Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 02:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Proclaimed atheists in this thread keep trying to derail the original post by asking me to re-focus the subject matter to God/Theism/the Cosmos, etc.........when it was not the OP . Lets get back to the original subject matter.
So now it suits you to get back to the original subject matter, eh? I wonder why.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:33 PM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Can u explain the process you went thru which allowed you to end up where you are now ,being , an Agnostic. ? Thanks.
Thats an interesting thought. For myself, going from Chritianity to being Agnostic was an easy transition. Besides relief from guilt there was no reason why I was wrong and every other person in the world who wasn't Christian was wrong.

I'm sure the move from Athiesm to Agnostic is not as common.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:06 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
I've gotta disagree. Agnosticism is a belief like anything else. Specifically, it's the belief that knowledge about gods is impossible, or at least not currently available. Sure, this belief may be a reasonable belief but it's no more absolute truth than any other reasonable justified belief.
well, I go by a different definition: absolute Agnosticism: the claim that the absolute truth quality of external things and thoughts cannot be known, but only thought about. You could always be wrong. There is always doubt. Most things are only named by definition. there can be invisible flying teapots and pink spaghetti unicorn flying monsters.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:37 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,789 times
Meant in good natured humor...

Is there a name for someone who is "Transitioning" between Athiesm and Agnoticism? They are either developing some doubt of absolute belief there is no Afterlife/God and are opening their minds to "Maybe", or they are giving up "Maybe" and drifting towards complete non-belief...?

Athnostic

Agthiest

or something else?

And waht if your belief gets permanently stuck in the transition?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Most atheists are also agnostics. The words are not mutually exclusive, being measures of different things.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
As Mr Spock said (while being jilted by his Vulcan fiance) 'Flawlessly logical'.

However I think the idea here is the varying degrees of 'buy -in' to theism implying that one can move from not knowing whether there is a god or not to being pretty convinced that there is and the sliding scale of belief from theism to atheism or the other way goes along with it.

While this is misunderstood and mislabelled (1) as moving from atheism to agnosticism (being sure there was no god to being convinced there was - and the reverse) what it really means is being persuaded by the arguments for or against god - belief.

(1) I don't care what spellcheck says - that's right!

Old 09-16-2011, 04:27 AM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
(1) I don't care what spellcheck says - that's right!
Right in the UK, but America has never really learned to spell.... British vs. American Spelling

Old 09-16-2011, 05:48 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,173 times
Quote:
Its the real forces , physics laws, precise mathematical laws, etc that sustain our cosmos/earth/us ... that we need to compare to atheistic Naturalism . How did all of these come about, and, how come they are infinitely fine tuned and constant ?
Specifically how finely tuned are they? What's the range and distribution of the possible values for the various constants of physics? Please be specific.

Quote:
How come it doesnt appear that we live in a random accidental Universe as one would expect from an atheistic worldview ? Hmmmm.....
No one thinks the universe is random. There's obviously enough order for us to exist and comprehend it, so you're doing a good job disproving something no one believes. Hmmmm....

Anyway, your creator god didn't show up for me to check out yesterday. Add yet another failure to the list.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Do you also KNOW that extreme examples of Design and precise Engineering always require intelligence with a Will for them to come about, continue to exist, and successfully accomplish a specific purpose ?
Yep. Specifically, human intelligence is necessary for things we know are engineered and designed. Does that mean you're saying the universe was designed by humans? That's the only valid inductive claim you can make here. Otherwise you're implying that since humans design lots of things, the universe must have been created by god which is a total non sequitur.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
1. The actual co-founder of the DNA structure , famous atheist Biologist Dr. Francis Crick, affirmed the accurate calculation of this occuring by naturalism, at a faith-busting 1 in 10^40,000 th probability. (Source : Life Itself book by Dr. Francis Crick) . What IS the only other alternative ?
Raëlism, obviously.

Quote:
Is this the reasonable and rational example of atheism that you or someone else addressed earlier in the thread ?!
No, it has nothing to do with atheism (or this thread, Mr. "it's off topic"). It's a question for biologists and I guess bicycle designers.

Quote:
Lets cut to the chase : How come you dont want an intelligent personal theistic Creator to exist ? What is your particular personal motive ? Thanks for sharing .
Have you stopped beating your wife yet? Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism