Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2016, 01:42 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Very well, that matter, stuff or material (eternal or not) is our creator. What then?
Then we agree, more or less. There really is no other answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 01:58 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Then we agree, more or less. There really is no other answer.
I suspect it's less rather than more. I doubt very much that you would agree that there is 'no other answer' than matter or stuff being our "Creator" through unplanned natural physical processes. If however, you do so agree, then we really are in agreement.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:58 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Everything you listed is either a creator or "I don't know". Based on observation, a creator is logical.
Well you are clearly unwilling to consider what you're reading at face value. Several of them are ways our universe could have come into being without a creator. A creator assumes that the universe itself isn't eternal, AND that time itself has always functioned as presently known and understood. Even those things assume a single universe, which may well not be the case.

Your argument is not logical because it is a combination of an argument from incredulity and god of the gaps ... probably undergirded by an implicit argument from authority. It is also illogical in that it rejects any information or argument that doesn't support your belief -- which renders it, charitably put, less than fact-based or free of confirmation bias.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I suspect it's less rather than more. I doubt very much that you would agree that there is 'no other answer' than matter or stuff being our "Creator" through unplanned natural physical processes. If however, you do so agree, then we really are in agreement.
Cosmic accident? No.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well you are clearly unwilling to consider what you're reading at face value. Several of them are ways our universe could have come into being without a creator. A creator assumes that the universe itself isn't eternal, AND that time itself has always functioned as presently known and understood. Even those things assume a single universe, which may well not be the case.

Your argument is not logical because it is a combination of an argument from incredulity and god of the gaps ... probably undergirded by an implicit argument from authority. It is also illogical in that it rejects any information or argument that doesn't support your belief -- which renders it, charitably put, less than fact-based or free of confirmation bias.
What argument negates a creator?

Old 07-03-2016, 02:11 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
What argument negates a creator?
As I just said ... a creator presupposes a number of things we don't know to be true. It presupposes a linear timeline that has always proceeded in the same direction from a finite past to a presumably infinite future. It presupposes that the attribute of eternality belongs to the creator rather than to creation itself. It presupposes we are only dealing with one universe. There is a distinct nonzero possibility that NONE of these things are true.

A creator also presupposes that the material universe is real rather than entirely perceived. Although I see no pragmatic reason to believe in solipsism, I see no way to disprove it either.

A divine creator also presupposes that it is the most proximate creator. I described the possibility that we are created by non-divine agent(s). That would just be kicking the can down the road but I think it would be just as discomfiting to your theology as no creator at all.

The bottom line here is that NEITHER of us can claim a knowledge position about how the universe came to be, or how life came to be. You respond to that by deciding what you want to be true and calling it logical. I respond to that by admitting I don't know, although I in general terms believe that your particular explanation is among the least likely to be true based on what we DO know about the universe at this time and its known history.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
As I just said ... a creator presupposes a number of things we don't know to be true. It presupposes a linear timeline that has always proceeded in the same direction from a finite past to a presumably infinite future. It presupposes that the attribute of eternality belongs to the creator rather than to creation itself. It presupposes we are only dealing with one universe. There is a distinct nonzero possibility that NONE of these things are true.

A creator also presupposes that the material universe is real rather than entirely perceived. Although I see no pragmatic reason to believe in solipsism, I see no way to disprove it either.

A divine creator also presupposes that it is the most proximate creator. I described the possibility that we are created by non-divine agent(s). That would just be kicking the can down the road but I think it would be just as discomfiting to your theology as no creator at all.

The bottom line here is that NEITHER of us can claim a knowledge position about how the universe came to be, or how life came to be. You respond to that by deciding what you want to be true and calling it logical. I respond to that by admitting I don't know, although I in general terms believe that your particular explanation is among the least likely to be true based on what we DO know about the universe at this time and its known history.
So, "we don't know" is the best answer you can give. Left with that, a creator makes the most sense.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:48 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
So, "we don't know" is the best answer you can give. Left with that, a creator makes the most sense.
It seems to me that the answers we have historically come up with for the "we don't knows" have been flat out wrong once we do know. Why would you assume this one would hold up once we do have more information? "we don't know yet" not "we have to have a conclusive answer right now..pick one...pick one..."

Old 07-03-2016, 04:59 PM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
No evidence or just none you choose to believe?
I believe that the accounts in Bible, for example, are entirely mythology that is overlaid with some circumstantial history.

The Bible is one of mankind's numerous attempts to explain truth and reality in a world where scientific knowledge was largely absent. It was probably the best thing we had going for many centuries.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:00 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Who made god, or this so called creator?

Answer - Silly old men likely on drugs, hallucinating, and hearing voices way before any science advancement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism