Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 02:40 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times

Advertisements

LuminousTruth: How can you be an agnostic and yet live your life for "Lord God"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 01:32 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
LuminousTruth: How can you be an agnostic and yet live your life for "Lord God"?

Old 06-28-2011, 10:16 PM

10 posts, read 21,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
What do you believe that will happen after your life ends?
What was the meaning of your life, what did you live for?

Respect!
I don't know what will happen to my conciousness but energy cannot be destroyed and so the energy that powers me will move on into something else... so in essence I don't believe in the afterlife in the popular religious sense.

I don't believe in a meaning to life. We are, that is all and not in a depressing way. Why does there have to be a meaning to life? I am good because I want to be, I am polite because I want others to be polite to me...

I think this might sound sad and depressing to others, and yet I'm comforted that I don't have to have answers or know what's next.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenocide View Post
I don't know what will happen to my conciousness but energy cannot be destroyed and so the energy that powers me will move on into something else... so in essence I don't believe in the afterlife in the popular religious sense.

I don't believe in a meaning to life. We are, that is all and not in a depressing way. Why does there have to be a meaning to life? I am good because I want to be, I am polite because I want others to be polite to me...

I think this might sound sad and depressing to others, and yet I'm comforted that I don't have to have answers or know what's next.
Energy that powers you? Could you explain more of this?

Old 06-28-2011, 10:27 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Rafius: I tried to rep you for that "headshot" image, but was unable to. Anyway, it's great!

Old 06-28-2011, 10:52 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
What do you believe that will happen after your life ends?
The same thing that happens after everyone's life ends. The world continues, the Solar System drives on and the Universe continues to expand.

Other than that, the only thing that happens is that your body decays, at a much slower rate it was embalmed, not at all if you're cremated.

Quote:
What was the meaning of your life, what did you live for?
I don't know yet. I haven't had time to reflect, because I'm too busy living. It isn't really important that my life have meaning, and any meaning I attach to it would be highly subjective, not objective.

If others wish to attach meaning to it, that's fine with me and I don't really care since I won't be here when they get around to doing that.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:15 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I am an agnostic theist.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,212,206 times
Must resist must resist Aaaargh!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:00 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,863 times
What happens when I die? Nothing, I guess I'll finally catch up on sleep. Belief in afterlife seems like an extension of our survival instincts.

Life has no intrinsic meaning, we are to make our own meaning. I keep the fact that in life the only certainty is that it will end someday. So I live my life in the moment, I don't stress about what may come or regret what's in the past. I refuse to waste a moment of my life in suffering or unhappiness, I only have one chance at this thing. I take my life, and happiness into my own hands and I don't expect anyone else to make my life better.

That being said, I don't seek out suffering for anyone else either. I try to create peace wherever I go. I won't be a doormat for the world however, I treat people how they treat me.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:40 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,371,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Energy that powers you? Could you explain more of this?
Sounds a bit like this to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism