Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 04:50 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,794 times

Advertisements

I ran into these two videos today..

YouTube - How Proposition 8 Went Down (Part 1 of 2)

YouTube - How Proposition 8 Went Down (Part 2 of 2)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 07:28 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I ran into these two videos today..
Great overview of the case. Thanks for the links!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:56 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,987 times
I couldn't give a rat's behind if a gay couple wants to marry. More power to them. How does it affect my life? They are human beings & citizens just like the rest of us & should be offered the same rights.

I have 3 gay relatives on my mom's side. I've seen the struggles they've dealt with (2 of them anyway) & it saddens me because they are great, caring people who just want to live their lives without being judged.

Let me add that proposing any law that prohibits gays from adopting/fostering just sickens me. There are so many kids that need a caring loving home! Mind you, my uncle who is gay, came out after being married 20 years & raising 2 happy, well adjusted, successful children. Guess he wasn't such a bad parent after all...

Old 08-16-2010, 11:53 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
As much as we like to think that atheists are very rational people, there are always exceptions.
So, in your opinion, to be rational, an atheist must march in lockstep with a far-left-wing political ideology? What should a belief in God have to do with your morals , ethics, and beliefs?

Old 08-16-2010, 06:38 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,453,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
So, in your opinion, to be rational, an atheist must march in lockstep with a far-left-wing political ideology?
You aren't even an atheist. You are a catholic. Why do you think you are qualified to answer the OP? Just go over to the christianity forum and you will find plenty of christians who have no problem with gays.
I have read some of your posts and the anger and bigotry is palpable. Why on earth do you think that only persons on the far left support gays? You have no evidence to support that statement.
IFAIK the only reason an atheist might have a problem with homosexuality is because of the ick factor, which is not rational.

Quote:
What should a belief in God have to do with your morals , ethics, and beliefs?
You tell me. What should a belief in god have to do with morals, ethics, and beliefs?

You are certainly welcome to post here, but attacking my comments is derailing the thread. Start your own.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:43 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
Good response, Sizzly. I, for one, am not a liberal, but I am all for gay marriage. Bring it on!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:43 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
This is all I have to say on this matter.

YouTube - Gay protest signs (funny)

Old 08-17-2010, 01:37 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
I imagine there are atheists who are "uncomfortable" with he existance of homosexuality. Not all opposition to gay anything (including marriage) comes from a religious conviction.
And I don't think it takes a religious conviction to have an opinion on whether homosexuality is inborn or a "lifestyle choice." Some people just have an ICK factor, especially about two men together. (With two women, if they're good-looking, men find it titillating, and if they're not, nobody cares!)
My father was raised Jewish and considers himself a Jew for purposes of loathing everyone who was on the wrong side in World War II. He has no interest in the religion or any such. He also can't stand male homosexuals because when he was a taxi driver, he got hit on a lot and had the ICK factor.
I personally think that marriage is obviously a legal contract between two consenting adults and the state. You can have all the lovely commitment ceremonies or engagements or promises you want, and it's not marriage unless both parties sign on the state's dotted line. As long as that's the case, as long as the state is going to be part of this contract, it clearly should be open to any pair of consenting adults. (And I'm not against it being more than two adults- I've known of "group partners" who have had to go through the same legal hoops and additional contracts to get whatever rights they are denied from state-sanctioned marriage.
My own sister was living with a guy for years after their mutual divorces. No kids together. They decided to get married (City Hall one weekend). When he died, she got his pension for the rest of her life and his Social Security. No other process but legal state marriage can make that happen.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:46 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
I have a coworker who is Atheist and VERY against gay marriage. He's also for making homosexuality illegal and punishable by death. Death in public, preferably.

He's just a very angry person who basically hates everyone, though. Hates women, hates minorities, hates homosexuals.... at least he's consistent.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:45 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,930 times
I'm opposed to gay marriage about as much as I am to eating a ham sandwich.

Anybody who obsesses over other people's sex lives, gay or straight, need to get a life of their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism