Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2020, 12:51 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
New Jersey is not in New England.

But we do have that same tradition!
Not in new England? How is that possible? That's like saying El Paso is not in former Spanish America. But I'm glad you keep up the Old Traditions like dipping Limeys, bringing stockings when you visit the UK, marrying our spare royalty, and a few others I won't go into.

I'll bear the Former Colonies in mind to visit when I need a rush of blood to the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
^^^
Haha. V funny.
I wonder if the Hindu one is covered in gold leaf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 07:20 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Not in new England? How is that possible? That's like saying El Paso is not in former Spanish America. But I'm glad you keep up the Old Traditions like dipping Limeys, bringing stockings when you visit the UK, marrying our spare royalty, and a few others I won't go into.

I'll bear the Former Colonies in mind to visit when I need a rush of blood to the head.

I wonder if the Hindu one is covered in gold leaf?
In the northeastern USA, there is a specific area/group of states known as New England. It consists of the states of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. New Jersey is solidly in the group of states known as the Middle Atlantic.

The New England States were very English in their origin with the exception of Vermont and Maine, which had heavy French influences (and both border Quebec). New York and the northern part of New Jersey, of course, were Dutch before they were English. Very south Jersey was settled early by Swedes.

Where I am now, in the central part of New Jersey, had more of an English influence, though (and a lot of Quakers). I noticed the difference when I moved here ten years ago from the northern part of the state where I had lived all my life. Fewer examples of Dutch sandstone houses, fewer Dutch place names.

I live in a county called Monmouth and a town named Shrewsbury, and there are two such towns. There were actually three Shrewsburys until the postal service got annoyed and made one of them change.

A mile and half from me is a pre-Revolutionary Episcopal (that is, former Church of England) parish church built on land purchased from the local indigenous people and established by the COE's The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. It boasts a Vinegar Bible and a silver communion set presented to the parish by Queen Anne. It also displays a piece of its original steeple with a musket ball embedded in it from the war. The SPG would be rolling over in their graves if they knew that the rector for the past twenty years has been a woman, and a divorced one at that.

Anyway, that particular church building is about as old as one gets in this part of the world. No comparison to a Westminster Abbey, of course, but it's the best we can do.

I'm of Dutch and English descent, a true Jersey girl. Most of the ancestors came from the Netherlands, but the Brit side came over in 1863 from Manchester, and my surname is a very common one in your country.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:33 AM

Really? I haven't checked the phone book but I only know of one "Queen" in the Uk. You probably have a lot more in the US and I guess you are no. 801 out of a couple of thousand?

P.s I was going to post the back cover Burb from my memoirs "The wonderful story of my fantastic life" (1) but I don't want to give ammunition to me many detractors. I'll be D. Mmming you.

(1) soon, like 'False witnesses', "The Jesus detectives" and my editions of the Judge Dee novels with all the plot errors taken out, not ever to be published.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Really? I haven't checked the phone book but I only know of one "Queen" in the Uk. You probably have a lot more in the US and I guess you are no. 801 out of a couple of thousand?

P.s I was going to post the back cover Burb from my memoirs "The wonderful story of my fantastic life" (1) but I don't want to give ammunition to me many detractors. I'll be D. Mmming you.

(1) soon, like 'False witnesses', "The Jesus detectives" and my editions of the Judge Dee novels with all the plot errors taken out, not ever to be published.
The "801" stands for August 1st, the day I graced the world with my presence 62 years ago.

I used to make my then-small daughter call me Mighty Queen because it was fun to see how angry she got. "You're NOT a queen! You're just a regular mother!"

Anyway, when I needed a screen name, that one came to mind, but I was not the first, so I added the birthday.

I once had a persistent religious nut who "discerned from God" that I was lying about being a female and not a gay man based on my name and kept sending me information about how I was going to hell if I didn't repent.

Old 10-29-2020, 02:16 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
I'd hate to <bleep> you off.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-29-2020 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: language filter

Old 10-29-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I'd hate to <bleep> you off.
I'm fairly mellow most of the time and known to be easygoing. It takes a while. But if I get there, it isn't pretty. My old boss, herself a woman who could make grown men tremble with just a look, saw me get there once, and I later overheard her tell another staff member, "You don't want to get MQ mad at you. It's scary."

ETA: I just realized this is the Joke thread and not the Chat thread. LOL.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:34 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
This. This is why I hardly argue with the religious anymore .
Attached Thumbnails
Atheist Forum Joke Thread-9792647_n.jpg  

Old 10-30-2020, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm fairly mellow most of the time and known to be easygoing. It takes a while. But if I get there, it isn't pretty. My old boss, herself a woman who could make grown men tremble with just a look, saw me get there once, and I later overheard her tell another staff member, "You don't want to get MQ mad at you. It's scary."

ETA: I just realized this is the Joke thread and not the Chat thread. LOL.
We've been enjoying it.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:40 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,792 times

Old 10-31-2020, 07:10 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,759 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism