Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:06 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,861,348 times

Advertisements

Yep, probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 01:30 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,533,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Yea but do you know how many different gas stations bp sells gas to? I see everything from racetrack trucks to small gas station trucks coming and going from that bp place on Bolton Rd allllll the time. Dont think that just because you dont go to bp stores that you're not buying their gas.
Exactly! "Big Oil" industry is called "big oil" for a reason: it's virtually an oligopoly with little competition. It's almost impossible to enter into because cost barriers are so high. Solution to having to enter the drilling part of gas station supplies: buy it from the folks already doing the work! You sell the gas with a slight profit margin.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:33 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,069,641 times
Unfortunately, boycotting BP does indeed have little effect on the gas giant and instead hurts the "small people".

Why boycotting BP could hurt small businesses and not BP oil company - by Leigh Goessl - Helium

Old 06-23-2010, 02:24 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,376,346 times
dont care, never been a customer, they are always the most overpriced station here. karma!

i never saw a reason to shop there when qt is 30 cents less across the street, AND with service the snoozing clerk at bp can't even dream of

Old 06-23-2010, 05:35 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,572,374 times
Check out this video of The Great Oil Spill

I know it doesnt effect Atlanta but still...check it out.

YouTube - The 2010 Oil Spill - A Pictorial of Disaster (in HD)

Old 06-23-2010, 08:08 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,406,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
When I told my husband I bypassed BP in order to fill up at Chevron, he said, "So you'd rather give your money to Hugo Chavez?" Uh....didn't think of that.
Your thinking of Citco, not Chevron.

I don't buy BP due to the price not the spill, usually along with Chevron they are the most expensive.
Now, with the 20 B BP provided to the relief fund BP still maintains over 1 Trillion with a T in reserves. They as a corporation will not be hurt.

Now here is the overall question in regard to this whole mess.
There are relief ships in the ocean wanting to help, but this administration refuses citing the Jones Act. Would this be to assist the Union coffers that helped with his election?

BP paid 20 Billion to the fund, is this inclusive of the 970,000 in campaign donations to Obama's campaign?

A hold has been placed on all off shore drilling for 6 months and if resumed new drilling cannot exceed 550 yards, however the nationalized company in Brazil called PetroBras (Petro Brasil) can drill to over 2500 yards even today.
This administration has also committed through the Import/Export Banking Exchange, 2Billion in US backed loans to PetroBras even though the oil giant made over 15 Billion last year. Let's not also forget that the IEB is chaired by Nancy Pelosi's nephew.
Since the news is beginning to leak on this many large investors have sent PetroBras stock soaring by gaining over $4.00 per share in one day.

Who is the largest shareholder of PetroBras? George Soros Who was the largest and most active donor to this administration? George.

The release of this in the news yesterday and today along with Rod Blago's trail may cause some new ruffles with this group of currupt cronies. Even Emmanual will be receiving a supena this week

So No, I don't shop at BP or "Beyond Petro" as they liked to advertise during the 2008 campaign for our current administration.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:32 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,893,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
BP paid 20 Billion to the fund, is this inclusive of the 970,000 in campaign donations to Obama's campaign?
Obama did not take any campaign contributions from corporations or PACs. The money reported as given to his campaign by "BP" was individual donations from BP employees. As the biggest raiser of individual donations in the 2008 Presidential campaign, naturally Obama got the most donations from BP employees - and probably most other corporations you could think of.

Meanwhile, here's full info on the politicians who do receive BP contributions - including Saxby Chambliss and Johnny Isakson: BP Contributions to Federal Candidates | OpenSecrets

Old 06-24-2010, 07:55 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Unfortunately, boycotting BP does indeed have little effect on the gas giant and instead hurts the "small people".
Well, sometimes you have to "break eggs to make an omelette" and that logic is flawed to some extent. Those stations buy their fuel wholesale from BP. I agree that boycotting the food mart part of the station is useless, but if no one bought gas from BP, I think it would send a message.

Personally, I believe in the free economy, and my family is boycotting BP. Maybe if some people are scared away from being a franchise or enough people boycott their fuel, the message will sink in. In any event, I cannot in good conscience buy from one of their stations. Very sorry if someone is inadvertently hurt.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:07 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,527,581 times
Personally I prefer to buy gasoline from a company that uses the least amount of foreign oil and BP tops that list. I don't like making rich countries richer when they treat thier women like doormats or worse.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:08 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,572,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
dont care, never been a customer, they are always the most overpriced station here. karma!

i never saw a reason to shop there when qt is 30 cents less across the street, AND with service the snoozing clerk at bp can't even dream of
Interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta