Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2018, 02:14 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,273,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I can visualise it already - Mono photo, please...I already know the blurb for mine "Once i had put it down, I could not pick it up again".
I was counting on you to be the one who contributes the mandatory "The feel good mystery novel of the year!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 02:21 PM

50,147 posts, read 20,932,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I was counting on you to be the one who contributes the mandatory "The feel good mystery novel of the year!"
Maybe if I get to rewrite it

Old 11-10-2018, 10:18 PM

62 posts, read 33,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I just don't get it. I can see how you're open minded though and have some hope. But why do people take the Bible as Fact? Where is the proof? I have asked this question many times. And I never get a pure answer. Instead I just get the run around. I don't like run arounds.
This is almost 2019... I just don't get it.
Keep in mind that many are the victims of programming by well meaning parents, programming that often started long before potty training was attempted.

I am fortunate enough that I suffered no such programming being raised by atheists, as we did with our children. Our daughter has dabbled with several religions, to pretty much leave them in the past. I know that my oldest grandsons have no beliefs in a god. This became apparent when they talked about their uncle, (on their dad's side) who has gone loony tunes evangelical all of a sudden.

The really scary aspect is that we are surrounded by far too many that believe nonsense like the ark is an actual event, or the 7% that believe chocolate milk comes from brown cows.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:42 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,932,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Skeptic View Post
Keep in mind that many are the victims of programming by well meaning parents, programming that often started long before potty training was attempted.

I am fortunate enough that I suffered no such programming being raised by atheists, as we did with our children. Our daughter has dabbled with several religions, to pretty much leave them in the past. I know that my oldest grandsons have no beliefs in a god. This became apparent when they talked about their uncle, (on their dad's side) who has gone loony tunes evangelical all of a sudden.

The really scary aspect is that we are surrounded by far too many that believe nonsense like the ark is an actual event, or the 7% that believe chocolate milk comes from brown cows.
And an astounding amount who believe the world is flat.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:57 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,273,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
And an astounding amount who believe the world is flat.
And before that it was carbonated.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:22 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,538,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'll be happy to answer that.....
Now what about you?
Haha, that was the best post...I like you, Ozzy, no offense..but,
ya gotta admit, phetaroi kinda shut down that whole challenge!
('What have you done...?")
Best answer ever, phet.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Stupidity. Mental laziness. Fear.
Mostly fear, and stupid people have good reason to fear; they're less equipped.
What a great sentence...pure psychological insight. Brava, Kara.

Now, the thing is we must have compassion for these folks...do we make fun of someone with
an injured leg that can't run as fast as us? No, we lend a hand.

Added: And do we get mad at them if they spit and whine at us that they don't need our stinkin' help? Ha! No.

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-11-2018 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 11-11-2018, 07:34 AM

1,279 posts, read 863,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I just don't get it. I can see how you're open minded though and have some hope. But why do people take the Bible as Fact? Where is the proof? I have asked this question many times. And I never get a pure answer. Instead I just get the run around. I don't like run arounds.

This is almost 2019... I just don't get it.
First, there is plenty of contemporary non-Biblical evidence that supports many stories in the Bible. Even Jesus is mentioned in Roman records.

Second, I don’t take everything in the Bible as literally true, and my church doesn’t either. For example, two of every animal couldn’t have fit into Noah’s Ark. But that doesn’t affect the theology behind the story. There was a flood (as documented in other records) and the theology of Noah’s Ark is valid.

Third, there is plenty of current evidence for God’s existence: for example, near-death experiences, for one.

Fourth, are humans the highest life form in the universe? Why would anyone be 100% confident that we are?

Old 11-11-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
To me it would seem relatively easy to sway global religious opinion away from
a belief in god if our movies portrayed it as self-serving. We need a good book to start the process ....
You have good insight.

I will take it a step further...me, who knows God up-close and personal, pls rem I am not a Fundie or Christian...
you are exactly correct...
'He' is Self-serving.
Of course, there's more to the story... Just a few more layers to understand, is all.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:38 AM

16,888 posts, read 5,082,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
First, there is plenty of contemporary non-Biblical evidence that supports many stories in the Bible.
And much that refutes it.

Quote:
Even Jesus is mentioned in Roman records.
Yes, but only because they were forged by later Christians.

Quote:
Third, there is plenty of current evidence for God’s existence: for example, near-death experiences, for one.
The different experiences show they are a product of a mind rather than genuine experiences of gods and UFOs.

Quote:
Fourth, are humans the highest life form in the universe? Why would anyone be 100% confident that we are?
Possibly not. But I am no sure what that has to do with the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism