Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:24 PM

84 posts, read 253,642 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Like many people here, my husband and I too are relocating to Atlanta from the DC area. And of course we know very little about the city as well! The furthest south we have lived is VA! My answers to the questions posed in the sticky thread are below.

We're looking forward to the opportunity to try out a new city and meet new people although I have to admit I'm afraid of being a little homesick! But anyway, any help this forum could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

1. Budget - up to $600K although with just 2 of us we don't need a gigantic 6 Bed/Bath mansion by any means!
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - House with a nice yard set back off the road and a pool
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - He will work just west of Sandy Springs, I can work from home. Prefer a commute of no more than 30 minutes, less is more though.
4. Children(public school vs. private) - No children currently but will probably have our first in the next 3-4 years. We would prefer to not put our theoretical kids in private schools though. :-) So I guess that means good schools are necessary.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - A good mix. We currently live in Arlington, VA which is just a few minutes from DC but is definitely the suburbs. Lots of good restaurants, bars, cool things to do which is fabulous though. We don't cook so an area with lots of good (non-chain) restaurants is high on our list.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - Not particularly important but always a bonus if Atlanta is anything like DC.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - low crime, other early/mid 30 somethings, we don't care about status symbols or keeping up with the Joneses though. Our cars are both 8 years old so buying into a neighborhood where everyone drives a brand new BMW or Benz isn't our style. We're pretty laid back and would prefer to be around like minded people. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 06:25 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,527 times
I would suggest staying in the Sandy Springs (30342,30328) area b/c of the short commute for your husband. Close to everything but not in the midst of it all. Also maybe check out Dunwoody, GA(30338,30350) as well as the East Cobb area (30067,30068). Dunwoody is a nice area just north of I-285 and not too bad of a drive intown. East Cobb in the aforementioned zips are close enough as well so the drive won't be that bad and the schools I hear are some of the best. As far as a pool is concerned you may have to settle for a community pool or an older house, 70's 80's, early 90s. These areas are all a manageable drive to intown neighborhoods that have tons of non-chain restaurants/bars etc. As far as public transit Atlanta is definitely no DC, but the public rail system (MARTA) has a couple of stations that are in/close to the Dunwoody, Sandy Springs area.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:25 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,471 times
Check out the Virginia-Highland neighborhood if you want to look intown. You could always live in Sandy Springs, but it's definitely very suburban. If you want something a bit more interesting and sophisticated you should definitely consider an intown neighborhood like Va-Hi.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:14 PM

Thank you both! The Va-Hi neighborhood looks interesting. Smaller houses which is great for us and some interesting Craftsman styles homes. What kind of commute would that be to the CDC?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:40 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhippie1 View Post
Thank you both! The Va-Hi neighborhood looks interesting. Smaller houses which is great for us and some interesting Craftsman styles homes. What kind of commute would that be to the CDC?
Super close to the main campus of the CDC -- like 5 minutes (you could even bike in theory if you're into that). Reverse commute to Sandy Springs but driving in Sandy Springs gives me nightmares so you'd want to work out a good route.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:39 PM

235 posts, read 344,603 times
Quote:

Good god yes CDC is just one neighborhood over from Virginia-Highland (in Druid Hills). You guys should DEFINITELY look at Virginia-Highland (no 's' in highland but it's ok to say "The Highlands"). it has everything you're looking for -- great houses, restaurants, shopping, commute, PERFECT! And living in a neighborrhood called VIRGINIA-Highland, you shouldn't be homesick!

Old 07-24-2010, 07:29 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I'd highly recommend Brookhaven. Lots of good options in your price range. If you liked Arlington you'd problaby enjoy Brookhaven. Very laid back, no crime, great shopping at Lenox and Phipps, easy MARTA access if you need it.

We've live in Virginia Highland and much enjoyed it but it's not the easiest place to get in and out of.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:57 AM

Thank you all again! You've given us some great areas to start with, I truly appreciate it!

Old 07-26-2010, 04:25 AM

4 posts, read 7,754 times
I recommend Alpharetta. I'm biased, I live there. It's relatively laid back, very very safe (our police are fantastic), and the schools are excellent. While there are some very snooty upscale neighborhoods, there are also some more normal subdivisions. We live within walking distance of a huge city park (wills park), that has everything including horse trails, dog park, pool, bike trails, tennis, etc. Although this place is very much the suburbs, it also has a bit of small-town feel....as much as you'll find in an Atlanta suburb anyway.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,043 times
Default RE: Another DC to Atlanta Transplant in Need of Help!

If you're looking to be in areas where there's lots to do for younger folks, without an annoying commute, I would pick anywhere intown, or inside the perimeter - this will be perfect for your price range. Look up the following Intown Atlanta neighborhood places online & see what you think: Druid Hills (near Emory University), Decatur (around downtown Decatur), Oakhurst, Virginia Highlands, Candler Park, Inman Park, Grant Park, Midtown, Little Five Points, Kirkwood, East Atlanta Village, Ormewood Park. Some areas of Roswell are closer to intown and may be even closer to where your husband will be working. I hope not to offend anyone with the next section, however I'm sure I will: most people would agree that if you don't want snooty, avoid Buckhead. The Western side of Atlanta can be either sketchy or country, and Cobb County (NW of Atlanta, is more Republican, and takes longer to get to in rush hour traffic, as does Gwinnett County (NE of Atlanta). South Fulton, Clayton, & Henry Counties (South of Atlanta) can also be sketchy or country, depending on the city. Again, it all depends on your perspective, personality, and lifestyle.

It would be best if you could visit to see what matches your personality & lifestyle, your tolerance of traffic & transportation issues, and the distance from work. Many people live outside the perimeter (b/c the houses are a lot more affordable), but if commuting isn't your thing, and you like the conveniences of a bigger city, you may want to pay more money to live intown. Personally, I would never want to live in Sandy Springs or Alpharetta, b/c I think the traffic is horrible & I don't do anything in those areas of GA - they are suburbs of Atlanta. I choose to live Intown b/c traffic drives me crazy, I like city living, & I don't have children. Most people drive, so the traffic & congestion has gotten worse over the past 20 years b/c the way our roads are set up - they're not conducive to dealing with the huge increase in population, as well as the increase in apartments and condo buildings (thanks a bunch, city planners!). MARTA, our public transportation system doesn't run on a grid system, like other efficient big cities, so it takes forever to get to work if you choose to use it, depending on your location & how far you must travel). The city planners are currently discussing these problems, but it's wise to consider these things before you move to an area that you'll regret later. I know someone who moved to Smyrna & she's regretting it b/c it's so far away from her friends and the city.

Good luck with your search!

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Like many people here, my husband and I too are relocating to Atlanta from the DC area. And of course we know very little about the city as well! The furthest south we have lived is VA! My answers to the questions posed in the sticky thread are below.

We're looking forward to the opportunity to try out a new city and meet new people although I have to admit I'm afraid of being a little homesick! But anyway, any help this forum could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

1. Budget - up to $600K although with just 2 of us we don't need a gigantic 6 Bed/Bath mansion by any means!
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - House with a nice yard set back off the road and a pool
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - He will work just west of Sandy Springs, I can work from home. Prefer a commute of no more than 30 minutes, less is more though.
4. Children(public school vs. private) - No children currently but will probably have our first in the next 3-4 years. We would prefer to not put our theoretical kids in private schools though. :-) So I guess that means good schools are necessary.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - A good mix. We currently live in Arlington, VA which is just a few minutes from DC but is definitely the suburbs. Lots of good restaurants, bars, cool things to do which is fabulous though. We don't cook so an area with lots of good (non-chain) restaurants is high on our list.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - Not particularly important but always a bonus if Atlanta is anything like DC.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - low crime, other early/mid 30 somethings, we don't care about status symbols or keeping up with the Joneses though. Our cars are both 8 years old so buying into a neighborhood where everyone drives a brand new BMW or Benz isn't our style. We're pretty laid back and would prefer to be around like minded people. Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta