Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2018, 11:22 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,928,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You are making the error of using a conclusion as proof of the conclusion.

It would be akin to arguing that Robin Hood must have been real because in the stories he was beloved by too many people to not have been real.
Or that it is proven that Dwarves can withstand an environment of furnace heat and molten gold without even breaking into sweat, and the proof is that it was shown in a film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 12:13 PM

51,424 posts, read 24,782,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
For all the lovely and wonderful deeds a person does that would make someone worthy of citizen of the year award, it seems like there is a ton of work being done under the surface that is not being shown. Atheists love to criticize religious people, but the fact is that religious people make up the majority of the population. And it was probably religious people who built their homes and who brought their food to them from the fields. But those kinds of things are just so mundane and not even worth mentioning.

I'm sure now there will be atheists who claim that all that necessary hard work is being done by atheists, even though they are a minority of the population. Fantasy worlds.
You're right. Not worth mentioning when something you are doing is just what your job -- that you get paid for -- requires. When I was young and worked in a grocery job I worked hard in a grocery store. Big deal. I did my work, I got paid.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:32 PM

50,147 posts, read 20,928,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're right. Not worth mentioning when something you are doing is just what your job -- that you get paid for -- requires. When I was young and worked in a grocery job I worked hard in a grocery store. Big deal. I did my work, I got paid.
And if you did that as a Christian, then that is Great Credit - not to you so much but to Christianity. But if you did it as an atheist, well, Ozzy says, you're probably lying and never did a stroke of work in your life, but leached off the system to fund your drug habit...

But then Ozzy, as he says is being as fair to atheism as he knows how to be. I can hardly speak for gratitude.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:56 PM

51,424 posts, read 24,782,225 times
Quote:
Maybe someone should start a thread showing the statistics of professions held by atheists. But I think this will probably be swept under the rug. Or an atheist will hire someone to sweep for them.
See, there you go again.

Nothing here is swept under the rug...except by you. Perhaps you've already forgotten the challenge you started for people to state what special things they had done for certain minorities...and then when the responses weren't what you hoped, you accused us of lying.

But okay. I'll be open again. 13 years a science teacher; 20 years a school administrator.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:55 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,362,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
See, there you go again.

Nothing here is swept under the rug...except by you. Perhaps you've already forgotten the challenge you started for people to state what special things they had done for certain minorities...and then when the responses weren't what you hoped, you accused us of lying.

But okay. I'll be open again. 13 years a science teacher; 20 years a school administrator.
I was a laborer building city sidewalks , houses and a sewer pipeline. I also worked for both the provincial and federal government, worked as a technician and instructor at colleges, worked in a Chrome plating shop wrapping bumpers and owned and operated my own business.

OzzyRules refuses to answer the same question he asked me, called us liars and now infers that we not only don't work but that it is only religious (Christians ) who do actual work. He needs to return to that fundamentalist church he didn't like as he has returned to is less than honest portrayal of atheists and atheism and a sugar coated view of relugion.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:44 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,938,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I just don't get it. I can see how you're open minded though and have some hope. But why do people take the Bible as Fact? Where is the proof? I have asked this question many times. And I never get a pure answer. Instead I just get the run around. I don't like run arounds.

This is almost 2019... I just don't get it.
Stupidity. Mental laziness. Fear. Mostly fear, and stupid people have good reason to fear; they're less equipped.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:16 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,947,648 times
Funny. Normally atheists are so proud about how intelligent and educated they are. And they SHOULD be. But now that I've made this point about the kind of people who do manual labor, the atheists are going to try to have people thinking that they are all suddenly dishwashers and janitor's assistants with no access to internet during their working hours.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:49 PM

16,770 posts, read 15,837,184 times
Quote:
Funny. Normally atheists are so proud about how intelligent and educated they are. And they SHOULD be. But now that I've made this point about the kind of people who do manual labor, the atheists are going to try to have people thinking that they are all suddenly dishwashers and janitor's assistants with no access to internet during their working hours.
You obviously don't know anything about the demographics of people with high intelligence. MysticPhD can confirm that the membership in Mensa (entry requirement: top 2% of the population by IQ) covers the full gamut of occupations, from university professors to movie actors/actresses to musicians to scientists to police officers to manual laborers to dishwashers to prison inmates. A couple of trends have been observed by people who study this sort of thing: People working in the physical sciences are less likely to be religious than the general population, and people in prison identify as Christian in a greater percentage than the general population. Make of it what you will.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:21 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,920,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Separating oneself from God, who is all good & love...
Have you actually read the O.T?

Quote:
Being united with God is what He wills of every one of us...
It's always been a mystery to me how an omnimax deity 'wants' something...but can't get it!

Quote:
And just to tie this back into the OP's original post, the bible is a compilation (using mans imperfect words/language) to convey the Will of The Living God, so that man, can eventually understand it, and participate in it.
So please tell us why an omnimax deity would use the imperfect words of 'flawed' humans to transmit its important message whilst knowing full well that in doing so, it would result in some 30,000 different denominations cutting each others throats over which denomination has understood the message correctly.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:33 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,442,893 times
For a forum full of people who generally demand evidence for claims - I always find it amusing that a claim to be a member of "mensa" is taken as evidence someone actually is a member of "mensa". Even when the claimant shows every sign of not having the basic entry requirements.

Quote:
What would 'proof' matter? Even satan has FULL proof/evidence/knowledge of God, yet he still chooses to DISOBEY and separate himself from God.
Cute story. Not a shred of evidence any of it is true though.

Comically though I love that this "god" is a satan groupie. After all I have heard many times the old cliche of "The greatest achievement Satan ever pulled was convincing people he did not exist". Seems god is trying to get a bit of that action by plagiarising Satan's idea. As this god seems to be doing a great job of appearing not to exist too.

Quote:
A 'proof' that FORCES you to believe/obey is tantamount to making you a slave - this is never any part of Gods plan and opposite of it.
That is just marketing for nonsense really. A linguistic trick to sell the idea of turning off your critical faculties in order to stop noticing that the product you are being sold is all guff and no stuff.

Truth does not make one a slave. Evidence of truth even less so. Evidence and proof always forces me to believe fact - because when there is evidence to believe a claim is true then I am helplessly compelled to belief in the fact of that evidence.

Evidence that shows a god exists would be no more making me a slave than evidence that water is made up of oxygen and hydrogen. Fact is not a slave master. What we do with facts - or what some people do to deny them - can be however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism