Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 05:32 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times

Advertisements

It's a tempting thought, and I wouldn't mind if you talked yourself into it. Because you would probably have enough mental safety barriers for preventing cultural religious indoctrination to kick in and make it a Christian (or whatever) belief. It would be something more natural and not limited to those who professes a particular creed and all others were (absurdly) banned. It would be an atheistic afterlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 06:36 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,533,523 times
We always have dogs. I love my furbabies. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Reminds me of The Who. But I'm an old fart, everything reminds me of something else.

Day in, day out? Acoustic guitar. Folk guitar, classical guitar, blues guitar...

BTW, if we're talking about guitar gods, I find the omission of Eric Clapton or Tommy Emmanuel to be faintly heretical.

I somehow missed the boat when it comes to Eric Clapton growing up. But I went to see him live a few years ago. He is amazing. He is one of those guys that can sit down with friends and just jam for hours. He is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Get yourself some good bass response speakers and TURN IT UP!!!

...Oh...and a bottle of Southern Comfort.

This is me. One of the best things about living in the country is having my stereo and being able to blast it as loud as I want to without disturbing any neighbors. Because we don't have any neighbors.

I have my apple tv, so I can stream youtube through my television which has my stereo and subwoofer hooked up. Let's just say music turned up loud sounds soooo different than coming out of tiny laptop speakers.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:21 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
As other people have said --- there's no such thing as "just a dog."
I wrestle with depression every day imagining all of the experiences I'll never have, the places I'll never see, the people I'll never meet -- all of the wasted opportunities. I swear I can sometimes feel every tick of the clock as my life slips away, knowing that the life I live no longer generates those precious memories that make this life worth living.
Life is often constrained beyond the norm or what is hoped for; it certainly is for me. But I don't know that "wasted" is the proper term, or even a useful one.

My first marriage was wasted, in the sense that it produced literally nothing that sane people seek from marriage. But it was instrumental in rousing me from my theistic slumber, and gave me my two children. So was it really wasted? Yes -- and no.

My second marriage was wasted, in the sense that my wife's illness robbed us of the joy of our relationship and turned each day into a slog of survival. But my wife also contributed a number of things to me ... permission to be myself, for example, which I was then able to give to myself; and a dozen other such small things that add up to quite a lot. Also, while her doctors could not save her, they ended up freeing me from my own chronic illness. So was it wasted? Yes -- and no.

My son's life was wasted, in the sense that his mental health issues prevented him from properly launching and living up to his substantial talent and intelligence potentials -- and in the sense that he died young, at the age of 30. On the other hand, I loved him no less for all that, he was a good, dutiful son who would do all I asked of him that he was able to, and who made me proud by being gentle and kind to one and all. So was it wasted? Yes -- and no.

Now you just related the story of your cat, which made me (and, I'm sure, others) happy. Was that wasted? I don't think so. You're a talented communicator. That matters.

Everyone's life is nothing more than the sum total of the possibilities that present themselves at any moment. By the time people reach and pass middle age, most people's lives bear little resemblance to what they would have chosen / wanted for themselves, yet ... it is still possible to make a difference.

"Wasted" implies some kind of quota or standard you're imposing on yourself that is probably just old tapes playing. We idealists can be perfectionists who tend to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

The real question isn't whether your life is wasted ... I maintain that life is never wasted or able to be wasted on balance. The real question is whether your life is compelling to you, and if not, are there ways to make it more compelling, despite your suffering.

That is a very personal calculus that it's not my place to make for you, but for what it's worth, I believe there are ways to make meaning in very constrained circumstances, so long as you have your mind intact. Which you very much do. Since aware, intelligent people are terribly scarce (my favorite tee shirt says I SEE DUMB PEOPLE) I would urge you not to underestimate the value of your ample intellect and wit. Your contribution here has always been highly valued. I don't know anyone here who would say otherwise.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:41 PM

1,333 posts, read 883,216 times
Maybe we're all godless heathens. And I know I argue with all of you sometimes. And sometimes I "know" I'm right, and sometimes I'm wrong, but I love you guys.

Thank you so much for the kind words. I said "only a dog" because I know all of the hard times some of you older (or even younger!) than me have gone through. I can't imagine what it's like losing a son or a father, for instance. It's hard feeling so bad for losing a dog when I know people have gone through much worse. I guess it's all down to personal experience.

Shirina, thanks for sharing your kind words and if there's one thing I want you to know. Your ability to convey a message means that your life is far from over and far from wasted. It means a lot to me and as mordant said, you have a great ability to convey your message. I guess it's just important to realize the overall impact of the simple fact you exist and you are who you are. Don't limit yourself. Thank you so much.

Again guys thanks a lot. For as bad as the world wants to believe atheists are some times, you all have made my day with your responses and kind words.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:12 AM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
When I had to put her down (she had massive tumors on her stomach) I thought I would be okay with it. But as I spent my last few minutes with her, alone in a little private room, she was able to weakly lift up her head and turn to look at me -- and something profound passed between us in that look. I won't even try to explain it, but when her eyes locked with mine for that last time, I knew then without question that there's no such thing as just a cat ... or just a dog.
Your entire post brought tears to my eyes, but especially this description. We had to put down our precious toy poodle Dinky a few years ago, and I had a similar meeting of the eyes that is difficult to describe but she seemed almost grateful. It took several years to get over it and consider another pet. Our little Yorkie is now as dear to us as Dinky ever was, but is NOT a replacement. Our love is separate for each. I know you do not credit my views, but I fully expect to rejoin all our loved ones, including our beloved pets again.

BTW, FYI there are mental disciplines that can control the experiencing of pain that require extensive practice and significant effort. But trust me, Shirina, I am not suggesting you seek them out because I know how aggravating it can be to be in chronic pain and to get what seems like useless advice. I am a Mystic after all.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:53 AM

Your'e kind thoughts are appreciated and it's nice to have you drop in the heathenist Ghetto. I particularly appreciate others expressing the sympathy I don't do very well.

My sister loves animals and at one time had two or thee dogs and three cats (Yes, it was a lively household) and they have all died. And they were like family. We knew those pets, we had a close personal relationship with those pets. We know how each one handled. We even agreed what colour they were.

And we also lost both parents (no cracks about look in the places we missed last time) and the loss was the same as for the animals (though the funerals cost a bit more). Because none of our family smash our head against the wall over something that will come to us all. We don't do grief.

So it's good to have people come and do it for me.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:17 PM

Default Waterloo...but Napoleon had long gone.

Yes, two of the biggest goddless Bastards on the boards met up for a babyburger and chips. And I can't believe what a fat miserable bastard I look in the picture...
Attached Thumbnails
Chat about anything thread.-waterllo.jpg  

Old 07-05-2017, 08:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes, two of the biggest goddless Bastards on the boards met up for a babyburger and chips. And I can't believe what a fat miserable bastard I look in the picture...
Both you heathens looks exactly as you should.

And yet, mostly likely completely undeservedly, you were blessed by the company of a comely goddess.

Lucky old farts.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Both you heathens looks exactly as you should.

And yet, mostly likely completely undeservedly, you were blessed by the company of a comely goddess.

Lucky old farts.

Yes, she did brighten the placer up a bit. He just brought her along to make me jealous. But what made me jealous is that he looks 20 years younger than I do.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:52 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes, she did brighten the placer up a bit. He just brought her along to make me jealous. But what made me jealous is that he looks 20 years younger than I do.
Haha, you're focused on the wrong things. I'm assuming it was fun, right?

So... I'm gonna be going on a road trip in August from Ohio -> Nebraska -> Oregon -> Maybe Nevada -> Utah -> Kansas -> Ohio
It's me and a couple buddies and we have never been over to any western states before. Anyone have any suggestions around the states we're stopping in that we should definitely not miss?

Last edited by Skyl3r; 07-06-2017 at 06:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism