Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:23 AM

109 posts, read 205,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I've always found it amusing how some people (not pointing to anyone in this thread in particular) find it hard to conceive that humans, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, will turn into worm food after they die--just like EVERYTHING ELSE ON THIS PLANET. But instead, they must argue "No no! I'm special! I'm more special than that! " Such ridiculousness is always good for a laugh in the morning.
Amazing isn't it! Some people find it so hard...even impossible to accept that perhaps there just isn't any meaning or purpose to life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 10:25 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I've always found it amusing how some people (not pointing to anyone in this thread in particular) find it hard to conceive that humans, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, will turn into worm food after they die--just like EVERYTHING ELSE ON THIS PLANET. But instead, they must argue "No no! I'm special! I'm more special than that! " Such ridiculousness is always good for a laugh in the morning.
yeah, i know... i too find it rather humorous how people think they're "special". we're all just an number or statistic, a face to forget and another a**hole in traffic, all of us eat, sleep, crap, get sick, drink and die like everyone else. in my opinion, the only thing that makes one special is when one benefits humanity in some way, but the other 99.999% of us just go about a daily life of feeding some institution or another.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:38 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,113 times
They're some good questions. I'm an agnostic so here's my take on them:

1. I don't know what will happen when I die. Mabye I will be reincarnated, mabye I will ride the clouds and just survey the landscape or mabye I will simply disappear. I'd like to be reincarnated but to me the last option sounds like the most plausable. The prospect doesn't frighten me though because if you don't exist then something can't be unpleasant. Plus you may not exist in human form but the period in which you lived your life can never be taken away or changed once your gone. To quote the tagline from the film 'Gladiator', "What we do in life echoes in eternity". You will always exist in that time frame.

2. I live for every day and everyone I love and care about. My opinion is that, in the grand scheme of things, life is short and we should make the most of it. Live every day like it's your last and just enjoy yourself. Nobody knows for sure if there is an afterlife so for goodness sake don't waste what may be your one and only shot at existence.

3. To me love can mean many different things. There's the love you reserve for your family. This is a deep, caring love for those who are the closest to you and with those whom you are related. Then there's love for your friends. It's not 'love' in the conventional sense of the word but more a mutual appreciation and respect. Finally there's love for your partner in life (if you have one). This is the type that is most commonly associated with the world 'love' and is a deep, loving (there's that word again) affection for someone.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:01 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teva View Post
Amazing isn't it! Some people find it so hard...even impossible to accept that perhaps there just isn't any meaning or purpose to life.
And vice-versa my friend

Old 11-16-2007, 11:21 AM

49 posts, read 92,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
What do you believe that will happen after your life ends?
What was the meaning of your life, what did you live for?

Respect!
In all reality NOBODY has the REAL answer to what happens AFTER we die! You can BELIEVE all you want, but until you actually die, you will never know whether or not you "live" on! This can apply to "living on" as a spirit, as another person, or as worm food! And, you won't be around to share it with others! So the argument of an after-life will NEVER be solved!

I strongly believe it's best to live your life on earth trying to be as decent a human being as possible, to enjoy life to the max, but not at anyone's expense, to help others less fortunate, wherever possible, and NOT to worry about what happens AFTER you die. Peace be with you. Thanks for listening.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
Does it really amaze you?
I have grown up with and around people who can't or won't accept that.
I see people everywhere searching for the answers to life's questions - and I have thought about it myself (by the way, I am non-religious and I agree with you that there is no preconceived purpose to any life).

I do experience amazement on these boards. I'm sometimes truly shocked when I read what and why some people believe. But the eternal search for life's purpose is not something I am ever amazed by.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:08 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,799 times
Lights out. Nothingness. When you die, it's all over.

I live my life to see my family happy and comfortable. My own happiness also when possible. After I retire, I'll spend more time on me but family is first. You don't need religion to have a meaningful life.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:13 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,463 times
You go wherever it was you were before you were born

Old 11-16-2007, 05:22 PM

606 posts, read 698,741 times
My body will become part of the world. Matters will transfer into another form,not disapper.Anyone with basic chemistry knowledge understands that.

The meaning of life=duplication and survival

Old 06-30-2008, 10:48 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,257 times
Red face Old but interesting thread

I "died" once...three times, actually...had a pulmonary embolism ten years ago and survived after much ado to get my heart going and stay going. When I finally came around everyone wanted to know if I saw the White LIght. I did not...I actually only recall seeing a reddish brown color, but that was probably the bright lights through my eyelids.

What I DO recall is that while everyone else was running around in a panic, I felt totally peaceful and calm. So, whatever "death" is, it is peaceful and not to be feared.

As for why I am here? According to the Dalai Lama, we are here to "be happy" and I sort of agree with that. It's hard to do, though, when faced with so much drama and sadness and worry in life. But...there is also joy and laughter and love in life, so I suppose it's that old Yin Yang thing. Plus, I am here to keep the human race going by procreating. I did that, Twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism