Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2021, 01:35 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,336,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Did you read what happened that sparked this whole elevator thing?
If it happened a few years ago then I did but don't remember the issues. I still stand that every woman should be heard. Nobody should ever be brushed off with others had it worse, no matter what the issue is.

If I remember correctly the situation was handled poorly or wrongly, I admit that 8 don't know eought details to make a decision and misunderstood what Dawkins said about a drunk woman not being allowed to testify,

Judging your responses to my posts I think there is a miscommunication problem here. If the fault is on me, I apologize to you and the readers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I expected more people to be against this. I was wondering if they are aware of what was actually said before they dismissed it as nothing.

My friend didn't do anything wrong. We were all just sitting there as a group. There was no need to think any of us were in danger. If they had been there to murder someone instead of rape someone it would have been the same. Criminals stalk their prey and look for opportunities.
My mistake, I thought that he was part of the planning.

As a man I fully do not understand the sexism and assults that women face in the world,

On the other hand as a man I do not understand having sex with a non consenting partner. Sexual predators are beyond my ken.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:43 PM

15,895 posts, read 6,357,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
If it happened a few years ago then I did but don't remember the issues. I still stand that every woman should be heard. Nobody should ever be brushed off with others had it worse, no matter what the issue is.

If I remember correctly the situation was handled poorly or wrongly, I admit that 8 don't know eought details to make a decision and misunderstood what Dawkins said about a drunk woman not being allowed to testify,

Judging your responses to my posts I think there is a miscommunication problem here. If the fault is on me, I apologize to you and the readers.
This is what I'm referencing.

Quote:
This is a quote from Dawkins. Read it, agree or disagree, then you can hear my experience and decide if this is a problem or not.

Exactly. If you want to drive, don't get drunk. If you want to be in a position to testify & jail a man, don't get drunk.
https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/s...56024169447424
Quote:
I found it here. She simply related what happened and that it creeped her out and asked men not to do that. She wasn't whiney in the least as Dawkins accused her of. You can read his response where he completely invalidates not only what she is saying but her right to say it.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/elevatorgate

Old 03-01-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
This is what I'm referencing.
Unfortunately the way I read Dawkins he might be right. If a woman is druno at the tone she is rapped her testimony may not be as fully accepted by the judge or jury that is do was sober and hence less chance of a conviction and therefore a prison sentence.

To be clear I am not claiming I am reading Dawkins correctly and I certainly do not think that the testimony of a drunk should count for anything less because she was drunk but that is how I interpreted his statement. Obviously if we intreperate his comment in two different ways we will not be able to agree. If follow up by him shows you are correct then he was totally wrong, if it shows I was correct then he was regrettably right.

I do believe that we do have the basic stand, rape is wrong and never the fault of the victim. And the advice to all sins and every man is Do not get a woman drunk so you can rape her.

Last edited by badlander; 03-01-2021 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-01-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Unfortunately the way I read Dawkins he might be right. If a woman is druno at the tone she is rapped her testimony may not be as fully accepted by the judge or jury that is do was sober and hence less chance of a conviction and therefore a prison sentence.

To be clear I am not claiming I am reading Dawkins correctly and I certainly do not think that the testimony of a drunk should count for anything less because she was drunk but that is how I interpreted his statement. Obviously if we intreperate his comment in two different ways we will not be able to agree. If follow up by him shows you are correct then he was totally wrong, if it shows I was correct then he was regrettably right.

I do believe that we do have the basic stand, rape is wrong and never the fault of the victim. And the advice to all sins and every man is Do not get a woman drunk so you can rape her.
There is another standard which I think its part of the problem ( not necessarily you or just you). I see its in the "what was she wearing?" "You should be able to walk naked and not be raped." The problem is that rapist rape women. Its not some temptation thing where a good guys is pushed beyond what we should expect of him. Rape is about control. Silencing victims is about control.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 03-01-2021 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: mysterious extra quotes keep showing up

Old 03-01-2021, 03:36 PM

Im so glad I was able to get away. I know how things are and if I had been passed out and unable to defend myself I would have been perceived as some drunken **** that just wanted to cheat on her husband. Luckily the end of my drinking career was spent on my couch and that didn't happen. The recovery site I use a lot of women have been the target of criminals and that how they were treated. Most knew that if they went forward that is what would happen to them so they didn't. When Dawkins said that he was speaking to every one of them.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 03-01-2021 at 03:56 PM..

Old 03-01-2021, 05:46 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,608,849 times
I am glad you made it out safe.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I am glad you made it out safe.
Thank you. Me too...get it. I think many women are too traumatized to talk about it. I think the fact that I escaped and wasn't traumatized makes me able to talk about it.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:08 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,608,849 times
I hate to do this. But its one of the premises of everything I post. How would a person that didn't get away talk about this topic? Of the accusations of men in power? When they say that "drunk women shouldn't testify." How will they react?

Old 03-01-2021, 07:55 PM

16,041 posts, read 7,070,464 times
Quote:
Thank you. Me too...get it. I think many women are too traumatized to talk about it. I think the fact that I escaped and wasn't traumatized makes me able to talk about it.
I cant speak to it, i have not experienced what you have. I can only imagine being there in your place. I am glad for you, that you had the presence of mind to do what you did and your courage to talk about it.
It is a fact that per the laws prevailing in in Pakistan a woman who complains of rape would be charged with adultery and fornication and jailed if she cannot produce witnesses, 3 of them. That law was repealed and replaced with womens protection laws against rape and honor killing, much of it due to the effort of Pakistani women activists such as Asma Jahangir, a lawyer who was murdered.
Women who are raped are not treated that much better in the US. If you don't get justice, does it matter where you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism