Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2020, 10:48 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
nope ... I never said that. I don't have to and I don't believe you have to either. I don't think most atheist have any trouble in believing in [things]. I think some people have to argue against another side to reassure themselves more than arguing the point. I said I think some atheist do that.

Most atheist have zero to little concern about questioning them.
I believe you. It must have been someone else. Honestly, I was kind of hoping someone would have some convincing evidence but if anything, talking to people for their belief reasons had cleared up any lingering maybes. I can see how certain things could be convincing to someone else but it's not to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 10:57 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I believe you. It must have been someone else. Honestly, I was kind of hoping someone would have some convincing evidence but if anything, talking to people for their belief reasons had cleared up any lingering maybes. I can see how certain things could be convincing to someone else but it's not to me.
Do atheist have a yearning to believe in the real thing? Is that why they are atheists? Obviously God cannot be proven. Why do they need proof? As for me it is a moot point. I have no special desire to believe.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:09 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Do atheist have a yearning to believe in the real thing? Is that why they are atheists? Obviously God cannot be proven. Why do they need proof? As for me it is a moot point. I have no special desire to believe.
yupperz. I have no special need to quell every belief that comes if its plausible and or more likely than denying it. I have no desire or need to do that.

people? that have to obscure some facts to maintain their world? I do worry about them. what they believe is a distant second to that.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:36 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Default ^ironic truth

Quote:
Do atheist have a yearning to believe in the real thing? Is that why they are atheists?
That would depend on the atheist. Some simply do not believe religious claims. For others, it is a conclusion from their studies of the natural world, the sort of people who also post in the science section.

Quote:
Obviously God cannot be proven. Why do they need proof? As for me it is a moot point. I have no special desire to believe.
Theists keep claiming they have evidence, so we ask for it. It would be nice to hear new arguments instead of the usual obscuring of facts, denying facts, pretending they have facts (often using jargon they do not understand), and the usual logical fallacies for answers.

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 12-19-2020 at 12:06 PM..

Old 12-19-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
its definitely possible that a post read that way. Although my writing skills make that seem like an impossibility.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:43 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
I don't know about anyone else. I think of it more along the lines of a bias. I struggled greatly with the concept of fairness. When I hear about something bad happening, especially to a child, I would love to feel some grand creator was going to make that right for the person.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
yupperz. I have no special need to quell every belief that comes if its plausible and or more likely than denying it. I have no desire or need to do that.

people? that have to obscure some facts to maintain their world? I do worry about them. what they believe is a distant second to that.
When I discovered there was no Jesus I was OK. Later when I got married I had the traditional Catholic wedding and sent all my kids to Catholic school for 12 years. I even attend mass to keep my wife happy. This was not a big deal to me. I say this because I run into many atheists that were ardent believers and took them decades to figure it out. Then they became staunch atheists. That tells me they are looking for a cause.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else. I think of it more along the lines of a bias. I struggled greatly with the concept of fairness. When I hear about something bad happening, especially to a child, I would love to feel some grand creator was going to make that right for the person.
yeah, same, but then it gets back to who is actually in front of us (as opposed to something that is not there) stopping us from making children more safe.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Yep. you are high on empathy and open to experience. You probably found something else to replace your religion, probably a good cause that is palpable and easy to see.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
yeah, same, but then it gets back to who is actually in front of us (as opposed to something that is not there) stopping us from making children more safe.
One has to take a test and be certified to do many things in this life (like driving a car). However, there is no certification needed for creating a baby. The kids born of great parents win the lottery and the kids with crappy parents or usually just one crappy parent are screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism