Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 10:03 AM

12,192 posts, read 2,960,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I have been missing Shirina of course. I lok for her posts constantly and wonder whether she's ok. But anyone noticed an absence of Corporate Cowboy and Julian? I'd like to think that they have watched a lot of posting and seen who has both the best argument and the best character. Generally the Ilk of christian apologist (by no means all of them, some are really pretty good) we get here are not too brilliant either in their arguments or in their personality. They can be extraordinarily aggressive and judgemental. I'd like to think that CC and Julian came to see that,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
We plow and re-plow the same old ground an awful lot in this particular forum, it may just be a matter of intellectual fatigue.
It's summer. Maybe they're out and about, having fun, getting exercise, readying for their next volley of posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 10:15 AM

10,528 posts, read 6,158,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
But you can drink to knowing you are winning 'who has the most stupid government' race.

Umm, I beg to differ on that.

US and UK I'd say co-equal.

Really, I think about going home a lot but 'out of the frying pan, into the fire' springs to mind.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:29 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Umm, I beg to differ on that. US and UK I'd say co-equal. .
I'll drink to that.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:51 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,131 times
Two things that caught my interest lately:

*First, last week I was eating lunch at a Subway. Not my usual choice, but it was convenient. Anyway, I at inside and happened to overhear a conversation between two men discussing the global flood. One was explaining to the other how it was caused by a planet passing near Earth, and the gravitational influence exerted a strong (a fantastically strong) tide - the passing planet must've been large and must've passed fairly close. The other was in rapt agreement. Of course, this 'explanation' required virtually no familiarity with the concept physics, as the list of problems with such a phenomenon is considerable.

It was fascinating, in the same way I suppose that a train wreck is fascinating. It was a logical train wreck. And it's not the sort of thing one hears in the part of the country where I live.

*Second, today I was walking in an arboretum and an informational plaque along with the way included a little commentary (due to some local history) on the Reformed Druids of America. I suppose that implies that there are orthodox, or perhaps fundamentalist, druids somewhere? Weird. When I got home, I did a little googling, and it turns out that Reformed Druidism is organized (as much as they have any organization, which appears to be relatively little - the 'religion' seems to be practiced at least part in jest by many of its members) into groves. Because, of course.

I can't say that I find druidism any less baseless than the Abrahamic religions that predominate in the Western world, though it's surely more harmless. I do think that the diffusion of people looking for something/anything into such salad-bar type religions is probably a benefits, as it dilutes religious influence in society.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:51 PM

Just an observation: the A&A forum is remarkably quiet these days.

Is everyone on vacation?

Old 08-20-2019, 01:28 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times
Quote:
Just an observation: the A&A forum is remarkably quiet these days.

Is everyone on vacation?
Nothing new, we still don't believe in any gods.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandstander View Post
nothing new, we still don't believe in any gods.

LOL ...

Yeah I think we got it covered.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:09 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
Start of school? An adjustment in schedules, perhaps.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Two things that caught my interest lately:

*First, last week I was eating lunch at a Subway. Not my usual choice, but it was convenient. Anyway, I at inside and happened to overhear a conversation between two men discussing the global flood. One was explaining to the other how it was caused by a planet passing near Earth, and the gravitational influence exerted a strong (a fantastically strong) tide - the passing planet must've been large and must've passed fairly close. The other was in rapt agreement. Of course, this 'explanation' required virtually no familiarity with the concept physics, as the list of problems with such a phenomenon is considerable.

It was fascinating, in the same way I suppose that a train wreck is fascinating. It was a logical train wreck. And it's not the sort of thing one hears in the part of the country where I live.

Yes, we were plagued by passing planets back in biblical times.

Hilarious.

I'll be honest though, the first thought that crossed my mind was, at least they have grasped the concept of how tides work, so at least it's a start. LOL.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:14 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times
Quote:
LOL ...

Yeah I think we got it covered.
It's summer, so we are in re-runs. Let's see, what's a fun topic we can rehash? Want to make some more fun of that Kentucky Creationist Museum?

Get em while they're young....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism