Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2021, 06:05 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I think you have to consider Arach's post on a broader and less formal scale, like an Atheist/Agnostic version of "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy". Blending empirical observation/evidence with the unseen/unknown to better come to terms with the spiritual. One could view the method along the lines of "yin and yang" in eastern thought/philosophy, tree branches not being able to exist without the negative space or void around them.

All of one or the other would either be all negative space (nothingness) or solid tree wood everywhere with no void/empty space. Could one even imagine the latter...
I am not even that broad.

I only really look at claims in terms of a mechanism, repeatable predictions, and how consistent with observations they are.

claims that have them are more reliable than those that don;t.

But, I will say, why is there a need to avoid discussing how we describe the system around us? Staring off with the best descriptors we have to form a belief is welcome by most atheist. what about avoiding that is spiritual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
Why, exactly, do you believe that? You are making a claim. So give me some reasons to believe your claim? Specific, detailed reasons.

Also it would help if you clarify whether you are using science to determine your belief, or not.
I follow the rules. If you want me to discuss what I use to support my claims I will need immunity to do so.

But you will be required to bring more than "I don't believe you" (aka: Lack belief). I can go to a theist site for that.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:12 PM

884 posts, read 357,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I follow the rules. If you want me to discuss what I use to support my claims I will need immunity to do so.

But you will be required to more than "I don't believe you". I can go to a theist site for that.
Look this is a waste of my time.

Me: Give me a detailed and specific breakdown of your claims, and I will give a detailed response
You: I can't on this forum, it is against the rules.
Me: Well then I have a solution - let's discuss it on the science forum
You: No I won't

I'll happily discuss it with you in detail wherever in whichever forum allows the discussion to happen.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:17 PM

50,874 posts, read 24,371,727 times
This thread, which I started, is not about science. I think a couple of you need to go back and reread the OP to see what the thread is actually about (don't be misled just because the word "science" may be in the OP...science is not the topic).

Old 07-02-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Look this is a waste of my time.

Me: Give me a detailed and specific breakdown of your claims, and I will give a detailed response
You: I can't on this forum, it is against the rules.
Me: Well then I have a solution - let's discuss it on the science forum
You: No I won't

I'll happily discuss it with you in detail wherever in whichever forum allows the discussion to happen.
yes ... I have demonstrated my point using you.

I have offered you opportunity to show if you really are interested in how a belief can be supported by evidence.

You avoided it. I just do not know if its intentional or you are just can't.

Telling me to go somewhere else to talk about what I believe in is not a solution. Its a cop out. I know what they they say about my belief. You do not. That in of itself tells me a lot.

That fact that you do not want to even try and learn about it tells me what exactly?

Old 07-02-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This thread, which I started, is not about science. I think a couple of you need to go back and reread the OP to see what the thread is actually about (don't be misled just because the word "science" may be in the OP...science is not the topic).
yadda yadda yadda ...

lay out a specifically worded thread title ... to promote attack religion. And keep everybody to the literal title.

Religionist thinking at its best. Sounds exactly like a bible thumper to me.

atheist thought is using evidence, commonsense, and reason to form a belief. Atheist thought is not limiting all discussions to fight religion, no deity, and we don't have to say anything only. Atheism is better than that.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 07-02-2021 at 06:39 PM..

Old 07-02-2021, 07:07 PM

884 posts, read 357,665 times
Quote:
yes ... I have demonstrated my point using you.

I have offered you opportunity to show if you really are interested in how a belief can be supported by evidence.

You avoided it. I just do not know if its intentional or you are just can't.

Telling me to go somewhere else to talk about what I believe in is not a solution. Its a cop out. I know what they they say about my belief. You do not. That in of itself tells me a lot.

That fact that you do not want to even try and learn about it tells me what exactly?
Are you too lacking in reading comprehension?

I did not avoid it. I asked you to write out your claim in detail and with specifics, and then promised to reply in detail with specifics. That is the opposite of avoiding it.

You refuse - because you say that you can't because of rules in this forum.

I suggest the science forum.

You refuse (who knows for what reason - maybe you know your ideas don't hold up to science scrutiny?).

I say I'll discuss it in any forum you want - as long as you give me your views in detail and specifically.

You refuse.

I think I'll leave it to other reader to make up their own mind who is trying to have a detailed discussion, and who is refusing a discussion. Just for those who struggle with reading comprehension:

I will happily have a detailed discussion if you give me your views specifically and in detail. I'm happy to do so anywhere you choose.

Old 07-02-2021, 07:13 PM

16,684 posts, read 15,693,414 times
Quote:
yadda yadda yadda ...

lay out a specifically worded thread title ... to promote attack religion. And keep everybody to the literal title.

Religionist thinking at its best. Sounds exactly like a bible thumper to me.

atheist thought is using evidence, commonsense, and reason to form a belief. Atheist thought is not limiting all discussions to fight religion, no deity, and we don't have to say anything only. Atheism is better than that.
I wen back and reread the Opening Post. It is not attacking religion. Find another dead horse to beat on.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Are you too lacking in reading comprehension?

I did not avoid it. I asked you to write out your claim in detail and with specifics, and then promised to reply in detail with specifics. That is the opposite of avoiding it.

You refuse - because you say that you can't because of rules in this forum.

I suggest the science forum.

You refuse (who knows for what reason - maybe you know your ideas don't hold up to science scrutiny?).

I say I'll discuss it in any forum you want - as long as you give me your views in detail and specifically.

You refuse.

I think I'll leave it to other reader to make up their own mind who is trying to have a detailed discussion, and who is refusing a discussion. Just for those who struggle with reading comprehension:

I will happily have a detailed discussion if you give me your views specifically and in detail. I'm happy to do so anywhere you choose.
You and I both know, at this point, it is over pete. I proved my point.

Extraordinary steps are taken to avoid a spiritual belief that have some merit in a forum about said beliefs.

The real question is why avoid it?
Why lie and say I refuse when I clearly did not refuse.
why tell people to go somewhere for a belief (directly related to spirituality) when we are in a belief forum about spirituality
Why try and insult me when I didn't try to insult you at all. At first. But now I see you do not care about actual beliefs.

To me, atheism is strong enough to stand on its own legs out in the open. Using all data. Atheist that cower down to militants are just as culpable as theist that "just get out of the way" of their fundy theist. Far to many incent people are hurt.

Yes, you have to avoid the actual claim and its evidence in this forum. So when you say "I will believe when I see evidence", know that you selectively choose what beliefs based on something other than just seeing if the claim is consistent with observation.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 07-03-2021 at 04:39 AM..

Old 07-03-2021, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I wen back and reread the Opening Post. It is not attacking religion. Find another dead horse to beat on.
sir, the first post is just that, sir. Its about "them" ... not atheism.

Speaking of a dead horse. You went ghost on me again. As you usually do. You know, addressing how my belief is directly related to this forum. But your belief is that type don't get us anywhere. What type is that? A belief that has evidence.

Where is this place you feel we are not getting?

What is the extent of atheist thought about taking on claims with evidence? Atheist thought is that we can only address some spiritual claims? That some are off limits?

why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism