Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 02:29 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,819,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post

I would buy that book....
I'd certainly want to read it. " A philosophical Thriller" (Bookbuyer) "Sartre meets Mike Hammer" (Booklist)

"A book of the kind upon which cults are based", (Beekeepers' monthly review)

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-08-2018 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 02:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,803,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's a lot more Entertaining than mine... No, it was set in in the 1st c. shortly after the Events. The Nubian guy (whose dad switched from the Ptolemys to the Romans after they took over) joined the Roman cavalry got transferred to training Gauls to do cavalry drill. Caught the attention of Caligula who put him in Praetorians where after a bit of hassle (not because he was black but because he was new) he became, under Claudius, primus Pilus and served in the Britain campaign. Wounded in action and seconded to intelligence work. And that's where the story really starts. After trouble on behalf of Chrestus, Claudius wanted to find out the facts about these Christians and their "Crucified sage" so he's packed off to the Roman east where at a camp of the 10th Fretensis he watched the troops exercising and was astonished to see a squadron of Sarmatian cataphracts take out an entire battalion of practice dummies. He's even more astonished when they turn out to be all female (the cataphracts, not the dunmmies)

After training with them and swapping some cavalry tricks ("I could never get the hang of charging the target. I came off every time. "You have to lean back to deliver the hit." explained Amyssia. "You have to believe that you can do it.") he dines with them and talks to the commander (Amyssia) about his mission. She's intrigued, because up in Edessa, some Christians showed her the Shroud that the disciples had taken there (yep, the theory of the Edessa shroud getting to France by way of Byzantium and the Templars was popular at the time) So they set off for Judea tracing the gospels (which they pick up separately in various libraries and work it all out [the Boring bit]) before getting to Jerusalem .. and so on ...It's pretty dull reading.
Female heavy cavalry, what a delicious idea. I don't suppose there were any IRL?

Does your plot include Zoroastrianism? A lot of attention gets paid to Saul/Paul's tailoring of jewish christianity to appeal to pagans, as described in the NT. But I agree with those who think that Zoroastrianism also figured in the mix, although the NT is entirely silent about this.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:42 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,199,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'd certainly want read it. " A philosophical Thriller" (Bookbuyer) "Sartre meets Mike Hammer" (Booklist)

"A book of the kind upon which cults are based", (Beekeepers' monthly review)
Hey, I'll come to you when I need a blurb for the dustjacket. On the back will be the picture of me in some rustic, rural setting with my spaniel in the background, puffing thoughtfully on my pipe and staring off into some gloriously imaginative future. Below that will be all the...

"I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me."

"A roller coaster of emotions, it grabbed me with its mysterious and intriguing beginning, and wouldn't let go until its shattering climax."

stuff....and your blurb will be in there among them.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Female heavy cavalry, what a delicious idea. I don't suppose there were any IRL?

Does your plot include Zoroastrianism? A lot of attention gets paid to Saul/Paul's tailoring of jewish Christianity to appeal to pagans, as described in the NT. But I agree with those who think that Zoroastrianism also figured in the mix, although the NT is entirely silent about this.
No. Just a remark of the Susa gate of the temple signifying how they loved Persia for freeing them in Babylon. The main point is being in Jerusalem for the feast of tabernacles - Amyssia (who has chummed up with a perfume maker in the south of the city when she went into the court of the woman and almost was arrested when she marched in and they thought it was a man in disguise. "I pressed his hand to my bosom. and he ran like a hare" she laughed,) has Marsyas build the tabernacle on the old lady's roof - they see a Hoshana procession on its' way to the Temple, And "It was straight out of the Gospels" he thinks.

And I think I'm off topic. I though I was in 'Chat about anything'.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:15 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,083,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
By coincidence, I am currently reading Steven Saylor's "The Throne of Caesar ", which is the 15th novel in his Roma Sub Rosa series featuring Gordiamus The Finder as a detective in ancient Rome. I obviously love the series since I have read them all. I have also read all 20 of Lindsey Davis' similar series featuring her Roman detective Marcus Didius Falco. (Ms. Davis has ended that series and started a new one featuring Falco's daughter as a detective....haven't read any of those yet.)

Both series are tremendously entertaining ways to learn more about the Roman empire, though I would rank Saylor's series as the superior of the two.
The Falco series went to 20 novels? I remember reading many of them years ago, and they were pretty good. But there were only 6 or 7 back then. I have also read many of the Saylor books, and liked them a# well.

If you want to learn about Rome through novelized fiction, try Colleen Mccullough’s Masters of Rome series. Excellent series spanning the rise of Maruous, through Sulla, and ultimately Julius and Augustus Caesar.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:02 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,199,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
The Falco series went to 20 novels? I remember reading many of them years ago, and they were pretty good. But there were only 6 or 7 back then. I have also read many of the Saylor books, and liked them a# well.

If you want to learn about Rome through novelized fiction, try Colleen Mccullough’s Masters of Rome series. Excellent series spanning the rise of Maruous, through Sulla, and ultimately Julius and Augustus Caesar.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:04 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,803,195 times
Quote:

And if you've never watched it, check out the the TV series Rome. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_(TV_series)

Great fun. NSFW - or kids.

Very interesting to watch this in conjunction with I, Claudius.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:

I liked those, to, and the one with an amateur detective who did mosaics in Roman Britain.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:47 AM

1,402 posts, read 479,943 times
I don't want to drift off topic, but as long as we're sharing book series.....

MATTHEW SHARDLAKE is a hunchbacked lawyer during the reign of Henry VIII, and very good at solving mysteries. Authored by CJ Sansom.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shardlake_series

Old 11-09-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Hey, I'll come to you when I need a blurb for the dustjacket. On the back will be the picture of me in some rustic, rural setting with my spaniel in the background, puffing thoughtfully on my pipe and staring off into some gloriously imaginative future. Below that will be all the...

"I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me."

"A roller coaster of emotions, it grabbed me with its mysterious and intriguing beginning, and wouldn't let go until its shattering climax."

stuff....and your blurb will be in there among them.
I can visualise it already - Mono photo, please...I already know the blurb for mine "Once i had put it down, I could not pick it up again".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Does your plot include Zoroastrianism? A lot of attention gets paid to Saul/Paul's tailoring of jewish christianity to appeal to pagans, as described in the NT. But I agree with those who think that Zoroastrianism also figured in the mix, although the NT is entirely silent about this.
Sorry, what's IRL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
I don't want to drift off topic, but as long as we're sharing book series.....

MATTHEW SHARDLAKE is a hunchbacked lawyer during the reign of Henry VIII, and very good at solving mysteries. Authored by CJ Sansom.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shardlake_series
Nor do I...I can hear the Approaching Vengeful Tread of a Mod but I liked the series of a Mystery solver under Elizabet 1 and then James.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-09-2018 at 02:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism