Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2020, 01:07 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
She had an interesting story about that when she studied abroad in Chengdu that also tells something about social habits.

People in China in general don't have the concept of lining up in an orderly way and waiting their turn. They ditch in front of one another and will push others out of the way to be first.

For example, she and her roommate were taking a bus trip to another part of the Sichuan province. Everyone waiting for the bus had a ticket with an assigned seat, and yet when the bus came, they still elbowed and shoved one another to get on the bus first. People will push you out of the way when walking on the sidewalk. It's not considered rude. It's just what they do.

So one day she and her roommate were going into some government building for some reason. In that case, there was a sign to form a line because you had to put your bags through a security X-ray point upon entering the building.

While they were in line, she overheard two young women behind her talking about her and her roommate. She heard them wondering where they came from and why they were there. It's important that you don't make a Chinese person lose face, so she turned around and politely said that she couldn't help overhearing what they said, but that she came from the USA and her friend came from France and that they were studying at Sichuan University as foreign students. One of the Chinese women complimented her Chinese and seemed very interested and asked what they were studying and what they thought of Chengdu. My daughter said they were having a nice conversation as the line moved forward.

And then, when they got to the door and the security checkpoint the Chinese woman suddenly shoved her out of the way, threw her bag on the conveyor, and walked through first.

Ha ha, yes my husband and I lived with a bunch of Chinese students when we were at Uni who told us about this. They said people taking commuters trains back home memorize exactly where to stand on the platform so that when the train comes they are the first to jump on when the doors open.
Always strikes me as funny because in every other aspect of life they couldn't be more polite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 08:12 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Ha ha, yes my husband and I lived with a bunch of Chinese students when we were at Uni who told us about this. They said people taking commuters trains back home memorize exactly where to stand on the platform so that when the train comes they are the first to jump on when the doors open.
Always strikes me as funny because in every other aspect of life they couldn't be more polite.
Hey, I did that catching the PATH train from Newark to the World Trade Center station.

Glad those days are done.

I was still doing it working part-time post-retirement up until January, actually, but I didn't have to travel at rush hour anymore. Was mostly going into the city for engineering industry events in the late afternoon/evening, but that has ended. We would make introductions, exchange business cards, have close-in conversations about teaming for upcoming public projects, then all sit together in a big room for dinner and a presentation...a coronavirus's dream.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:45 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
I knowed what I had in mind to post. It was a video I watched and it was an inexplicable event.

Couldn't happen by chance. A mystery. A aircraft - a wartime bomber - crash landed without too much damage, but nobody was aboard.

Now, I was thinking what the explanation could be. Well unlikely though it seem, the crew could have bailed out and the plane Landed Itself (yeah sure). But the parachutes were still on board! I was at a loss.

But like a lot of these Mysteries until you know the answer it seems inexplicable until it gets explained and then, coincidence that would never be accepted if you didn't know, is what it was.

The moral is, that unexplained is NEVER evidence for some Mysterious powr, even if a 'rational' explanation seems astronomical odds.

Like the odds against a natural universe or Life, an unknown fact (see the vid) can reduce the odds drastically and the rest is long (but not impossible) odds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruSr_OQdGMw

Another inexplicable mystery is - what the heck is that accent?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-27-2020 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-27-2020, 10:45 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
Um, I was kidding, Harry.

I'm certainly aware of those facts. When one has a child who studies, speaks, writes, and teaches Mandarin, one learns basics about the language, (even though I personally can't for the life of me mimic some of those sounds that don't exist in English.)

She's great to take to the better Chinese restaurants, though. When the proprietors find out that this blond-haired white girl speaks their language, they tend to send out specialty dishes for free.
说得好

Old 10-27-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
说得好
I'll have to ask her what that means.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:32 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
I'll have to ask her what that means.
It would sound like "shoo da cow" and means "Well said."

Old 10-27-2020, 11:43 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It would sound like "shoo da cow" and means "Well said."
The last character is how, as in Ni How (hello). It is one of the few Chinese characters I remember from school.

According to Google translate, shoo should be with a level tone, da with the rising tone, and how with the dipping - rising tone.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:28 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
Can I just say that today is my favorite day of the year?

Happy Halloween, everyone!

Old 10-31-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Can I just say that today is my favorite day of the year?

Happy Halloween, everyone!
I like Halloween, too. I know I will get some kids, so I bought candy to put out front that they can take themselves. I'll make a sign saying take two pieces, and if I see any of the little brats take more, I'll speak in a deep voice from behind the front window curtain and tell them God saw them and they are going to hell.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:31 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
I like Halloween, too. I know I will get some kids, so I bought candy to put out front that they can take themselves. I'll make a sign saying take two pieces, and if I see any of the little brats take more, I'll speak in a deep voice from behind the front window curtain and tell them God saw them and they are going to hell.
That reminds me. If anyone comes to the door (put any stuff outside it'll be gone in 10 seconds) I'd better have my gag ready to wear.

Activity starts around 7 and you can close down ans start washing the stoves about 10. early 2000'ds it was a brisk trade but last year, hardly anybody. It wouldn't surprise me if Covid hasn't done for Trick or treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism