Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 05:36 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primate View Post
Yes, from atheist viewpoint , it is wrong. Homosexuality is a choice that is a complete deviation of evolution. I would like human nature to progress foward in evolution and not side-straddle it. It is immoral on the grounds that it is completely unnatural and does nothing to promote this species.
For your very first post on here - you searched until you found something against gay marriage so that you could state how unnatural you think it is?

Personally, I'm for equal rights for everyone - no matter what race, creed, sexual orientation, etc. Humans are humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 06:28 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,930 times
Quote:
Yes, from atheist viewpoint , it is wrong. Homosexuality is a choice that is a complete deviation of evolution. I would like human nature to progress foward in evolution and not side-straddle it. It is immoral on the grounds that it is completely unnatural anddoes nothing to promote this species.
Neither does spending a little quality time alone with yourself.

You don't do that....do you

Old 01-12-2011, 06:37 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Yes, from atheist viewpoint , it is wrong. Homosexuality is a choice that is a complete deviation of evolution. I would like human nature to progress foward in evolution and not side-straddle it. It is immoral on the grounds that it is completely unnatural and does nothing to promote this species.
LOL!

Atheist viewpoint??

How does a lack of belief give you a "viewpoint"? Thats like saying my lack of belief in the Toothfairy means I can give advice on dental procedures. Sheesh.

Aside from that you show a GLARING lack of understanding about evolution for someone claiming to be a proponent of it. Evolution is directionless change, there is no forward or backward or "side-straddle".

Additionally, does anyone else find the fact that someone who gave themselves the name "primate" and then claim homosexuality is unnatural to be bordering on the ridiculous. Maybe they were going for satire?

Anyway, homosexuality is perfectly natural as it occurs throughout the natural world in many species especially PRIMATES (bonobo anyone???). What it is not, it particularly common.

The fact I am an agnostic has no bearing on the fact that I think everyone has the same right to get married (or whatever you want to call it). What is more relevant to my opinion is that I am a person on this planet.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:43 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, it's borne of logic and reason.

One needs to only be on this planet for 15 minutes to figure that every single living thing on this planet has one function and one function only:

and that is to reproduce.

In fact, every living thing on this planet has evolved to reproduce in the most efficient way it can.

Homosexuality is the antithesis of life itself.

I'm not saying exterminate homosexuals, but they deserve no special rights or privileges. An homosexual, um, "couple" can do anything an heterosexual couple can do. Homosexuals can have wills and living wills and trusts to ensure the other receives some inheritance, there's also general and special powers of attorney that allows one to have access to titles, deeds, bank accounts and financial instruments and what not.
I don't agree.

Do you think that any adult - and this includes me - that doesn't reproduce should be denied basic civil rights?

What are "special rights" anyway? Huh? Are gay people exempted from paying taxes or abiding by the laws? Do gay people enjoy the right to drive without a driver's license or get to eat free at restaurants on Thursdays? Give me a break!

Legal scholars and even the Supreme Courts of several states like New Jersey and Iowa have already ruled that "marriage" implies legal rights and responsibilities that unmarried partners do NOT enjoy.

Sounds to me like you are just trying to justify discrimination and inequality.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:57 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,948 times
Quote:
Claiming that homosexuality is both a choice and a product of evolution is nonsensical.

What is a 'deviation of evolution'? By definition, evolution entails all traits, including ones that are not beneficial to a species. But you appear to have made assumptions that homosexuality is entirely genetic (which, again, makes no sense in conjunction with your claim that it is also a choice) and that homosexuals do not biologically reproduce. In these assumptions you are incorrect. If you would like to educate yourself, here are some places to start:
CB403: Evolution and homosexuality
Male Homosexuality Can Be Explained Through A Specific Model Of Darwinian Evolution, Study Shows
Evolution of homosexuality in birds explained | MNN - Mother Nature Network

There is no 'forward' in evolution.

There is just change. Bad change is weeded out by the marvelous mechanism of natural selection. Good change is favored by the same mechanism.

Natural?

Eyeglasses are unnatural. Mobile phones are unnatural. Shaving is unnatural. Pacemakers are unnatural. You really should think through the implications of your arguments before making them.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:31 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Psssssst, your ignorance is showing. Homosexual behavior has been observed in over 1500 different species.

I can understand you obviously have an aversion to it, it ain't your cup of tea, or mine, but your condemnation is irrational and counter to evidence.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:45 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
With the overpopulation problem, not reproducing should be encouraged. In any case, I think gay people have every right to be as miserable as everyone else.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:57 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
LOL what kind of world is this where we have devout Christians supporting gay marriage and atheists against it?

I guess my presumption (and I think the OP's too) is that atheists are less likely to oppose gay marriage because the some of the main arguments come from moral and religious grounds. How can one believe in the sanctity of marriage when one doesn't believe in the deity that is sanctifying it?

The other argument from I've heard on this thread is that homosexuality goes against evolution. Two counterpoints:

(1) A well-established fact is that other species do engage in homosexual behavior

http://web.archive.org/web/200709290...05penguins.htm
LiveScience.com - Gay Animals: Alternate Lifestyles in the Wild | LiveScience (http://www.livescience.com/bestimg/index.php?url=gay_bison_03.jpg&cat=gayanimals - broken link)
LiveScience.com - Gay Animals: Alternate Lifestyles in the Wild | LiveScience (http://www.livescience.com/bestimg/index.php?url=gay_bottlenose_dolphin_03.jpg&cat=ga yanimals - broken link)

Countless others. Or maybe they're all defying evolution too?

(2) Even assuming that homosexuality defies evolution, what's your point? You don't think that we have defied evolution in dozens, perhaps thousands of other ways? Or were humans meant to smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, eat trans fat, etc....?

Most atheists I know either support gay marriage or don't really care, because the arguments I've seen against gay marriage from an atheist standpoint appear to be feeble at best and illogical at worst.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:17 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
Most atheists I know either support gay marriage or don't really care, because the arguments I've seen against gay marriage from an atheist standpoint appear to be feeble at best and illogical at worst.
As an atheist, I can't even think of any arguments against gay marriage "from an atheist standpoint". Why should it matter whether gay people get married or not?

Old 01-24-2011, 01:50 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
One thing that's occurred to me on occasion, that does not sound like a religious reason to me, is that same-sex marriage might discourage gays from having opposite-sex marriage and this could actually be bad. Why?

Well if people are "born gay" it means it's genetic. It's presumably a recessive trait, but still if they're marrying each other they won't reproduce and won't pass it on. Oh many of them still will have biological kids through artificial means, but that can be expensive so many will likely adopt or just not reproduce. So the amount of people born with "gay genes" might declines. Related to that kids raised by opposite sexed parents will be less likely, in the future, to have a Dad or Mom turn out to be gay if SSM is allowed. So the gay people they know won't be shaping their early childhood views in as strong a manner as a Gay Dad or Lesbian Mom would. Lastly if gays marry the same as straights they might be expected to be culturally about the same in other ways. This is something gays like Andrew Sullivan want, but it wasn't too long ago that many gays were not comfortable with the idea of being "Virtually Normal." They were different and wanted to be different. If gay men start being pressured as much as straight women to "snag a husband", or as much as straight men to "grow up, commit already", maybe something will be lost along the way.

So same-sex marriage could mean the end of Lesbian Moms and Transgressive Gay Art as we've known them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism