Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:21 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,918,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
You have to get real. Its not about god. Its about stopping your inability to control yourself.

there is absolutely no requirement to believe in god to be in AA. Nobody in aa should be telling you that there is one. G_O_D can be a group of drunks helping you. That is it. That Group of drunks can help you better than yourself by yourself most times. Basicly it is about people helping people. NO GOD NEEDED!!!

Don't blame somebody else believing on your fall. Addiction is a chemical reaction. if you keep the reactants separated there will be no reaction. the worst thing that can happen is that you don't mess things up worse by being high or drunk and you will make a mistake using a clear head. Which is far better than a mistake while being drunk/high.

Also, you have to remember the time when it was written. "meditation" is a good thing. Period, end of discussion. If I have to go into why; you need a better mentor. Ignore the "praying to god" parts.

But I am not sure you are being totally honest with us because of how you describe "sky daddy" and don't describe AA properly.
Except I outlined the huge emphasis on a god in this post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/36821261-post47.html

that Al Anon places onto its members. For one who is not a believe in a "higher power" never mind a god, 1/2 the steps become irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 05:11 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Yes there is god in there because most people believe. And look at when it was written. But it is not a requirement. The only real requirement is that you face yourself in the mirror, use the group to help describe what you see, and try not to drink or drug. IMHO that is.

If a person does not believe in god then they do not have to believe in god in AA. It is totally acceptable, welcomed, and sometimes even respected in that group. I say this because if there is another atheist in the group and you stand up and say you are one then we may have two drunks helping each other through that book. They can even laugh together at sky daddy ... and stay sober doing it. That's the point. '

also, remember, if we don't like AA or al then leave ... go to where it will help you not drink or help deal with a drunk. I am sure they will tell you that too. That is the number point anyway. don't drink/drug and do whatever it takes not to. if leaving aa does it for you ... do it!!

Old 06-14-2018, 05:14 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,062,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggbeater Bliss View Post
I find myself in the untenable position of being an agnostic in a 12 step program. I’ve been clean for almost five years. The trouble is I don’t actually believe that some magic Santa Claus in the sky is keeping me clean. I believe that I’m staying clean through the power of one addict helping another. I know I can’t stay clean by myself, I've tried. For the most part 12 step programs give a person the freedom to choose their own “Higher Power,” but when I started getting into the steps I’ve found that the wording really throws me off.

For example, I've been stuck on Step 11 for over a year: “Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood him.” I prayed for the first 3 years I was in recovery because it is suggested but it felt artificial the entire time and I never got any benefit from it. So I stopped.

I want to stay clean. I don’t want to relapse or run on self-will like I was but I can’t honestly pray or meditate. They say meditation is listening for God’s answer –well, all I hear when I try to meditate is the sound of my own scrambled thoughts. And frankly, if I heard God’s voice I would check myself into the nearest psychiatric ward anyway.

I’m wondering if there are any other atheists/agnostics out there in 12 step programs that could help me out. I feel really stuck and I am afraid of relapse.
No you arent stuck on step 11.
You lied in step 3.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:09 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
I don't have any addictions, but my higher power has always been the chaos of the universe. From what I understand about 12-step programs, you just need a higher power, doesn't necessarily need to be a god. Or am I wrong on that?

Old 06-15-2018, 09:51 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I don't have any addictions, but my higher power has always been the chaos of the universe. From what I understand about 12-step programs, you just need a higher power, doesn't necessarily need to be a god. Or am I wrong on that?

That's what I was told when I accompanied my wife to AA meetings.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:29 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggbeater Bliss View Post
I find myself in the untenable position of being an agnostic in a 12 step program. I’ve been clean for almost five years. The trouble is I don’t actually believe that some magic Santa Claus in the sky is keeping me clean. I believe that I’m staying clean through the power of one addict helping another. I know I can’t stay clean by myself, I've tried. For the most part 12 step programs give a person the freedom to choose their own “Higher Power,” but when I started getting into the steps I’ve found that the wording really throws me off.

For example, I've been stuck on Step 11 for over a year: “Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood him.” I prayed for the first 3 years I was in recovery because it is suggested but it felt artificial the entire time and I never got any benefit from it. So I stopped.

I want to stay clean. I don’t want to relapse or run on self-will like I was but I can’t honestly pray or meditate. They say meditation is listening for God’s answer –well, all I hear when I try to meditate is the sound of my own scrambled thoughts. And frankly, if I heard God’s voice I would check myself into the nearest psychiatric ward anyway.

I’m wondering if there are any other atheists/agnostics out there in 12 step programs that could help me out. I feel really stuck and I am afraid of relapse.
if your group says you need a god, get another group. Unless that god is a Group Of Drunks helping you that is.

If you had someone say "here, drink this, and you will screw up and smash everything you own. Your own kids will hate you and you will wind up dead, insane, or imprisoned."

you in?

Old 06-16-2018, 09:21 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Nope. My daughter is in recovery. She refers to her "HP" on Facebook from time to time, but she doesn't believe in a god as far as I know. It's a concept that there is something bigger than you, something to focus on, but as my late best friend, who eventually lost her battle with alcohol said, "the refrigerator can be your higher power if that's what you choose".

Old 06-16-2018, 01:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
It may be that there is not something near you, but you might want to check:

https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/r...stics-recover/

https://aaagnostica.org/
https://secularaa.org/

Old 06-17-2018, 09:49 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
No you arent stuck on step 11.
You lied in step 3.
Step 3: [i][“Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.” In step three of AA you are making a decision: it's that simple./I]

How do you know they lied in step 3? I checked that person's history and 3 years after this post they were still clean. That's 8 years total. They became addicted to pain pills trying to deal with chronic pain. Some pretty bad chronic pain that was still an issue after getting clean. Somehow they've managed.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:44 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
My dd was also looking into this:

https://www.smartrecovery.org/

She's currently in Hong Kong and texted me that she attended an "AA-type" meeting over there. Since that's not a particularly religious place, I wonder if they leave the God/HP part out. I'll ask her when she gets back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism