Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 01:16 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times

Advertisements

^don't we love beatin' around the bush, eh?

the big fear is that gay marriages may upset each and any legislation regulating insurance and other "household" matters.

i41 am looking to have it appropriately worded instead of mixed with "morals".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,103 times
Say nature ; and keep religion sin and god out. it is only the sodomy between man and man that is questioned. a man in need looks for a womans genitals. a child, another man, animal, has no womans genitals, therefore it becomes strange unnatural. the problem arises if the man seeks to relieve himself any where and anyhow. marriage and living-in and such relationships are for legal and society convenience.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:31 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pradhangeorge View Post
Say nature ; and keep religion sin and god out. it is only the sodomy between man and man that is questioned. a man in need looks for a womans genitals. a child, another man, animal, has no womans genitals, therefore it becomes strange unnatural. the problem arises if the man seeks to relieve himself any where and anyhow. marriage and living-in and such relationships are for legal and society convenience.
Uhh...what? lol

I'm an athiest and I have no problem with gay marriage...as I'm sure someone said before...why not let them be as miserable as the rest of us

Seriously though 2 gay people getting married are the least of my worries when it comes to todays problems in the world.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:04 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
I don't remember where I read this, but I think ten percent of atheists were against same-sex marriage in some study. They were the most overwhelmingly for it of almost any group, but no group was universal.

One thing is some atheists are over 60. My guess would be that some of the oldest atheists might maintain certain obsolete psychoanalytic views of homosexuality. Or they may just deem it "icky" for some reason. Then there's the issue of terminology. One secularist article I read said that he favored the government deeming all things to be "unions" as he did deem "marriage" to be a word/concept too tied to religion. (This might have been Paul Kurtz of the secular humanists. Whoever it was he was not against SSM, but was "disappointed" that we didn't just end civil marriage altogether. Some might go further and just say it's bad because anything that uses the "marriage" word is bad) I've heard of some Radical Feminist Atheists of times past who felt marriage was a sexist anachronism and so no one should marry. I've also read of some "Q***r Theorists" who oppose same-sex-marriage as marginalizing those who aren't conventionally monogamists or whose relationships don't automatically fit "the marriage ideal."

Old 09-03-2009, 05:32 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I don't remember where I read this, but I think ten percent of atheists were against same-sex marriage in some study. They were the most overwhelmingly for it of almost any group, but no group was universal.

One thing is some atheists are over 60. My guess would be that some of the oldest atheists might maintain certain obsolete psychoanalytic views of homosexuality. Or they may just deem it "icky" for some reason. Then there's the issue of terminology. One secularist article I read said that he favored the government deeming all things to be "unions" as he did deem "marriage" to be a word/concept too tied to religion. (This might have been Paul Kurtz of the secular humanists. Whoever it was he was not against SSM, but was "disappointed" that we didn't just end civil marriage altogether. Some might go further and just say it's bad because anything that uses the "marriage" word is bad) I've heard of some Radical Feminist Atheists of times past who felt marriage was a sexist anachronism and so no one should marry. I've also read of some "Q***r Theorists" who oppose same-sex-marriage as marginalizing those who aren't conventionally monogamists or whose relationships don't automatically fit "the marriage ideal."
So, what exactly is your point? I'm well over 60 and stand firmly on the mind your own business side of the fence, as do most atheists....Which side are you standing on?..Declare yourself please.

Your I've heard this, that, or the other is mostly meaningless, by the way.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:41 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
I thought this was about whether any atheists were against SSM. As few are I was discussing/speculating about the kind of atheists I've read who did oppose it. I'll leave now.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:53 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
Funny, this issue is the one that, years ago, made me begin to realize that maybe I wasn't as hard-core conservative as I thought. At the time I was a far-right fundamentalist Christian, and about that time I started hearing a lot of chatter about same-sex marriage. At first I agreed with...well...practically everyone around here who liked to loudly proclaim their anti-SSM views. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I honestly didn't give a crap whether two men or two women wanted to get married. That's when I really started thinking for myself instead of just believing everything I was told to believe.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:06 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,453,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I thought this was about whether any atheists were against SSM. As few are I was discussing/speculating about the kind of atheists I've read who did oppose it. I'll leave now.
Don't go away, Thomas. I may not always agree with you, but I enjoy your posts.
I think you come in to our forum so much because you are starting to question your faith and you like us!

Old 09-04-2009, 12:27 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
I agree with that. I definitely get the impression that Thom. R is one of the more thoughtful and considering Theists.

As to same - sex marriage. I wouldn't oppose it because I don't feel it my business to tell others how to live their lives. What's 'wrong'
is not same - sex marriage but those who feel that their beliefs entitle them to tell others how to live. I wouldn't be surprised that some atheists (I would be surprised if it was a majority) don't approve of agree with same - sex marriage, but I'd expect them to be a bit disinclined to make an organized fuss about getting the law changed to prevent it.

Atheists know all about being on the end of bigotry. I think they would mostly recoil from joining in.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:08 AM

110 posts, read 212,448 times
When the church still controlled parts of my brain, I thought gay marriage and gays as parents, especially gays as parents was wrong. Even after I broke free from religion, I still had some of my old church philosophy keeping me from enlightenment. Now, I think love of any kind is the most important thing. I do have my concerns about stigma, but I don't know if there is any information that indicates that children of gay couples are any less happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism