Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:26 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,350,617 times

Advertisements

Love provides something to live for, not the only thing, but one of the nicer goals.

I would define love as a willingness to help others, even at the expense of oneself.

To build as close to utopia as possible through such means would be quite a good goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:35 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
What do you believe that will happen after your life ends?
What was the meaning of your life, what did you live for?

Respect!
There you go using the "B"-word (Believe). We know what happens when you die is your body breaks down at whatever rate the preservations techniques used on your corpse allow. Eventually, subduction into the earth's mantle for re-melting (plate tectonics) .

I don't know that life has such as thing as "meaning". Some people accomplish a mission with their lives (being a doctor or lawyer or whatever they feel like pursuing). Personally, I live to build my wife and my business and certain sports.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:26 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,913,530 times
Default Alternate Appreciations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post
Well ,Let's say it just a language issue.
But, would you say too that the atheist person really have never felt that there is God when he get in a strong trouble ?

OR rather tell me about yourself IF you are atheist? because it's better than using generalization. because, maybe atheists others disagree.

Thank u.
This is the "no atheists in foxholes" argument, right? As in: when the bombs and missiles start to fall too close to our foxholes, we supposedly begin to frantically pray for salvation from a god we didn't pay attention to previously?

So sorry; it doesn't work that way. And incidentally, that has been studied post-Vietnam and other conflicts, and it simply does not happen. Usually, you are too busy trying to get underneath the mud at your feet to begin a pleasant prayer session with a mythical God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
You are twisting words in a totally illogical way, just to bolster your own belief. If you had positive proof, you wouldn't need belief.
Nicely stated, catman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanishGuy View Post
Well we will never fully disappear

We will turn to worm food which will become a part of the earth

Matter never ceases to exist, it only changes form
Mostly true, tho' technically the recognizable, self-aware "WE" does indeed disappear, as "WE" revert back to our base elements. Since that self-awareness is but a consequence of fairly simple and long-evolved biochemical and energy interactions, it also ceases to operate in any sort of functionality after the main wiring harness and sources of bio-chemical power fail us, and thus our lights go out. Permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
There you go using the "B"-word (Believe). We know what happens when you die is your body breaks down at whatever rate the preservations techniques used on your corpse allow. Eventually, subduction into the earth's mantle for re-melting (plate tectonics) .

I don't know that life has such as thing as "meaning". Some people accomplish a mission with their lives (being a doctor or lawyer or whatever they feel like pursuing). Personally, I live to build my wife and my business and certain sports.
You're "building" a wife? Yah know, I've heard of those kits: are there lots of nifty options? Can you program them to wash the car, do the lawns, cook, always tell funny jokes, etc. etc.?

As to life's meaning(s), I'd agree, concluding as I have by simply living and considering it all, that you get to make the meanings, the essence and the joys of your existence, rather than looking fertively for them. And letting others do all your thinking for you! Very intellectually lazy!

You know, as if there are some absolutes to be discovered if only we follow the teaching of any one of a vast number of those who claim to have found those absolute truths. Funny! (Oh, and for a small fee and everlasting fealty, you too can "own" them! And pass judgement on those who do not have such valuable possessions! )

(See: Scientology or Catholicism for good examples...)

Old 06-07-2011, 11:22 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Dang Cat, I was gonna rep for eloquence, but...."gotta spread around...." I got the same response when I tried to rep "Rifleman" too. Let it be known that you are in good company. One other little thing that has nothing to do with the topic, but....got that old Dillon press of mine cleaned up and in working order, need a set of scales ( I like to hand weigh each and every charge) and I'll be back reloading. Will start off slow, .41 Mag, then work into the .270 and 7MM Mag.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:37 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Thanks, Dusty. Yes indeed, rifleman is good company, as are you and several others. Yes, I've been considering just getting a little cheap 'one-at-a-time' press just to get my feet wet (but I'll keep my powder dry).

Maybe I should try to "build" a wife. I used to build Heathkits. It'd probably turn out as well as the prefabricated ones I've had.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:22 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
What do you believe that will happen after your life ends?
What was the meaning of your life, what did you live for?

Respect!
I am Agnostic; but for myself, I belive that:

After my life ends, i will no longer have a life.

the meaning of my life is that i live it and science reveals how it seems, insticts like flight from death rule our radical world views; I live for humanity, my loved ones, and Lord God.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:12 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Y'all can get nasty and corpsified in a box or become overdone crispy critters, but I'm gonna live forever, hopefully after a brain transplant or cerebral download onto the web. Then I'm gonna take over the world and execute my devious plan to erase this planet's cultural memory of Lady Gaga.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:04 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,723 times
Just noticed this thread had been bumped - some great comments here.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:59 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
This a really good article for those who insist on putting their own spin on agnosticsm

The rise of the new agnostics. - By Ron Rosenbaum - Slate Magazine

Old 06-12-2011, 02:29 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Personally, I live to build my wife.....
You're building your wife!!! WOW man...that must be something! Can I have the plans after you've finishes. Now let me see...

1. Kylie Minogues butt.
2. The boobs from that Russian pole vaulter who's name I can never remember.

3. Leah Hibbert's legs
4. Ummm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism