Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 05:13 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
sir, the first post is just that, sir. Its about "them" ... not atheism.

Speaking of a dead horse. You went ghost on me again. As you usually do. You know, addressing how my belief is directly related to this forum. But your belief is that type don't get us anywhere. What type is that? A belief that has evidence.

Where is this place you feel we are not getting?

What is the extent of atheist thought about taking on claims with evidence? Atheist thought is that we can only address some spiritual claims? That some are off limits?

why is that?
I have no idea what you are trying to say in this post. I'm nor ignoring anything, but I can't answer what I can't make sense of.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:23 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I have no idea what you are trying to say in this post. I'm nor ignoring anything, but I can't answer what I can't make sense of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 07:27 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
Are you too lacking in reading comprehension?

I did not avoid it. I asked you to write out your claim in detail and with specifics, and then promised to reply in detail with specifics. That is the opposite of avoiding it.

You refuse - because you say that you can't because of rules in this forum.

I suggest the science forum.

You refuse (who knows for what reason - maybe you know your ideas don't hold up to science scrutiny?).

As all you will get is evasion, excuses and misrepresentations, I will post this here (no DMs). Here is where I did discus the science before we were told to stop.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...at-you-12.html

Having read the few pages after the above, I think you will agree it is pointless trying to get an answer, and perhaps we can get back to the actual OP.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:43 AM

lmao ... you guys have no limits to what you will do.

I do.

1) All beliefs, all evidence, out in the open, and talked about honestly.

"take that belief somewhere else".
"That doesn't get us anywhere".
"We are only talking about a deity".
"I am here to stand up to religion."
"we don't have to say anything."
Anything else is a strawman"

That is a very limited and fear based extent of atheism thinking.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:38 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousoutsider View Post
Is there anywhere left in the world where speech is totally free?
Free Speech is a contract between you and government, and me and government.

Free Speech is not a contract between you and me. Where I'm concerned, you have no Free Speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousoutsider View Post
It's hard to separate religion and politics because one influences the other so much.
Which is the whole point of this thread.

The Trinity is not the Divine Pyromaniac, the Divine Pyromaniac Junior and the Holy Flatulence.

The Trinity is Jimi Hendrix, Terry Kath and Ernie Isley, the three most creative, inventive and innovative guitar players that ever lived.

This thread is about that difference, because I don't issue a Writ de Heretico Comburendo and torture people who refuse to accept my Trinity and then burn them to death when they don't.

I don't hale people before an ecclesiastical court and seize their property for failing to pay taxes to me to support my Trinity, which is what religion in the US did up until the 14th Amendment was passed.

I don't force students or people against their will to recite Oh Thank You Great Spirit as a prayer before class starts in school or in other social situations and then punish the students and people who refuse through ostracism, or levying a harsher grading standard on those students, or through other negative/harmful actions on the students and people who don't.

I don't disingenuously lobby governments at all levels to pass laws to acknowledge my Trinity in order to create some pseudo-legitimacy for my Trinity.

And, should those governments not acquiesce and pass the laws I want, I don't label them as godless commies trying to take away my religion.

I don't falsely promise people that if they're on they're best behavior, they'll get to sit in a beautiful place and watch Jimi Hendrix, Terry Kath and Ernie Isley perform for all eternity.

And, I don't move the goal posts say it's okay to murder 6 Million people, because as long as you accept the Trinity as your saviors, you'll get to sit in a beautiful place and watch the Trinity perform for all eternity.

Are you writing this down?

And you say religion doesn't do those things.

Yes, they do. They might not issue Writ de Heretico Comburendo and hale people before ecclesiastical courts, but they did not give those things up voluntarily....they were forced to give them up by Atheists.

The extent of Atheist thought is do no harm, and that includes religious people, but the reverse is not true. Religious thought is do no harm to people who think like us and slaughter those who don't/won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yadda yadda yadda ...

lay out a specifically worded thread title ... to promote attack religion.
Religion ought to be attacked for the same reason all false ideologies ought to be attacked.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

nipped for space ...

Religion ought to be attacked for the same reason all false ideologies ought to be attacked.
I would actually agree to that.

Fight it out.
In the open.
using all evidence.

As soon as we have to limit "education" to maintain the assault ... that's when its clear

they are not fighting for the same cause I am.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:27 PM

884 posts, read 357,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I think you have to consider Arach's post on a broader and less formal scale, like an Atheist/Agnostic version of "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy". Blending empirical observation/evidence with the unseen/unknown to better come to terms with the spiritual. One could view the method along the lines of "yin and yang" in eastern thought/philosophy, tree branches not being able to exist without the negative space or void around them.

All of one or the other would either be all negative space (nothingness) or solid tree wood everywhere with no void/empty space. Could one even imagine the latter...
That might make sense if they didn't write as if their views were backed by science. Take this sentence:

"I compared what we see to something we classify as non living, something in-between, and something living. The surface of our planet, it was my experience most people (mine ample set was science trained) would agree, it looks more like life than not life. When taken as a whole."

Sounds a lot like they are trying to make a science claim - though it is hard to tell what phrases like "mine ample set was science trained" mean.

Anyway, I am happy to discuss their views (science, belief, whatever) with them, as long as they write out their views in detail and specifically. Apparently that means I didn't want to discuss it with them, go figure.

I'm the one suggesting ways we can have the discussion. I'm happy to have it here, but it is against the rules - that is not my fault. I'm happy to have it in the science forum, but they don't want to - that is not my fault. I'm happy to have it anywhere. Instead of working with me to find a place we can have the discussion, they just lie about me not wanting to have the discussion.

Last edited by Peter600; 07-03-2021 at 04:50 PM..

Old 07-03-2021, 06:18 PM

50,839 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
That might make sense if they didn't write as if their views were backed by science. Take this sentence:

"I compared what we see to something we classify as non living, something in-between, and something living. The surface of our planet, it was my experience most people (mine ample set was science trained) would agree, it looks more like life than not life. When taken as a whole."

Sounds a lot like they are trying to make a science claim - though it is hard to tell what phrases like "mine ample set was science trained" mean.

Anyway, I am happy to discuss their views (science, belief, whatever) with them, as long as they write out their views in detail and specifically. Apparently that means I didn't want to discuss it with them, go figure.

I'm the one suggesting ways we can have the discussion. I'm happy to have it here, but it is against the rules - that is not my fault. I'm happy to have it in the science forum, but they don't want to - that is not my fault. I'm happy to have it anywhere. Instead of working with me to find a place we can have the discussion, they just lie about me not wanting to have the discussion.
We wallowed in pseudo-science on this forum for a very long time, and I'm glad the moderators instructed posters to take science to the science sub-forum. Otherwise, I share your frustration.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Actually that is not a science claim. We might want to start right there. I want to talk about a belief, about spirituality, in a spirituality forum about beliefs. Openly and honestly.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We wallowed in pseudo-science on this forum for a very long time, and I'm glad the moderators instructed posters to take science to the science sub-forum. Otherwise, I share your frustration.
It is not Pseudo science and to say it is, its a flat out lie by you. If you know jack, you know exactly what other science people say. Its an open debate. lmao ... and you run on about your two science degrees.

That's what make you dangerous. You will not stop. No matter what you stuff into your belly, it will never fill. You can ram 1000000 rep points down there, it won't change a thing. You will want to strike at more. And when there is nothing left, you will turn on your own. Oh wait ... when they can't strike at the perpetrator, they strike at anything around them. I forget who said that one.

revenge isn't a passion, its a disease.
Eats at your mind
poison's your soul.
~ I forget where I heard that.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 07-03-2021 at 08:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism