Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 01:55 PM

50,846 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

The Freedom From Religion Foundation is proposing to replace the annual Day Of Prayer with a Day Of Reason. H.R. bill 947 would designate May 7 a “National Day of Reason” and recognize the “central importance of reason in the betterment of humanity.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 02:32 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
What are we supposed to do on this day? Sit around being rational?

I don't think imitating the faithful by demanding a counter holiday is going to amount to much. None of us devote the Day of Prayer to praying, do we? I don't see the theists deciding to utilize the Day of Reason to examine their faith based beliefs.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

I don't think imitating the faithful by demanding a counter holiday is going to amount to much. None of us devote the Day of Prayer to praying, do we? I don't see the theists deciding to utilize the Day of Reason to examine their faith based beliefs.
I would say they are "making a point".

And, considering how that last prayer day went...total disaster.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:22 PM

1,456 posts, read 516,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Have a parade.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:00 PM

15,979 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The Freedom From Religion Foundation is proposing to replace the annual Day Of Prayer with a Day Of Reason. H.R. bill 947 would designate May 7 a “National Day of Reason” and recognize the “central importance of reason in the betterment of humanity.”

Why not just abolish Day of Prayer?
I was not even aware such a thing exists.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:09 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,607,249 times
Quote:
Time for another $1k donation to FFRF.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:33 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
lets see ... they have a day of prayer and we want a day to do what? mediate on reason?

add it to the list. the duck list.

I don't know the exact number ... its like 14 I think

14) A day devoted to our statement of belief about god.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Time for another $1k donation to FFRF.
oh, and we give our tithes because we want to.

to the list it goes.

15) Do we donate to causes directly expressing our statement of belief about god.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:42 PM

if it looks like a duck and it walks like a duck ... it aint a pigon.

1) do we have a base "faith" statement? It has no observational data to make such a claim.

2) meet with like minded people to discuss and talk about the clarity logic and reason we have?

3) Do the individuals claim "this is not a religion" I see many religions claim this.

4) do we have people running about leading "meetings" or are appointed atheist sages?

5) do we have fundamentalist that completely screw the pooch in presenting atheistic views as a valid choice? Indeed the only logical truth? literally?

6) do we want all other religions "removed" because "they are bad and we are truly good"?

7) Do we need a Chaplin in the army.

8) do we want buildings for teaching the good news of atheism?

9) do we ignore observation that counter our views to maintain the integrity of our personal view?

10) Ignore the validity of a "good rule" just because a theist said it? Do we openly reject people that do not support "exactly" what we want ...

11) claim to have real truth, logic, and understanding?

12) Use our belief in trying to influences "state laws" based on our base belief statement?

13) personal emotional observations is all we need to self verify our stance. Ignore science and the universe to maintain the statement of belief about god.

14) A day devoted to our statement of belief about god.

15) Do we donate "tithe" to causes directly expressing our statement of belief about god.

no ba jesus Christ, if I can do this, so can they people.

how do we get around it?

Old 05-06-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Why not just abolish Day of Prayer?
I was not even aware such a thing exists.
Oh yes, and there's quite a big public display of it where prominent governmental officials attend and participate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism