Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 10:48 AM

4,464 posts, read 6,359,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Not really what I was looking for, but when you resort to snarky retorts using your little Barney's example do you honestly not expect people to respond?

And no, there is NOT more high end retail in DFW than Atlanta. They have some things that Atlanta doesn't, just as Atlanta has some things DFW doesn't.

There's no way around that, and nothing you say will convince me otherwise.
I am not a poster threatened by Atlanta. I recently moved to Dallas from there. I was in Atlanta for almost 7 years. I check in the room from time to time to see whats going on. I usually only comment on the Dallas threads. Bloomingdales was my favorite department store in Atlanta. Its sad that the Perimeter Location will be closing but the Lenox store is all that is really needed in that area, its a great store with an awesome mens section. Bloomingdales is said to make a comeback to Dallas and that would be a nice addition. I wouldnt say having a Bloomies makes Atlanta more upscale or even on the same level as Dallas, their lines are more contemporary (which is my style). Dallas has 3 Neiman Marcus stores (Huge flagship downtown), 2 Saks Fifth Avenues, Barneys NY & 4 Nordstrom stores which are all more high end than Bloomingdales. Between Highland Park Village, NorthPark Center, Galleria Dallas and Shops at Willow Bend there is simply a lot more high end retail throughout the Dallas area. There are many other nice malls and outdoor lifestyle centers in the area as well, but those are the main players when it comes to high end shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 10:51 AM

4,464 posts, read 6,359,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Or maybe it's just simple jealousy, who knows?

I think I would be a little jealous of Atlanta if I had to live somewhere less attractive, lush and hilly, but that's just me.
umm lets not go overboard here lol. I think theres quite a bit more reasons to not be jealous of Atlanta rather than be jealous of its rural character.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:01 AM

468 posts, read 792,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I am not a poster threatened by Atlanta. I recently moved to Dallas from there. I was in Atlanta for almost 7 years. I check in the room from time to time to see whats going on. I usually only comment on the Dallas threads. Bloomingdales was my favorite department store in Atlanta. Its sad that the Perimeter Location will be closing but the Lenox store is all that is really needed in that area, its a great store with an awesome mens section. Bloomingdales is said to make a comeback to Dallas and that would be a nice addition. I wouldnt say having a Bloomies makes Atlanta more upscale or even on the same level as Dallas, their lines are more contemporary (which is my style). Dallas has 3 Neiman Marcus stores (Huge flagship downtown), 2 Saks Fifth Avenues, Barneys NY & 4 Nordstrom stores which are all more high end than Bloomingdales. Between Highland Park Village, NorthPark Center, Galleria Dallas and Shops at Willow Bend there is simply a lot more high end retail throughout the Dallas area. There are many other nice malls and outdoor lifestyle centers in the area as well, but those are the main players when it comes to high end shopping.

Its hasnt been confirmed that bloomies perimeter will be closing so dont write it off yet.. Dallas is loosing stores also Maz Mara, Gorgio Armani.. as well as gaining. Yes we understand there is more high end in Dallas But the 2 Bloomies does add a great addition to the Niemans the 3 Nordstoms and Saks.. There are stores opening up in Atlanta Fendi Zegna. 2011 streets of Buckhead will finally open with some stores that arent in the Dallas market. Dallas is a big trade area.Greater Dallas gets a leg up from the 175-acre Dallas Market Center, the world's largest wholesale trade complex... We I beginning to see you for who you are.. You seem to have been very bitter in Atlanta and found a city that fits you... But Ive read some of your post regarding Atlanta and they havent been really nice so. I dont know what you have against Atlanta. But like I said before. They Atlanta you lived is definitly not the Atlanta I have experieced.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:04 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,419,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
umm lets not go overboard here lol. I think theres quite a bit more reasons to not be jealous of Atlanta rather than be jealous of its rural character.
LOL! I guess when you're surrounded by all of that concrete, prairie and minimal to no tree cover Atlanta could be considered a little "rural" to some.

I prefer to think of it as a beautiful urban forest combined with much more attractive topography.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:08 AM

468 posts, read 792,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The same reason you continue to get banned and recreate accounts.
Excuse me, Banned. I never been banned I just found out about this site sir. I doesnt take a rocket scientist to make observations. And realize certain things on this board.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:09 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,857,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
so let me guess, in order for me to be even-handed i should give in and say "oh yeah, atlanta and dallas are equal in high end shopping. there is no difference". is that what you're looking for?

at the end of the day, there is more high end retail in dallas-fort worth than there is in atlanta. there's no way around that
You are definitely being biased.If you said "in your opinion" that would be different because it would not be stated as fact.But you said "at the end of the day, there is more high end retail in dallas-fort worth than there is in atlanta. there's no way around that".

Ok so prove it.How do you know this is true?Because you said so?

It should also be noted that Perimeter Mall is kinda upscale also.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:11 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,852,043 times
OH lord here comes the Texas posters over dominating the Atlanta Threads as usual... They know how to get arguments going on here

Old 07-10-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
bon temps rouler
I know right.Wait for it...wait for it...LOL

Old 07-10-2010, 11:16 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,599,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
Reading one of my favorite Atlanta blogs, Tomorrow's News Today - Atlanta, I came across this comment concerning the nature of fashion retailing in Atlanta compared to Dallas:
Rachael said...
I'm a resident of Dallas and love your blog because I used to live in Atlanta.

It's funny how Dallas, a city that is very much like Atlanta in its layout (requiring the majority of the population to utilize their cars), is much more successful in bringing new fashion lines to the public. The several existing nodes of high-end retail in Dallas far exceed Atlanta in terms of flagship offerings, international boutiques, and local boutiques that carry all the latest in little-known couture.

The closures of these boutiques (referring to a recently shuttered store in Buckhead) prove that Atlanta is not (and probably will never be) as sophisticated and stylish as the other cities that it shares the top 10 metro population list with. A recent visit to Atlanta included a loop around Lenox Mall on a Saturday and, without trying to make any judgements as to race, NO one was buying Louis Vuitton or Kate Spade and the people that would buy them wouldn't attempt to go to that mall given the crowd I saw. Bakers Shoes and Aeropostale, however, were packed.

I also made my first trip to the Mall of Georgia. Can I just say that I'm surprised that Nordstrom and A/X are okay with being neighbors to a tacky urban-clothing store? Is that indicative of the direction of what was otherwise a beautiful mall (with lots of vacancies).

I hate to be critical, but clearly Dallas (and even Houston) have a residential retail market that are willing to take more risks than Atlantans.

Interesting. Do the Texas cities have more money to spend and a more progressive attitude towards fashion than Atlanta?
Prior to transfering to Atlanta I thought it was a fashionable city. Atlanta DOES have alot that others do not have, after being here 2 years...Miami is the King of the south. And this aint a diss to Atlanta, but there is not enough dressing up here in Atlanta. In the suburbs its even worse. Especially with guy showing their underwear.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:29 AM

I have experience in upscale home furnishings and I will say that for the home,Atlanta is definitely better than anywhere in the South except Miami.Many stores that only have one location in the South have located in Atlanta as there only store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta