Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2021, 01:31 PM

16,107 posts, read 7,107,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Hardly a manufactured concern. We have been fighting the imposition ever since the Sunday Blue Laws. The desire of the theocrats is ever-present. Abortion is just the current concern.
Fighting blue laws? Where? Where are you fighting this? And when did you turn to atheism from whatever it was that you were selling before? Or is this a reversal to you original state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 01:41 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,660,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I googled Matt Shea, and agree on your description of him. Democracy is messy and sometimes, yeah we get Trumped. But it is the best we have got.
We also have a right to free speech, which i think is misused and becomes merely hate speech. But I still would not want Americans to lose that right.
As for prayer at council meetings, one is not required to say it so how is that an imposition?
A secular society only means the state does not sponsor any religion. It provides for freedom to practice any religion, or no religion. My right to practice my religion does not supersede yours, nor does your wish to practice no-religion.
How is it an imposition to attend a city council meeting and have it open with a religious prayer? Not all citizens are members of that religion, no matter which religion it is. Why not just keep the religion out of government and in private life, where it belongs?

Old 04-17-2021, 02:00 PM

51,026 posts, read 24,528,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
How is it an imposition to attend a city council meeting and have it open with a religious prayer? Not all citizens are members of that religion, no matter which religion it is. Why not just keep the religion out of government and in private life, where it belongs?
Exactly. I had to put up with it at our HOA meetings.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Exactly. I had to put up with it at our HOA meetings.
I'd have been tempted to insist that I be allowed to read a Bible passage, and then read Matthew 6:5.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:22 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,630,557 times
Quote:
Fighting blue laws? Where? Where are you fighting this? And when did you turn to atheism from whatever it was that you were selling before? Or is this a reversal to you original state?
Its simple CB. When we can state laws without the word "god said so" they are generally more reliable than those laws that can't be stated as such.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Because a secular state only means there will be no state sponsored religion. It also means respect for all religions equally. We also have freedom to practice religion. We do a lot of private things in public such as kiss and hold hands that normally belongs in private. We just cant get naked, that will be a no no.
Religion is an important part of life for many. Just as sexual orientation is for many.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:39 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,630,557 times
Quote:
Because a secular state only means there will be no state sponsored religion. It also means respect for all religions equally. We also have freedom to practice religion. We do a lot of private things in public such as kiss and hold hands that normally belongs in private. We just cant get naked, that will be a no no.
Religion is an important part of life for many. Just as sexual orientation is for many.
That is really all that s being asked.

Religion should be as powerful as the local youth Lacrosse league.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
So it's OK for a local government to sponsor a religion?

Old 04-17-2021, 02:44 PM

51,026 posts, read 24,528,151 times
Quote:
That's a ramble, not an answer.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
So it's OK for a local government to sponsor a religion?
Well if i went to my town meeting and wanted to say an atheist prayer, i bet they will let me do it. Or a muslim prayer. Equal respect, not no respect for religion. In any case, isnt it true that Atheists only have no god-belief but they have nothing against religion? I bet i have heard this said many times. I find it terribly confusing but apparently it is so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism