Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:16 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times

Advertisements

What do you guys do at a gathering when they say grace?

Grab a chicken leg while their heads are bowed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 06:30 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
Count the crumbs on the rug under the table

Old 11-07-2009, 10:20 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
2 way street????if it were a 2 way street camp pendleton would be out of business friend. somebody elses home somebody elses table, you owe when you walk in the door.
they dont have to meet your approval or your requirements to be worthy of respect, when you picked up that fork you owe it
2 way street--- people on the hood love to say that

All I owe my host is a bottle of nice wine and civilized behavior when I enter their home, not participation in their religious rituals. Respectful silence is what they'll get from me, and if that's not acceptable to them, I'm in the wrong hut.

If you ever dine at my table, I'll not expect you to NOT bow your head and pray just because I don't. You're free to do whatever preprandial ritual you feel like doing short of dancing on the groaning board.

That's yer 2-way street.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:46 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
We don't have any family around, so we don't have to deal with this.

But if I did, I imagine I'd bow my head, close my eyes, and imagine Nigella Lawson bringing the food to the table. Wearing an apron. And nothing else.

But that's just me.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:51 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
I try to be tolerant of other people. If someone wants to say grace before a meal, let them. I would bow my head along with the others. I don't see the big deal. I'm not participating. It's deference.

If I had a visitor staying at my home and they insisted on putting their praying carpet on the floor to face Mecca, let them. I won't be beside them doing it. Religious tolerance is something we should all practice.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:47 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Wink Praise this food, Oh Lord, which I paid for with my hard-earned money and with no help from you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
All I owe my host is a bottle of nice wine and civilized behavior when I enter their home, not participation in their religious rituals. Respectful silence is what they'll get from me, and if that's not acceptable to them, I'm in the wrong hut.

If you ever dine at my table, I'll not expect you to NOT bow your head and pray just because I don't. You're free to do whatever preprandial ritual you feel like doing short of dancing on the groaning board.

That's yer 2-way street.
Better question: would you attend a dinner if you knew that they would be expecting your sincere participation in a chanting Christian devotional ritual?

I'm actually insulted that they make the usual arrogant Christian assumption that, in a world filled with variations on Christianity, on Judeaism, on Islam, or buddhism or Shinto or Wiccan or Abo- coyote-dog-gods or....

...that their's is THE right religious dogma to be observed with muttered and stagnant chanting.

Frankly, I don't find myself in this situation so much any more, being mature and experienced and all. I have, for the most part, sorted out who are the religious BSMs* by now, and either don't get invited (the intellectual "resonance" just isn't there...) or I decline to attend.

*Bleeting Sheeple Masses

Old 11-11-2009, 11:16 PM

18 posts, read 29,438 times
When everyone bows there head I just close my eyes and picture myself rocking out with a mullet to the song "The Final Countdown"... No clue why...

And sadly, I'm being serious... it does make time go by faster and then if I keep my eyes closed after everyone opens theirs... They just think I'm really devout.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:13 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die to win, born to lose View Post
When everyone bows there head I just close my eyes and picture myself rocking out with a mullet to the song "The Final Countdown"... No clue why...

And sadly, I'm being serious... it does make time go by faster and then if I keep my eyes closed after everyone opens theirs... They just think I'm really devout.
"You know, that handsome Die To Win; he's so deep!"

Good one!

Old 11-20-2009, 09:18 AM

1,549 posts, read 2,583,412 times
I just politely bow my head and think about things I am grateful for

Old 11-21-2009, 07:09 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times
I will look around to see how many other heathens are in the room. It lets me know where the better conservations will be and in some cases where people who I might enjoy knowing are sitting. It also lets me see those who are Catholics, and those who are protestant. This is handy information if you don’t want to insult somebody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism