Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 02:27 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times

Advertisements

I can't say I've made a special study and we should all know how surveys and polls can be targeted and interpreted to support whatever conclusion is required, but I haven't seen anything to cive a clear indication that any particular family or not is going to be good for the kids or not. There are many other factors, such as security, environment and education that are going to affect how a kid turns out.

I don't doubt that a family might tends to suggest certain roles on kids, whether through handing out dolls to the girls or sending the off to church or carrying on a gay or lesbian lifestyle on front of them, but I believe that you can't turn a natural heterosexual into a gay any more than you can make a natural gay heterosexual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 04:18 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Don't go away, Thomas. I may not always agree with you, but I enjoy your posts.
I think you come in to our forum so much because you are starting to question your faith and you like us!
I think the "question your faith" part might be wishful thinking. I mean in a sense it's true, but the Catholicism I believed in still basically sounds right to me. My doubts or questions are mostly concern that the Catholicism I believe/believed in only exists in my mind.

Still I really think atheism/agnosticism is just no longer an option for me. Without God all I'd have left is people, animals, and then death. I originally had a big expansion to that, but decided this is the wrong forum to do so. Suffice it to say I find atheism or agnosticism unsatisfactory, although agnosticism less so, and as long I can believe in something more satisfactory I will.

However I do like many atheists. Atheists are often better educated than average people. I don't think this is particularly unique to atheists, Jews and Zoroastrians are also better educated than average people, but it makes them more interesting to me. In some respects I get along with atheists better than Fundamentalist Protestants. It's not the right Christian attitude, but I don't personally feel any connection to most Protestant denominations. Atheism I think of the writers I've liked or certain periods in my life. Islam I can see the appeal of being part of something that spans so many cultures and emphasizes geometry in a way. Judaism and Hinduism the being part of something large and ancient. Chinese religion I think of my strong affinity for China. And so forth. Protestantism just never clicked with me. I'm not sure I ever remember thinking "yeah I could see that, I could see a guy like me being that."

Old 09-04-2009, 05:34 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Still I really think atheism/agnosticism is just no longer an option for me. Without God all I'd have left is people, animals, and then death. I originally had a big expansion to that, but decided this is the wrong forum to do so. Suffice it to say I find atheism or agnosticism unsatisfactory, although agnosticism less so, and as long I can believe in something more satisfactory I will.

I think I know what you are talking about. Not all atheist have felt this way, but when I came to the conclusion that religion was all a myth, it was very depressing. It wasn't emotionally or psychologically satisfying to think that death was the end, and we had no grand cosmic pre-ordained purpose. It was a dark few days when I first deconverted.

But after a few days, I came to terms with that knowledge, and I was able to accept it. And then it came to the point where it didn't bother me, and I feel a bit stronger for being able to face the truth. I feel like I made it throught he fire, and logic over came my survival instincts that make me want to believe I am infinite.

It's not immediate - at least it wasn't for me. I took me several sleepless nights trying to figure out what it all meant. But I feel a lot better now that I made it though to the other side.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:37 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,549,769 times
Lightbulb unnatural? please, let's serve Nature's best interests!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradhangeorge View Post
Say nature ; and keep religion sin and god out. it is only the sodomy between man and man that is questioned. a man in need looks for a womans genitals. a child, another man, animal, has no womans genitals, therefore it becomes strange unnatural. the problem arises if the man seeks to relieve himself any where and anyhow. marriage and living-in and such relationships are for legal and society convenience.

animals are ruled by nature & they certainly exhibit tendencies along homosexual lines.

it seems you are saying it's unnatural to engage in sexual unions that are not conducive to human reproduction... as if we don't have ENOUGH of that.

maybe it should be considered unnatural to over-produce or produce at all since it is NOT in our species best interest to have more people than we can reasonably sustain.... (you must see the movie idiocracy to see the probable end result of over-population).

the OP wants to know if you are not god-fearing - if you believe in denying gays' rights.

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 09-04-2009 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: what is the purpose of this thread? le'ts get back on topic

Old 09-04-2009, 10:01 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
I suspect there are people of any, all, and no religious beliefs that are just homophobic, but I also suspect that greatest and most virulent opposition, hatred, and intolerance is born deep in a religion that advertises itself as a religion that worships a loving and forgiving deity.

As a non-homophobic heterosexual atheist I really don't have a dog in this fight. I see no reason that two people that care for each other cannot have the option of a union granting them privileges similar to hetero couples.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
the fact that catholicism is against gays, helped turn me against that religion and then eventually become an atheist.
"all people are created equal except...."blah blah blah.....so even at a young age I could figure out that no one is equal in the eyes of the church..
I would think more atheists are for gay marriage. How does one who believes being gay is wrong, believe in gay marriage?
I say if two people are happy together and want to build a life together, they should be able to do so legally, just like any other couple.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:59 PM

110 posts, read 212,448 times
What I don't get is that gays (some) still want to be a part of the church. That just boggles my mind. To want to be part of an institution that has told gays they are sick, inferior, evil; well, I certainly don't get it.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:55 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
right bert, that part is not making sense at all. They're not welcome, so why stay with that? or even join it to begin with, if given the choice ...I mean if I'm not welcome in your house because you can't stand me or something that I am, I won't stay and visit a while longer...hmmmm

Old 09-05-2009, 05:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert62 View Post
What I don't get is that gays (some) still want to be a part of the church. That just boggles my mind. To want to be part of an institution that has told gays they are sick, inferior, evil; well, I certainly don't get it.
Mindless idiots are very easily taught to hate, and who to hate. Where would the hold religion has on many be without these people?

Old 09-06-2009, 12:02 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert62 View Post
Hey, I don't get why any women would want to be a part of many of these churches either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism