Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
But your hokus pokus man on the moon did not give me the means to buy, make, build, plant, grow or any other means for that matter. I me myself and only me did it. And did it by myself. No outside influence be it real or fake. I chose my paths. Thanking a ghost for something he did not do is nothing different then me thanking you for providing me with food. Neither of you did it.

Well, Merry Christmas to you, too! Yes, that is sarcasm. I was just trying to explain. What a wasted effort. Maybe if you're in someone else's house you should just be respectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 12:02 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,505,098 times
As a believer, I am always afraid someone will ask me to say grace..One time many years ago my legalistic H asked me to say grace, I did only to have him immediately say another one, like he was correcting me..I do post in the prayer thread here, but that is the only public prayers I EVER do..I figure if I get shot down here, I can just "leavethe room"

Old 12-22-2008, 12:26 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,336,634 times
my favorite non-christian grace was Ben Stiller in the movie "The In-Laws"

(right before he knocked the urn containing the family cat's ashes off the mantel peice)

Old 11-15-2013, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 730 times
Thinking about this very issue today! My husband has suddenly rediscovered his Catholicism, and now we are entering a holiday season with his new super-Catholic friends. I am an atheist and always have been. I was once asked to lead grace as a child visiting a Catholic friend's home and refused politely - the family seemed shocked and became suddenly cold towards me. I was seven! So, here I am, 30 years later, frightened of being asked, and rightfully saying "no, thank you - I don't think I can do that." And shocking the kids and grown-ups alike! How can I make sure no one asks me as we settle down to eat? I am a respectful person, but I am not a hypocrite!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:29 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Just do this.

Christmas Vacation ~ Aunt Bethany Says "Grace" - YouTube

Old 11-15-2013, 08:30 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,721 times
Rhonda, you could say

1) How good it is that we are all gathered together.

2) We have a great deal to be thankful for.

3) In the coming year, we hope to become better people and to better appreciate the life we have.

4) We hope to do more to show the love we have for each other.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:32 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,240,057 times
Smile Something like ....

As we gather here today, we are thankful we have our families and so much food before us. We take a moment to thank those fighting for our freedoms wherever they may be and we are thankful for today!!

That's what Thanksgiving is about - not running out to the next store to get something.

Celebrate being together!!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,470 times
I just say I'm not good at leading prayer.

And if you do say something please leave out anything about fighting and war.

But," Celebrate being together!!" is a good thing.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:34 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,470 times
Come to think of it, Being together celebration , would be a better name for it than Thanks giving.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:56 AM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Come to think of it, Being together celebration , would be a better name for it than Thanks giving.
You can't technically "give" thanks to no one -- there has to be a receiver. Just because the original idea was to give thanks to god doesn't mean you can't give it to family and friends, to society, and that apart from giving thanks, one can be grateful for one's life, vocation and avocation (assuming you're being honest about that). So Gratitude Day works for me, it keeps the best of Thanksgiving but eliminates the implicit assumption of some form of deity or sentience watching over us.

In practical terms, however, I just declare the day "Let Go of Semantic Perfection Day" and then it turns back into Thanksgiving. Some battles are best left unpicked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism