Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:32 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,409,450 times

Advertisements

I'm asking this since the holidays are coming up. I don't know where I'll be yet but they all pretty much say grace before the meal. The funny thing is that NONE of my family is actually religious or goes to church but they all claim to be Christians for the most part. None of them know of my newfound beliefs anyhow. (although my mother has an idea of it...she kept trying to get me to read The Shack...we almost got in an argument over it!) So do you just bow your head and pretend or sit there in defiance and not bow your head. And god forbid (HA!) they ask me to say it! I'm torn between being true to myself or not rocking the boat!

I try to look at it from different angles. If a Christian were at a gathering with a Muslim host they wouldn't praying to Allah before eating. It is the same principle...right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 05:44 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,713,441 times
I just sit there. Since everyone's eyes are closed while grace is being said, they don't know that I'm not participating. And if I'm asked to say grace, I politely decline. No sense in rocking the boat when it wouldn't change anyone's mind anyway.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:52 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,893,424 times
I once had some friends visit who were religious and said grace before they ate. SWMBO and I refused to participate. We kinda lost touch with them after that!!

Old 10-16-2009, 05:56 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,409,450 times
Rafius...SWMBO??? Single White Males Being Obnoxious??? No that can't be it...

Old 10-16-2009, 06:02 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,893,424 times
She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:07 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,940,825 times
I just wait quietly, but I don't bow or fold my hands or anything. Respectful, but not participant.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:15 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,199,321 times
My husband and I stand in the back quietly until the others are finished. If somebody notices we didn't bow our head or whatever, then we just point to the kids and it's assumed we were supervising them.

I'm gonna miss that excuse when they get bigger. :|

Old 10-16-2009, 08:05 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,840,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
I just sit there. Since everyone's eyes are closed while grace is being said, they don't know that I'm not participating. And if I'm asked to say grace, I politely decline. No sense in rocking the boat when it wouldn't change anyone's mind anyway.
That's all one can do when someone clicks the 'perform act of reverence' switch. Just let them get on with it. I just hope they are as accommodating at a dinner party where God is not invited.

In fact, I must say that a theist friend and his family used to be invited to pitch into my hog -trough. Doing anything religious before ploughing in never even came up and to their credit they never insisted on praying or suggesting that we should.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:36 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,680,924 times
I have a crazy aunt who 'found Jesus' in jail a few years back (she's back in now... dealing meth apparently gets you in trouble, Jesus belief or not) and wanted me to say grace before Thanksgiving. Considering NOBODY in my family is religious (we don't even pretend to be) we were kinda thrown off. I decided to make a spectacle of myself, which is kind of expected at family gatherings, and I rambled on and on about 'grace' and the intricacies of christian belief (sarcastically of course) for about 5 minutes before my grandma couldn't bite her tongue anymore and started laughing. My aunt grumbled amen and we began to eat.

Usually, I just make silly faces since everyone's eyes are closed anyway. I haven't been involved with 'grace' since that fateful Thanksgiving 4 or so years back.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,025,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have a crazy aunt who 'found Jesus' in jail a few years back (she's back in now... dealing meth apparently gets you in trouble, Jesus belief or not) and wanted me to say grace before Thanksgiving. Considering NOBODY in my family is religious (we don't even pretend to be) we were kinda thrown off. I decided to make a spectacle of myself, which is kind of expected at family gatherings, and I rambled on and on about 'grace' and the intricacies of christian belief (sarcastically of course) for about 5 minutes before my grandma couldn't bite her tongue anymore and started laughing. My aunt grumbled amen and we began to eat.

Usually, I just make silly faces since everyone's eyes are closed anyway. I haven't been involved with 'grace' since that fateful Thanksgiving 4 or so years back.
Now THAT'S funny! but obviously not the same setting for the OP's situation.
I'd go with the respectful but not participant angle too just sit and wait till it's over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism