Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:29 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times

Advertisements

[quote=Lamplight;1173129 One day, when my mom and my dad (a preacher) were here helping me, a group of them stopped by which I hadn't seen in a long time, and before they left they suddenly wanted to pray.

They also wanted to form a circle and hold hands, which was kind of a foreign concept to me even when I was a Christian.

Oh well. Best not to dwell upon it.[/quote]

Or.... do dwell on it, and invite your parents, but then also invite your atheist friends and some of their friends to your house for an informal semi-secular house-warming party. Don't forget your parent's preacher! Also make sure you invite some Wiccans, heathens, chicken-bone readers or... over as well, and make sure they engage in a playful, all-smiles Wiccan house blessing. Maybe you could clean up and use some of the KFC remnants in an unofficial bone reading, right there on top of the laquered black Baby Grand Piano? Just a suggestion....

If your parent's contingent want to "fight back" (Lord! We need to re-bless this house! It's been sullied!"), you can loudly announce that they already did their thing, and you just sought a spiritual "balance". Sort of like what the FOX network strives for!

It will surely tell your lovely parents something about the new you, the mature you, the "I think for myself, thank you VERY much!" you.

But be prepared to get your parent's and their guest's coats shortly after...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 02:53 AM

127 posts, read 364,622 times
My husbands family says a prayer before dinner with everyone just standing around (we do a buffet style meal), so I just stay out of the room until they're done. No one notices.

When I was a kid I would just sit there and feel really weird. My parents weren't atheists, but we weren't brought up going to church or even knowing the concept of god, so I really didn't understand why we did that at gatherings with the extended family. I didn't even know that Easter was supposed to be a religious holiday until I was in junior high.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:18 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
This year we have a pair of catholic coming to Thanksgiving dinner and I suspect my wife will struggle with this question. In our case we will have a gathering where 80% of the people are non religious. The question in our case is reversed, and the issue is what should the christians minority do when they come to a dinner with people who do not accept their myth and might be offended with pagan recitals being preformed over their dinner. Should we expect them to go to another room and do the chants out of our hearing, or should they pretend to go into a mini coma and say their blessing in silence over just their plates. The shoe is on the other foot, and I wonder how they will react when the religious are the minority and the blessings are omitted.
I hate to bring the lab environment into the house, but it will be interesting to see how a strong catholic will react in an environment where they are no longer part of a christian majority. It is like having a sociology experiment going on at thanksgiving dinner.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:35 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Honestly, I'd be much less likely to keep it a secret if I weren't afraid of hurting my parents.
This part I can understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Or losing my job.
But this is the Bible Belt terrorism I was talking about.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:11 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
This year we have a pair of catholic coming to Thanksgiving dinner and I suspect my wife will struggle with this question. In our case we will have a gathering where 80% of the people are non religious. The question in our case is reversed, and the issue is what should the christians minority do when they come to a dinner with people who do not accept their myth and might be offended with pagan recitals being preformed over their dinner. Should we expect them to go to another room and do the chants out of our hearing, or should they pretend to go into a mini coma and say their blessing in silence over just their plates. The shoe is on the other foot, and I wonder how they will react when the religious are the minority and the blessings are omitted.
I hate to bring the lab environment into the house, but it will be interesting to see how a strong catholic will react in an environment where they are no longer part of a christian majority. It is like having a sociology experiment going on at thanksgiving dinner.
It's likely they will just bow their head themselves and say a silent prayer before eating.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:31 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
I normally just play along. I know what I really believe, and participating in a little prayer circle for what's usually just a minute or less isn't gonna change anything. It's really not worth the drama to make a fuss over it.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:39 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
What do you guys do at a gathering when they say grace?

Laugh!

Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Or.... do dwell on it, and invite your parents, but then also invite your atheist friends and some of their friends to your house for an informal semi-secular house-warming party. Don't forget your parent's preacher! Also make sure you invite some Wiccans, heathens, chicken-bone readers or... over as well, and make sure they engage in a playful, all-smiles Wiccan house blessing. Maybe you could clean up and use some of the KFC remnants in an unofficial bone reading, right there on top of the laquered black Baby Grand Piano? Just a suggestion....

If your parent's contingent want to "fight back" (Lord! We need to re-bless this house! It's been sullied!"), you can loudly announce that they already did their thing, and you just sought a spiritual "balance". Sort of like what the FOX network strives for!

It will surely tell your lovely parents something about the new you, the mature you, the "I think for myself, thank you VERY much!" you.

But be prepared to get your parent's and their guest's coats shortly after...
Oh man, these are some great ideas! But the only other non-Christian I know is my brother. However, if it were just my parents and my brother and I, at least the balance between Christian and atheist would be equal. Getting my parents' preacher would be simple; my dad is a preacher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
But this is the Bible Belt terrorism I was talking about.
I should state that I don't know for certain that I would lose my job, though I do believe it would be a possibility. At the very least I would certainly make a few enemies at work, including my boss. In the interest of self-preservation in tough economic times, I find it's probably best to keep this quiet, no matter how frustrating it is.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:33 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
I just stay respectfully quiet and try not to smirk.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:01 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
This is all the more important because too often people mix religion with Thanksgiving. So, if your family wants to say grace, think of prayer in this context ...

To them, it is giving thanks for being able to be together. To you, it is the same. While they mix some sun worship in with their thanks, you don't ... no need to make a big deal about it. You don't have to repeat what they say. If they ask, just say you prefer to be in "quiet reflection" rather than state things out loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism