Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2018, 09:44 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,940,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Ozzy sounds more like jeffbase every day. Too bad.
It really is, but like Jeff, there is Something there, and those brainwashed into supporting religion come to their senses all the time. They make up half of us atheists. There is never No Hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 12:30 PM

15,290 posts, read 17,794,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Then they were simply a tool for everyone, including the Atheists of the time. Which is what you are essentially saying.
No, it was an entirely Christian movement, using the Bible to justify slavery. It's in the book, so Christians have to believe it. Except for the parts that they don't. Southern Baptists broke with the Baptist Church over the issue of slavery, and for no other reason. Their biblical literalist movement didn't get started until the '70s, and they had to eject a lot of congregations that wouldn't go along with eliminating thought and reason from religion.

Fortunately, American morality has moved past the primitive iron age biblical idea of right and wrong, though current events sometimes give me cause to despair.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:32 PM

15,290 posts, read 17,794,456 times
Quote:
Any Atheist who tries to say that their belief system is somehow more good or more moral than that of typical religious believers, is living in a dream world. Their entire existence is sustained by religious people. They don't seem to have a clue, honestly.

They tell each other these myths, and believe they are winning arguments. Which is no different than religious people who do the same. No difference.
Belief is a waste of time. Religion is for people who can't deal with reality.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:58 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,286,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Belief is a waste of time. Religion is for people who can't deal with reality.
What is available for we atheists who also can't deal with reality?

Old 10-01-2018, 01:35 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,364,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
For us Canadians there will be October 17th 😁

Old 10-01-2018, 04:46 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,953,827 times
I can't take all the general bullying and myth-telling in the atheist subforum. I opened this in the general Religion, so I'm not very happy with having it here, even if it is the appropriate place.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:56 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,502,423 times
Quote:
I can't take all the general bullying and myth-telling in the atheist subforum. I opened this in the general Religion, so I'm not very happy with having it here, even if it is the appropriate place.
"Slavery was good for everyone!"

"No it wasn't. Here's why."

"Stop bullying me!"

Old 10-01-2018, 05:11 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,953,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
"Slavery was good for everyone!"

"No it wasn't. Here's why."

"Stop bullying me!"
Husker, you are a liar.

My point is that those who condemned slavery benefitted from it just as much as those who practiced it. And those who condemn it today seem to have no problem with the system of low wage manual laborers who continue to sustain them.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:26 PM

5,722 posts, read 4,044,018 times
Quote:
I will sometimes hear atheists speak favorably of ancient myths like Thor or Pan with a sort fondness, as compared to the traditional Christian god.

Does this mean that one day in the future, even Jehova will find similar favor with atheists, after he inevitably transforms into a myth?
Kind of an interesting question, but I think you're mistaking feigned fondness for say 'Thor' for actual fondness. It's more of a rhetorical device typically used to point out the tunnel vision of Christians. On the unlikely day that religion fades into the 'dustbin of history', I think the prevailing sentiment will be 'good riddance' more than anything nostalgic. That said, in a comparative literature sense, I consider the Abraham test of faith story to be really cool. Yahweh was apparently quite a prankster when He set His mind to it; as someone who's long had a weakness for practical jokes, he earned some definite god cred in my personal book with that one. In an imagined post-religion world, I think there'd be a decent number of people treating the Gospels as Thomas Jefferson did--material to mine for moral precepts while ignoring anything to do with the supernatural.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:41 PM

50,147 posts, read 20,940,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Alcohol, in large quantities.

Quote:
By all means, close down and start again. It all seems to be the same argument.

Quote:
Husker, you are a liar.

My point is that those who condemned slavery benefitted from it just as much as those who practiced it. And those who condemn it today seem to have no problem with the system of low wage manual laborers who continue to sustain them.
We can't all go to live on a desert Island because the world is not perfect. You can't slag off those who denounce exploitative employment standards in some other country because their Cheap products flood into the country, get sold, the sellers pay their taxes and we share in what is done with the taxes.

That's a rubbish argument. It's what people say, stand for and work for that counts, not refusing to stop at a traffic light because you found out it was paid for by taxes derived from selling dollies made by Asian child labour.

I wonder how Shirina is. Haven't heard from her for a while.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-01-2018 at 05:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism