Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 12:49 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,804,165 times

Advertisements

My moment happened in a foxhole - I took advantage of a particularly heavy round of shelling, to check my lottery ticket. Upon seeing that I had a losing ticket, it suddenly occurred to me, that there is no God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:44 PM

51,210 posts, read 24,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I believe it to be absurd that a Christian in a first world country believes he is supernaturally blessed when he finds his car keys or gets a job, while millions starve to death in rest of the world.
I agree. Yet, I can think of dozens of times I've heard christians say that they thank god for some petty good fortune, while others are starving to death and dying horrible deaths.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:37 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,120,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
One of the best examples of "selective bias" (although I think we are fudging that term a bit) I ever personally experienced was a conversation I was having with one of my secretaries quite a few years back. She knew I was from Palmyra, NY, the village where Joseph Smith founded Mormonism, although my family was not Mormon. She said, "Well, if there were actually Golden Plates, let those Mormons show them to us! And since they can't, it's clear it's nothing but a made-up story". My response was, "Well, if there were actually Ten Commandments on a stone table, let those Christians show them to us! And since they can't, it's clear it's nothing but a made-up story". And of course, her answer was, "Well, that's different!"
Good example. When other Christians or Jews ask me where the archaeological evidence is for the civilizations described in The Book of Mormon, I tell them it's in the evidence room right along-side the archaeological evidence for the Israelites' Exodus out of Egypt. They don't like that answer, but it's another good example of selective bias.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Good example. When other Christians or Jews ask me where the archaeological evidence is for the civilizations described in The Book of Mormon, I tell them it's in the evidence room right along-side the archaeological evidence for the Israelites' Exodus out of Egypt. They don't like that answer, but it's another good example of selective bias.
Yup!

Old 07-12-2018, 05:24 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,178,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree. Yet, I can think of dozens of times I've heard christians say that they thank god for some petty good fortune, while others are starving to death and dying horrible deaths.
Most Christians are out of touch with reality.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:59 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,622,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Most Christians are out of touch with reality.
Well duh!

Talking donkeys and snakes !

Old 07-13-2018, 10:08 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,362,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
My moment happened in a foxhole - I took advantage of a particularly heavy round of shelling, to check my lottery ticket. Upon seeing that I had a losing ticket, it suddenly occurred to me, that there is no God.
An atheist in a foxhole? Surely not!

Old 07-13-2018, 10:19 AM

16,878 posts, read 5,059,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
An atheist in a foxhole? Surely not!
Why would a Christian dig a foxhole in the first place?

Lack of faith?

Old 07-13-2018, 02:14 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,243,739 times
I remember the moment well.....I was driving from Miami to Tallahassee when suddenly there was no blinding light in the sky, no celestial choir of angels began to sing, and there was a mysterious absence of disembodied voices speaking to me. My car did not begin to drive itself and I was imbued with no ability to speak in tongues. Nothing of any consequence, other than getting a bit further down the road, took place ...and that is when I knew.....

Old 07-15-2018, 05:44 PM

This wasn't "the moment", but looking back now I think it was the first doubt -- watching Spencer Tracy and Fredric March battle it out in "Inherit The Wind", probably on Saturday Night At The Movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism