Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2020, 10:54 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times

Advertisements

Swindons roundabout.
A wonder to behold

https://youtu.be/6OGvj7GZSIo

https://youtu.be/D22BOOGbpFM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 11:10 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Sounds like your friend doesn't understand roundabouts.
Of course take the inside lane. If you only ever used one lane, what would be the point in having 2 lanes?
It would only make sense if the roundabout only had one lane, then it would work.
Of course I live in America where roundabouts are referred to as traffic circles and nobody knows how to use them.
True. My wife and I are forever marveling at how people here don't seem to know how a roundabout works. How to navigate a roundabout. Sometimes funny. Sometimes perilous...

Old 08-06-2020, 12:40 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
Quote:
Swindons roundabout.
A wonder to behold

https://youtu.be/6OGvj7GZSIo

https://youtu.be/D22BOOGbpFM

Where I live, they just replaced (a couple of weeks ago) a 4 way stop with a simple stop light. There have been a few bad crashes there since then.

Americans can't handle a 4 way stop with lights that tell you what to do and when you can do it.

This? 20 car pile up, every day.

Old 08-06-2020, 05:13 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
Quote:
Of course I live in America where roundabouts are referred to as traffic circles and nobody knows how to use them.
What? come on, traffic circles are easy.

As you approach the entrance, you put the pedal to the metal and lay on the horn. Stay on the horn until you reach the point you want to exit. Easy peasy. (And it works even better if you have a big V-8 motor and rear-wheel drive, with tires screeching in a power-slide.)

Old 08-06-2020, 07:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
What? come on, traffic circles are easy.

As you approach the entrance, you put the pedal to the metal and lay on the horn. Stay on the horn until you reach the point you want to exit. Easy peasy. (And it works even better if you have a big V-8 motor and rear-wheel drive, with tires screeching in a power-slide.)
Thankfully, we don't have them in Canada. We don't need to save space.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:16 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Of course take the inside lane. If you only ever used one lane, what would be the point in having 2 lanes?
It would only make sense if the roundabout only had one lane, then it would work.
In New Jersey we do, and we flip you the bird if you don't negotiate them properly. Same with jughandles. That's when you make a right to make a left.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/what-is-a-jughandle-2502768

Old 08-07-2020, 06:36 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Crossing lanes is what tends to cause trouble, especially if there is a lot of traffic. We happen to have a few where I live here, so I'm in and out of them pretty much every day...

Obviously, if you stay in the outer lane at a reasonable speed, there really should be no cause for concern unless someone else doesn't know how to drive in a roundabout. Are you suggesting they are simply going to drive into you because you happen to be in their way? That pretty well defies the whole right-of-way approach to a roundabout. If that's the case, they'll drive into you no matter what you are doing if you are in their way.

Not a whole lot of logic, reason or common sense needed as much as just a bit of good, safe driving, that involves yielding to others as appropriate.
No. What happens here is that if there are two lanes in and two lanes out, you can use both lanes if you are going straight ahead. The problem is when Johnny in the outside lane goes past the straight ahead exit to turn left (which he shouldn't be doing if he is turning left) and Fred in the inside lane, is going ahead (which he is entitled to do). Then Johnny who is turning left in the wrong lane gets T-Boned by Fred going straight ahead in his correct lane... because Fred is expecting Johnny to be going straight ahead and not turning left by crossing in front of him.

Last edited by Rafius; 08-07-2020 at 06:45 AM..

Old 08-07-2020, 06:44 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Exactly! The process couldn't be easier if you follow the rules supported by logic, reason and common sense. Treat the roundabout as the face of a clock. If you are taking an exit before and including 12 o'clock, take the right-hand lane. If your exit is after 12 o'clock, take the left-hand lane and on passing the exit BEFORE the one you intend to take, move to the right-hand lane to exit. What is so difficult??

Old 08-07-2020, 07:36 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Harry old bean. How are you on driving regulations in Germany. I'm having a discussion about negotiating roundabouts. The guy says that, in Germany, if you are taking a left turn on a roundabout, or going all the way around to go back the way you came, you take the outside lane all the way around. I say it's the same as the rest of Europe in that you enter the roundabout and move to the inside lane. You stay in the inside lane until you pass the exit before the one you intend to take and then move to the outside lane to exit. Which is correct?
Neither, there is no special rule for this case. As you must indicate when you want to leave a roundabout, this will tell the driver waiting to join if they can or can not. So one can stay in the outside lane if there is too much traffic for someone to safely use the inner lane.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:38 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
My experience has been that it depends on the traffic conditions...

When there is a lot of traffic, the best approach is to enter to the outside and stay there until you exit the roundabout. When there is little-to-no traffic, going to the inside is more of an option if wanting to make it to your exit ASAP and/or avoid others coming into the roundabout. Of course the size of the roundabout makes a difference too. I've not heard there is different direction along these lines depending on which country you are in.
Correct.

Quote:
One thing I can also pass along. Don't exceed the speed limit even by just a little in the tunnels in Germany! I was amazed at how everyone was driving at exactly the same speed limit, and curious about the white flashes I kept seeing as I was driving just a bit faster than the others (while my wife was asleep in the passenger seat). Not too long after getting back, I overheard my wife on the phone arguing with the car rental company about us paying for tickets we never got while driving in Germany.

Suddenly it occurred to me what those flashes were all about...
Yes, we are very serious about this. Also on road works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism