to figure that every single living thing on this planet has one function and one function only:

and that is to reproduce.

In fact, every living thing on this planet has evolved to reproduce in the most efficient way it can.

Homosexuality is the antithesis of life itself.

I'm not saying exterminate homosexuals, but they deserve no special rights or privileges. An homosexual, um, "couple" can do anything an heterosexual couple can do. Homosexuals can have wills and living wills and trusts to ensure the other receives some inheritance, there's also general and special powers of attorney that allows one to have access to titles, deeds, bank accounts and financial instruments and what not.

So homosexuals can't list a partner on an health insurance policy, well I can't list my sister or my nephews either, and why shouldn't I be able to do that? I'm paying for the insurance. I can buy car insurance for my sister, but not health insurance, so I don't want to hear any sob stories.

IRS rules allow one to claim a dependent for tax purposes, so there's no need to allow marriage for that.

Who was it, Melissa Etheridge and her "partner" did the gay marriage thing two years ago and now they're divorced.

Great, that's all I need is to be forking out more money in tax dollars for Family Court.

Murder and rape are repulsive and I'm not into those either.

I see only arguments based on "life-style" or "rights" that are associated with "life-style" which have no logical or rational basis. Worse than that, if marriage is allowed based on that faulty logic, then there's no basis to deny marriage rights to bi-sexuals who want to marry a man and a woman, and then by what logic would you deny a woman the right to marry her German Shepard?
What an ignorant and hateful post......PLEASE stop using ridiculous arguments like....murder, rape and polygamy....it only shows how convoluted your post is and illogical when you post with such obvious hatred and bigotry. One half of all straight marriages end in divorce; so according to your "thought" processes straights should not marry....after all...that's worse than one "gay divorce".....ROFLMFAO.....THINK before you post.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorce..._United_States

Old 09-05-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i love it-- a great thread topic
atheist vs militant gay, the matching of 2 menaces against each other, jason meets freddy. gloria steinem vs rev wright, rosie o'donnell vs rush limbaugh. as to gay marriage no problem, every gay should have the right to have a loveless sexless, debt ridden marriage with rotten kids, followed by a ripoff divorce, just like the rest of us. why should they be allowed to escape.
You crack me up....ROFLMFAO...Any gay who stands up against hatred/bigotry and for equal rights is a MILITANT....perhaps you need a refresher course in English......AND by the way...I've been with my partner over 27 years now.......and still happy.. Sorry if you are miserable..
Militant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia WOW...I'm a "soldier"......though my mate did serve 8 years in the Army...defending YOU! I also remember you implying that a Gay parade represents all gay people....that's as DUMB as saying Mardis Gras.....represents all straight people.....BOOZE/BEADS and BOOBS.

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 09-05-2010 at 11:39 PM..

Old 09-05-2010, 11:08 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Every once in awhile we win one...

YouTube - Homophobic Baptist Church Hit Hard - Ordered to pay $10.9M

Old 09-07-2010, 04:28 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
On the other side of things Maggie Gallagher does actually have other issues. She was pretty strong against euthanasia. I think that's how I first knew of her. She was, like me, outraged at Kevorkian doing "assisted suicide" on a woman who was basically just depressed and disabled. The victim's condition, I think it was MS, was not necessarily fatal or at least she could have managed many more productive years. And she was a good debater on the topic, even the person on the panel for Kevorkian thought so. Also she is actually not as opposed to consensual-adult polygamy as she is same-sex marriage. That might make her "weird" but it does fit with the Bible/religious focus.

I do generally see the life issues as more critical from my form of "social conservatism" so I might agree I'd prefer her energy be spent on that. Still I doubt that would make her much less reviled. (Although I do know of people who favor same-sex marriage and believe in something like "The Consistent Life Ethic" as there's no contradiction in doing so. They may even add reducing animal cruelty to it.)

Old 01-12-2011, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,130 times
Yes, from atheist viewpoint , it is wrong. Homosexuality is a choice that is a complete deviation of evolution. I would like human nature to progress foward in evolution and not side-straddle it. It is immoral on the grounds that it is completely unnatural and does nothing to promote this species.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism