Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 AM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaFigg View Post
Thinking about this very issue today! My husband has suddenly rediscovered his Catholicism, and now we are entering a holiday season with his new super-Catholic friends. I am an atheist and always have been. I was once asked to lead grace as a child visiting a Catholic friend's home and refused politely - the family seemed shocked and became suddenly cold towards me. I was seven! So, here I am, 30 years later, frightened of being asked, and rightfully saying "no, thank you - I don't think I can do that." And shocking the kids and grown-ups alike! How can I make sure no one asks me as we settle down to eat? I am a respectful person, but I am not a hypocrite!
I may face this issue during a mid-December trip to visit my older brothers ... one of them is still a fundamentalist and his oldest daughter and son-in-law live next door to him and will be present -- and the son-in-law is the pastor of a church. It's that brother's custom to have guests say the prayer over the food. I can't bring myself to do it anymore, and hilarity will probably ensue. Maybe, just maybe, I can do something brief and generic, addressed to no one: "We have much to be thankful for, this food in particular; may it be to our good health". I'm not sure which would shock them more, the refusal to do it at all, or the pointed absence of the normal decorations -- the preamble of "Father, " it not being addressed to anyone much less god, and the "Amen" postscript. Departure from the formula may be even more upsetting than total avoidance.

It's one of those things where no good can come of over-thinking it; I'll know what to do when the time comes. Partly it will depend on how much of a d-bag my brother is before the meal ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 10:07 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,267 times
Just another Festivus day.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:09 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Have something prepared in case you are asked.

If you have no religion, it is still appropriate to say something like:

How lucky we are to have such a group of good friends and such abundant good food on the table. There is much to be thankful for.

Leave it at that. There really isn't any excuse for making a scene at a family gathering, nor is it an appropriate place to expound upon your beliefs or lack there of, nor to criticize the beliefs of others.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Have something prepared in case you are asked.

If you have no religion, it is still appropriate to say something like:

How lucky we are to have such a group of good friends and such abundant good food on the table. There is much to be thankful for.

Leave it at that. There really isn't any excuse for making a scene at a family gathering, nor is it an appropriate place to expound upon your beliefs or lack there of, nor to criticize the beliefs of others.
I will be gentle, but also authentic. If there is a scene it will be made by my hosts. It is impertinent to assume too much of your guests or to put them on the spot, after all, so if I don't feel like playing along and they get their knickers in a twist it is their issue, not mine. Still ... I suppose I will pull something out of my poo launcher for the occasion.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:32 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
These days, if I am in someone's home, I politely wait through whatever grace is said. It would seem incredibly rude to make an issue of the at home private practices of someone who has been kind enough to invite me to a meal. If asked to say the grace myself, which I have not been for a very long time, I would offer my thanks to my hosts. If they want to add something about God in there, they can do it when I'm done.

I wasn't always like this, when I was a young smartass in my late teens, my grandmother made the mistake of asking me to say the grace before a family meal at her home. I did, but I delivered it in a loud imitation of a charismatic black preacher...."Awmighty Gawd! Would your power and light come through my body and BLESS this food!"....like that. My sister, also an atheist, thought it hilarious. Everyone else was royally pissed

Old 11-15-2013, 11:47 AM

542 posts, read 691,719 times
When I was young, we would often say grace before Thanksgiving meal when we had extended family members over. My mom, dad, sister, and I are not religious, but other family members are slightly religious. Grace always felt awkward - bowing the head and all. My dad often said it, as it would be at our house. He always kept it secular, although sometimes my aunt would chime in with something more spiritual. Once my grandparents had passed away, and it was just the four of us for Thanksgiving for one year, before we started to eat we all paused awkwardly, looking at each other. "Oh, should we say grace?" My dad paused for a moment, shrugged, then yelled, "Grace!" and then we all ate. It's become something of a tradition, as long as we don't have religious guests.

If I had to say it, I would keep it purely secular. I don't think it would be odd to do that; thankfulness comes in all types, and saying you're thankful for everyone to be together to share a meal, and hoping for a good year or something, wouldn't be wrong. I don't think religious people would fault a grace-sayer in that way after the grace was said. If I was in a situation with a lot of religious people, I might deflect the grace onto someone else, or maybe even say, "Well, I like the idea of doing it a bit differently, this year why don't we all say something. Who wants to start?"

Old 11-15-2013, 11:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Head 'em off at the pass...ask the hostess beforehand..."Oh and btw, I don't say Grace
so do me a favor don't ask me to say it today, kay? Thanks"

Seems that the money I spent on therapy...clears up issues very quickly.
No muss, no fuss. No big dramas, gee.

Boundaries and clarity...one of the keys to happiness....happiness= no anxieties about this
silly stuff.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:55 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,859 times
You could borrow Uncle Dave's Grace:

Thanksgiving & “Uncle Dave’s Grace” | I Paint What I See

Old 11-15-2013, 01:08 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
I think Rifleman would be pleased that his thread has been resurrected.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
These days, if I am in someone's home, I politely wait through whatever grace is said.
Same here, I was talking about being made to say it myself. My brother and I have a sort of unspoken "don't ask, don't tell" policy about my "spiritual" life but he assumes, AFAIK, that I'm just a backslider rather than a full-on unbeliever. The more I think about it, look, the guy is 72 years old and I don't want to ruin his day, so I may fake my way through it. I can probably handle that better than he can handle evidence of my apostasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism