Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2020, 09:46 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,360,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I just want to emphasize the word used in his executive order: exterminated.

I had actually been reading about this historical disgrace just a few weeks ago. Shocking in a country that supposedly believes in freedom of religion.
Are you judging the 1838 world with 2020 criteria? That is presentism!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 10:58 AM

50,960 posts, read 24,459,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Are you judging the 1838 world with 2020 criteria? That is presentism!
Are you saying that an American governor was appropriate in ordering the possible extermination of Mormons?

Do you actually think before you write some of these posts?

Could you tell us what decade of American history that extermination of a religious group was appropriate?

Old 12-22-2020, 11:01 AM

28,114 posts, read 30,027,869 times
Quote:
I just want to emphasize the word used in his executive order: exterminated.

I had actually been reading about this historical disgrace just a few weeks ago. Shocking in a country that supposedly believes in freedom of religion.
What's truly shocking is that this "Extermination Order" was not officially lifted until 1976. That's 1976, not 1876. People will say, "Well, sure, but it wasn't really being enforced all that time." That's irrelevant. The fact that the order existed and that thousands of people had to free Missouri to avoid being "exterminated" is disgusting.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:04 AM

16,813 posts, read 5,014,859 times
Quote:
Here is an example of the religion I am talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdX6aVzPgHs

Here is an atheist praying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDd6rw2oq0

Humans are simply replacing a deity based religion for a non-deity based religion.
So replacing religion with something like philosophy makes philosophy a religion because you say so?

Old 12-22-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So replacing religion with something like philosophy makes philosophy a religion because you say so?
Nope!

That atheist saying an atheist prayer at a public government function is a pseudo-religious zealot. Just watch him pray.

Those white people praying on their knees to black people are practicing a bizarre pseudo-religion too. All you have to do is watch.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:12 AM

63,929 posts, read 40,202,188 times
Quote:
Could you just try to actually think and understand the posts you are responding to, Harry. Your inferences are an embarrassment to your intellect. When you respond "religiously" to a cause, you make of it a pseudo-religion, NOT a religion! What about that do you not understand?

Old 12-22-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
First, you are a lousy interpreter of the motives of other posters. Your mind is too closed and rigid to objectively assess anyone else.
Another worthless opinion. He fits the pattern of angry agnostic, and his method is obvious. That you can not see this is not my problem.

Quote:
Second, a poster's motivation for posting in no way affects the truth or falsity of their post.
Mein gute Gott, you have something correct for a change.

Quote:
When people respond and act religiously toward any cause, they are treating it as a pseudoreligion.
Dictionaries, how do they work?

Old 12-22-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Are you saying that an American governor was appropriate in ordering the possible extermination of Mormons?

Do you actually think before you write some of these posts?

Could you tell us what decade of American history that extermination of a religious group was appropriate?
Nice straw man.

All i am saying is that people that lived in the early 19th century were not as enlightened as people in 2020. There was a lot of ignorance in that era.

Presentism is a flawed way to study history Phet. We can all agree it was wrong, But, the analysis should be done in a more academic manner within the context of the era.

When I was a kid in school corporal punishment was not a big deal. Now it is not the norm.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
The problem with your statement is that the atheist is the one that decides whether he is treated as a real American or not.
I believe 6 million German Jews would disagree about this.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I believe 6 million German Jews would disagree about this.
I don't think you get the point. The murder of the Jews is clearly verifiable by simple observation.

Let's try this:

Imagine you say the sky is colorless and for cultural reason I am deeply offended and angry at you. What would you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism