Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 03:59 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
...the God of the Bible is real, can be demonstrated to be the Creator of the Universe, with Jesus Christ being the Son of God ...
Please, then, demonstrate the proof for us. (I'm not holding my breath)

Quote:
... I encourage you to sometime in your life, take the initiative to really investigate Christ, his claims..
What makes you think we haven't?

Quote:
..the historical evidences for his ressurection, because theres too much at stake.
What historical evidences of the resurrection? The shroud of Turin? hahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 04:44 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Moderator cut:

Orphaned per Admin's Sticky

Again, thank you for your response. But death does not scare me. The 'afterlife' if there is one does not frighten me at all. I have THIS life and only THIS life to live. So do you. I have taken that initiative to 'find christ' but found that the path is wrought with lies and hypocrisy. There is no historical evidence (which you would think there would be, considering he rose from the dead and all) of the resurrection, and there is barely any evidence at all that Jesus existed as a person, much less the son of god.

There is nothing at stake because there is nothing after this life. If there is, and I happen to be wrong, do you think 'christ' and 'god' will reject me because I did not worship them/him? Or will they accept me because I was a good person during my life?

I'm willing to take that chance and live my life as if no god exists.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-26-2009 at 05:06 AM..

Old 08-25-2009, 06:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,899,648 times
Actually it occurred to me the other day it's interesting that Christians are all about heaven and the after life but there's not really any mention of the "before" life. I mean what do they say happens BEFORE you're born? Because as far as I can tell most atheists would be expecting the same thing at death as they experienced prior to birth, nothing....

Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 PM

382 posts, read 758,343 times
I'm definitely atheist, even though most of my family was raised Roman Catholic.

I need to be an atheist to be a free thinker, I don't tolerate when others try to say how should I think regarding a subject. I can make my own thinking without religion or God.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:47 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Actually it occurred to me the other day it's interesting that Christians are all about heaven and the after life but there's not really any mention of the "before" life. I mean what do they say happens BEFORE you're born? Because as far as I can tell most atheists would be expecting the same thing at death as they experienced prior to birth, nothing....
That's a very interesting point.

We are not supposed to be able to peer into our supposed afterlife but shurely we'd have some kind of memory of the former existence but we just seemed to have popped out of no-where, speaking of etrnal consciences.

Of course, I am aware of various claims of reincarnation memories. There was a fashion for them at one time. The thing is though that, if Buddha had that right, 'We' don't get reincarnated at all, because there is no soul. What does get reincarnated if karma and, so it seems, memories, which could give the illusion that 'we' had been reincarnated.

In that respect all that is eternal is the family album of memories handed on to someone who is, effectively, somebody else, though out of sheer ignorance they might think the pictures are themselves because they are in his head.

But I'm far from sure of the reliability of these supposed 'former life' memories stories anyway.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:33 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,097 times
what does "moderator cut" and "Orphaned" in red mean on the posts?????

Old 08-26-2009, 11:44 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,187 times
It means the moderator has removed some content because it doesn't meet the terms of service. When someone has quoted such content, the content is also removed and "orphaned quote" left in its place so you'll know that the poster isn't actually a lunatic talking to themself.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:15 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
It means the moderator has removed some content because it doesn't meet the terms of service. When someone has quoted such content, the content is also removed and "orphaned quote" left in its place so you'll know that the poster isn't actually a lunatic talking to themself.
Now I like that analogy......

Old 08-26-2009, 02:20 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,519,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
or just mad at God?....Discuss
are you really interrogating me. then i dis-cuss you, not god!

Old 08-26-2009, 04:10 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,502,780 times
Do you really disbelieve in Santa Clause.... or are you just mad at him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism