Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 04:19 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,946,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It may not be completely accurate. It is still more accurate than the Bible.
I just don't understand why it's such an important quote to Atheists today. I'm sure that lots of crazy things are said during times of war. Maybe the guy was actually an Atheist.

I really don't think that Atheists would have handle the Crusades any better than anyone else did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 04:25 AM

16,884 posts, read 5,079,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I just don't understand why it's such an important quote to Atheists today. I'm sure that lots of crazy things are said during times of war. Maybe the guy was actually an Atheist.
I was talking about Mircea's post.

Quote:
I really don't think that Atheists would have handle the Crusades any better than anyone else did.
Do you think atheists would have started wars to make the 'Holy lands' Christian again?

Old 10-03-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

Do you think atheists would have started wars to make the 'Holy lands' Christian again?
Atheists are at least as responsible for war as anyone else.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:51 AM

16,884 posts, read 5,079,405 times
Quote:
Atheists are at least as responsible for war as anyone else.
As are people who eat cucumbers. But somehow I think you will not get that point either.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:52 AM

50,143 posts, read 20,925,474 times
Quote:
I'm usually just responding to ignorant statements. But I'm not trying to convert anyone.
But that wasn't an ignorant statement. It was essentially correct. I suspect that this is another translation - issue: "Ignorant" translates as "Unwelcome". And I can't recall seeing you siding with atheists here in correcting ignorant statements by the theist apologetic side. A bias of yours towards Christianity is becoming quite evident and i'm just curious about the reasons why people who should see the harm Christianity has done in the past (rather than laugh it off "Heard that so many times" and 'Everybody did that sort of thing' which is true enough, but shouldn't we expect better from Christianity if the book is supposed to be such a fine guide to life?) and is still doing today should should be fighting atheism (obviously you couldn't make a case for conversion here; you tried and failed) and I'm rather curious abut just what it is about this blasted religion that has you battling atheism like this.

You are far from being the only one. I'm becoming astonished at the number of serious doubters who nevertheless battle atheism as fiercely as any Christian apologist.

I have to mention what I am very soon going to call the Stavrakopoulu syndrome as someone who is an atheist is nevertheless battling atheism, and we know why. She loves the book and is fascinated by it, and is pissed that atheism is going all - out to destroy it as a book that is culturally important to the West. Is that your problem, too?

Old 10-03-2018, 02:56 PM

51,382 posts, read 24,773,097 times
Quote:
I'm usually just responding to ignorant statements. But I'm not trying to convert anyone.
Yes you are.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:58 PM

51,382 posts, read 24,773,097 times
Quote:

Why would atheists be on the Crusades?

Old 10-03-2018, 03:39 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,674,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
But that wasn't an ignorant statement. It was essentially correct. I suspect that this is another translation - issue: "Ignorant" translates as "Unwelcome". And I can't recall seeing you siding with atheists here in correcting ignorant statements by the theist apologetic side. A bias of yours towards Christianity is becoming quite evident and i'm just curious about the reasons why people who should see the harm Christianity has done in the past (rather than laugh it off "Heard that so many times" and 'Everybody did that sort of thing' which is true enough, but shouldn't we expect better from Christianity if the book is supposed to be such a fine guide to life?) and is still doing today should should be fighting atheism (obviously you couldn't make a case for conversion here; you tried and failed) and I'm rather curious abut just what it is about this blasted religion that has you battling atheism like this.

You are far from being the only one. I'm becoming astonished at the number of serious doubters who nevertheless battle atheism as fiercely as any Christian apologist.

I have to mention what I am very soon going to call the Stavrakopoulu syndrome as someone who is an atheist is nevertheless battling atheism, and we know why. She loves the book and is fascinated by it, and is pissed that atheism is going all - out to destroy it as a book that is culturally important to the West. Is that your problem, too?

lmao. we put our claims through the same rigor we put their claims through. You don't do that. You jump on peoples side based on t-shirt colors, not evidence. no matter how crazy the claim, if the person is wearing "kill religious", you're on board.

you can't conceive of the problem of 'that there evil god" problem has to be stacked up with the equally silly claim of "that there loving god".

you aren't interested in how the universe works, you are interested in pushing your anti-religious statement of belief on others. Any 1/2 witt knows that freedom of religion shows the intellectual and emotional maturity of a group of people.

once you get your way, you will turn on the rest of us "live and let live" types. well, unless they submit to your base faith statement that is.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

I'm not an Atheist so I don't think the same way she does. I can't speak for someone like that although I have appreciated her work, as it was from her that I first heard about the Garden of Eden representing the temple. That opened up the Old Testament and the New Testament for me. But even you can't deny that the Bible is an interesting subject, or at least it should be for anyone living in the west, as if you didn't understand why any nonbeliever would find it interesting. And like I've said before, I think it contains a lot of truth written by fellow Theists.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao. we put our claims through the same rigor we put their claims through. You don't do that. You jump on peoples side based on t-shirt colors, not evidence. no matter how crazy the claim, if the person is wearing "kill religious", you're on board.

you can't conceive of the problem of 'that there evil god" problem has to be stacked up with the equally silly claim of "that there loving god".

you aren't interested in how the universe works, you are interested in pushing your anti-religious statement of belief on others. Any 1/2 witt knows that freedom of religion shows the intellectual and emotional maturity of a group of people.

once you get your way, you will turn on the rest of us "live and let live" types. well, unless they submit to your base faith statement that is.
I have to agree in part. There does seem to be a lot of acceptance on this sub-forum of any idea that comes with an atheist label.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism