Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2020, 08:58 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,352,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I guess as long as you get responses to your schtick, you'll keep excreting it.
I suggest you do not post if you have no ammunition to make a credible statement.
Take care Dude!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 09:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,210,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I suggest you do not post if you have no ammunition to make a credible statement.
Take care Dude!

Old 12-21-2020, 10:04 PM

2,962 posts, read 865,829 times
Quote:
Take care Dude!
His chamber is empty. My nickname for him is Mr. Nothingofsubstance.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times
I may have mentioned this before, but the topic is the nature of God. But yet again it has become a thread for the Usual Suspects to do some atheist -bashing. Just sayin'.

Old 12-22-2020, 04:48 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,599,441 times
Talking about the nature of god requires us to talk about evidence for a belief. And we know where that ends ... time outs.

And it is not atheist bashing. It is type of atheist bashing. Its basically saying fundy-think-types are the problem on both sides. they force us into binary answers, avoid evidence, and we can't talk about modifying the god claim to talk about anything but the deities of their choice.

Some of us feel that is exactly what some religious people do ... "religionist-type" people have beliefs that match a two and a half legged stool. weather its deny-everything or my-god-only isn't really the issue.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The part you put in bold (The problem with your statement is that the atheist is the one that decides whether he is treated as a real American or not. ) is obviously not true.

When an atheist objects to a public body performing Christian rituals, he is highly likely to be told that this is a Christian nation and if he doesn't like it he can just leave and go somewhere that isn't a Christian nation. Obviously, that is not the fault of the atheist. These people are routinely told they aren't "real" Americans because they aren't Christians.

This has happened over Christian prayers at city council meetings, football coaches gathering all the players together for prayer, schools distributing gift packs with religious messages inside, and religious exhibits on public property placed their by elected officials.

If you are interested in how Christians object to the enforcement of the 1st Amendment, go follow the Freedom From Religion Foundation on Facebook. Every week they publish the mail they receive, calling it "CrankMail." Most weeks they get at least one thoroughly profane cussing from a Christian.
Is activism as the primary goal fit a religious and spirituality forum. Does activism using a religion and spirituality forum as a method to achieve the social end game promote an unbias and reliable method to discuss the best truths we have in spirituality and religion.

Can activism actually stunt the growth of people not suspecting that we are here for activism when they are just seeking some truths to fit their spirituality.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
I call him ... understandsmorethanmostofus.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:36 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,352,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
It is always safe when the chamber is empty. No risk of accidents.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:25 AM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
The problem with your statement is that the atheist is the one that decides whether he is treated as a real American or not. This is highly subjective and a very steep slippery slope. IN the same manner Mormons, Jews, Agnostics, Evangelicals, + may feel they are treated less than American.

Obviously this has been hashed out already and as expected there are unhappy campers.

But, what remains disturbing about your post is that you feel the ultimate word is with the offended party.
In 1838, Missouri Governor, Lilburn Boggs, put out an official order proclaiming that "the Mormons must be treated as enemies and must be exterminated or driven from the state, if necessary for the public good." The Mormons living in Missouri at that time were law-abiding citizens. Roughly a decade later, they when living in the town of Nauvoo, which they'd built from nothing, on the banks of the Mississippi River, they were again driven from their homes, this time in the dead of winter. When U.S. citizens are literally expelled from the country for no other reason than their religious beliefs, that persecution is in no way "subjective."

Old 12-22-2020, 09:33 AM

50,891 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
In 1838, Missouri Governor, Lilburn Boggs, put out an official order proclaiming that "the Mormons must be treated as enemies and must be exterminated or driven from the state, if necessary for the public good." The Mormons living in Missouri at that time were law-abiding citizens. Roughly a decade later, they when living in the town of Nauvoo, which they'd built from nothing, on the banks of the Mississippi River, they were again driven from their homes, this time in the dead of winter. When U.S. citizens are literally expelled from the country for no other reason than their religious beliefs, that persecution is in no way "subjective."
I just want to emphasize the word used in his executive order: exterminated.

I had actually been reading about this historical disgrace just a few weeks ago. Shocking in a country that supposedly believes in freedom of religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism